Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-19-2013, 12:54 PM

Default Fly Fishing rig for me and casting rod for the lady.

So, I need some input mostly for a rig for my wife to start fishing with me. I have done a fair amount of trout fishing years ago in BC, and alot of saltwater, but know little about Alberta and have yet to fish here. Please bear with me, as I really want to get the missus fishing. Shes a really small lady so anything working for a teenage girl would probably apply too.

I will be primarily fishing off the shore, there is no boat in my near future. Trout will be my aim, Im somewhat familiar with catching them. We like to camp at Carson Pearson, I hear mcleod is a great trout hole. We also frequent calling, wabamun, pigeon, and cold lake so walleye and pike are not out of the question either. She has no experience and, I love her, but shes not very co-ordinated.

I had a 5'6 "Lady" uglystik in mind which is med action. The wife is small, and in my hands the Lady version seemed it would fit her hand better. Any feedback from owners or alternatives in the price range of 50$ on a bare rod.

The reel will be a simple button style caster, remember the co-ordination issues? I feel it will get her casting faster and having fun sooner. Any opinions here very welcome. There seems to be a dozen styles in the 30 to 50$ price range, but ease of use, tangle free, and simple tool free maintenace is key here. Recomendations anybody as I have no experience with these reels. Probably going to spool a 10lb line.

Bait and tackle recomendations welcome, but I can probably waste some peoples time at the shore figuring out that part.

I would also like an opinion on a fly rig I am going to purchase. TFO Lefty Kreh signature 2 pc with a reddington rise reel (on sale for 124$) with 90ft of rio gold line all in a #6wt. Ill get a lake grab bag from icky flys who I hear good things about.

I feel its a good rod, in my price range, and the right size and wt for anything in alberta Ill want to catch. Is there a big advantage getting the Ti over the regular signature series Rod? And, I will rarely if ever pack the rod, shore fishing primarily at the lake, is a 2pc better than a 4 pc? Any input on the reel? I also looked at the delta series, its substantially cheaper. Im looking for a forgiving setup here.

I planned to buy everything new from Wholesale as I have some Gift Cards to blow... Used is not out of the question either.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:24 PM

That tfo setup with the rise is pretty awesome if you're getting it for 124. Rio gold line in itself is 70 bucks. Thats a steal!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:58 PM

no just the reel is 124
Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 PM

I am assuming you are buying the older (discontinued) version of the rise. I have it as well (with rio gold line)and enjoy it, but if you decide in a year or two you need another spool for it you may have a hard time finding one.

I never tried TFO , but not many people here complain about them so must be good.

I use Pflugers reels (trion and president)and Shimano rods (sojourn and voltaeus) when I am not fly fishing. Whatever you do do not buy a closed face reel for her because you will spend more time untangling it then fishing.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:39 PM

I took the advice of no close face reel, and we decided on an abu garcia rod, mostly because she thinks its "pretty". We picked a simple rear drag open spool, Diawa reel she liked and should all come in assembled at $120 or so.

I found for myself a sage flight 9 ft in 5 or 6 wt for $199. Anybody have an opinion on buying a discontinued rod? There are some great deals on some sage and reddington rods now, all models that have been or will be discontinued. What would warranty be like? I still like the Idea of a tfo from calgary, but the sage flight is 120 of retail.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 PM

I bought a Redington CPX rod on sale last winter and sent it in for warranty last fall because the locking ring for the reel wasn't tightening up enough. Redington sent me a brand new Link to play with now. So I guess Sage/Redingtons policy is to send you the current equivalent rod being produced.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint guy View Post
I took the advice of no close face reel, and we decided on an abu garcia rod, mostly because she thinks its "pretty". We picked a simple rear drag open spool, Diawa reel she liked and should all come in assembled at $120 or so.

I found for myself a sage flight 9 ft in 5 or 6 wt for $199. Anybody have an opinion on buying a discontinued rod? There are some great deals on some sage and reddington rods now, all models that have been or will be discontinued. What would warranty be like? I still like the Idea of a tfo from calgary, but the sage flight is 120 of retail.
All the FLI-ghts that ive had have been awesome (in my mind) for their price. Have the 5 weight, and is a very stiff rod, but its great for casting into our winds. Sage will stand behind their rods, warranty wont be an issue if that's your concern.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the input. Seems a great deal expired model or not.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak1138 View Post
I bought a Redington CPX rod on sale last winter and sent it in for warranty last fall because the locking ring for the reel wasn't tightening up enough. Redington sent me a brand new Link to play with now. So I guess Sage/Redingtons policy is to send you the current equivalent rod being produced.
Nope,

They will replace with what you have unless it isn't availible anymore. Because Sage builds their rods in Bainbridge, Washington they keep the mandrels and material so you are most likely to get the same model you sent in.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 PM

Bought myself a sage flight in 4wt. Ironically enough somebody had a 6wt up for trade on a buy and sell add I have, bummer for me. Anyway, Its a nice rod rod in my hand. I have yet to get a reel and cast it but its going to be my rig for the summer.

My next question, is there anybody who would care to make a suggestion on some flies to get me started? Trout on stillwater, early season... Mcleod lake if you have a favorite pattern you like to share?

I was going to grab a lake grab pack, and possibly the nymph pack from icky fly's. Anybody use them?

Theres also a fellow in buy and sell with chironimid kits... has anybody seen one? I would like to pick one up if he has any left.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint guy View Post
Bought myself a sage flight in 4wt. Ironically enough somebody had a 6wt up for trade on a buy and sell add I have, bummer for me. Anyway, Its a nice rod rod in my hand. I have yet to get a reel and cast it but its going to be my rig for the summer.

My next question, is there anybody who would care to make a suggestion on some flies to get me started? Trout on stillwater, early season... Mcleod lake if you have a favorite pattern you like to share?

I was going to grab a lake grab pack, and possibly the nymph pack from icky fly's. Anybody use them?

Theres also a fellow in buy and sell with chironimid kits... has anybody seen one? I would like to pick one up if he has any left.
Adam ties wicked chironomids. I'd pick those up if he's got any left. Lake selection and that chironomid kit would do you good for spring!