Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 PM

Default New Waders?

HEY

So I got some money from christmas and I realize I need some new waders. I always got BARE but they keep failing me. So I'm wondering what other brands/models you guys really like. Something that is durable, comfy, and good quality. Any input is appreciated.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 PM

Redington Sonics are some of the best waders on the market.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 PM

Orvis Silver Sonics have great reviews, Dave jensen loves his.

Cant go wrong with simms stuff either. Their bottom of the line waders are pretty damn good. Freestone or the Headwaters.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 PM

Simms, American made, Montana actually. I bit the bullet and spent the money, never regretted it. They leaked, and when I phone they pretty much knew my kneeling habits and how many times I wore them just by my description of where they were leaking. Repairs would have been free but they have a really good tutorial on the web. I am well satisfied, but will say this whatever you buy stay off your knees.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 AM

Love my Simms waders. Wouldn't go with anything else, they have never ripped or leaked on me. Great name, great company.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM

Yeah Mid range Simms would be the best. I find the higher end ones have alot of features that i dont really care about.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM

SIMMS ALL THE WAY

i recently got a pair of Simms G4Z, best investment ever. i've used cheap waders while waiting for my size to come in, after 4 trips out i ended up getting a leak.

i've been out 15 plus times with these new waders and yet to feel any wear on them. they feel solid

you get what you pay for
Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM

Wardell waders have treated me well for quite a few years. I'm not sure if they're made in Calgary, but they are distributed by Springbrook, which is based in Calgary. They're the same company that distributes TFO rods, and their service has a good reputation, through their Calgary location.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 PM

I got a pair of Simms G4 a few Years ago and they are awesome, very durable, spend the $ now , i went thru 2 pairs of cheapie's before I stepped up.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 PM

Mine are G4 convertibles that I picked up at Cabalas Canada on sale for 350. I thought I was going to hate the convertible part but I love it, never had the top up yet, just wear them as waist waders.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 AM

Smile

Reddington Sonic are a good wader. But Simms G3's or G4's are more durable, but also more expensive.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:13 AM

Patagonia make awesome breathable waders, excellent quality and warranty and the price isn't too bad either. I've switched from Simms and will not be going back.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM

Redington Sonic Pro-wader pant. I asked myself, Why do i need a chest wader in summer???????? anyway i never wade deep that my waist.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:26 PM

Don't be silly.
Buy Simms.
There are so many good customer service reviews, ie-returning waders that are like 5+ years old and a new set sent to the customer the next week.
A fantastic product from a fantastic company.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 PM

Just bought wifey some SIMMS waders for christmas.They had the best reviews I could find on www.Now I wish they were mine.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 PM

Just bought my new Simms Waders late last year and love them!! If you are willing to wait a few weeks for shipping, try reelflyrod.com - they are having a sale on Simms waders right now. My waders cost me 36% less than bass pro (including shipping & duty). I'm not in any way affiliated with the website, but they were the cheapest I've found, and I was happy with thier service. Tried on the waders at BP to find out my size.... I hope you dont work there!

I'm sure there are heaps of good waders out there, but the zipper on the Simms was a game changer for me.

Hope the info helps.
-J
Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
I got a pair of Simms G4 a few Years ago and they are awesome, very durable, spend the $ now , i went thru 2 pairs of cheapie's before I stepped up.
Completely agree (except I went through 3 pairs). I have Simms G3s. Well worth every penny especially if you plan to fly fish in the winter.

(FYI I find the point of diminishing returns about $500 for rods, $250 for reels, but you get exactly what you pay for with waders. By diminishing returns, I mean that I do not have the skill or experience to truly feel the advantage of an $800 rod over $500 rod. But like I said, with waders, the difference is clearly apparent)

Why would I choose chest waders over waist even in the summer time...
If you are a big walk'n'wade person, the time will come when you fall in. Not a big deal in the summer, but in spring and fall, a 3km walk with freezing river water in your waders is miserable. I fall about twice a year.

I would say that I probably walk 150km per year. Simms puts their seams in the right spots so they do not wear when you walk.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM

Default Patagonia

I have had both Patagonia ( my previous set, my wife's current set) and Simms g4z ( current) and both are worth considering. I would never pay $800 for them ( and I didn't) but they are an awesome wader. Bow River Troutfitters has their Patagonia waders on for 40% off ( limited sizing) as does country pleasures (30%). Patagonia is changing their models. Both Patagonia and Simms have lifetime warrantees and I can confirm that they stand behind their products ( I have abused that privilge). Go with the Patagonia the price can't be beat for one of the best waders on the market!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:49 PM

Default Waders

Simms

Alba gu brath!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:39 PM

My wife and I both have Simms and wouldn't go back! Made in USA and great durability and construction. I've owned a few other brands though too, and never had issues...just prefer the Simms now that I bucked up for them!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM

Simms all the way,
I have the G4's and the wife has the G3's and they really work well and we have not had any issues with them. Made out of very durable material and well thought out. You pay for what you get. If you dont have the money, I would hold off and suck it up until you save up a little more as you will not have to buy a pair for a long time. Buying 2-3 cheap pairs will amount to the cost of a good Simms pair very quickly.