Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-20-2014, 06:49 AM

Talking 70 and 80 yard shooting. Still a dead deer. lol

Having so much fun with the bow.... the guns are collecting dust.

So fortunate to gain permission for shooting... 12-13 minutes from where i live.

Decided to play with the Dial Of Death on the Montana Black Gold Ascent. Walked iut ton70 and 80 . I can shoot waaày better than with a rifle ... but still its a dead deer

70 yard groups

80 yards ..........

Youll notice the green and pink arrow.. its tipped with a S.G.H. , and is a heavier arrow. I use them for grouse and it didnt quite make it at 80 yards lol. Shot under the brisket and into the targets i had set up behind the deer.

Looking forward to Saturday!! But under pressure im sure ill choke
Old 08-20-2014, 06:53 AM

Thumbs up

It got too dark to see way out there.. so i moved into 40 yds. I could make out the deer target..sort of. Let one fly. I know i hit the target by the sound. So i just aimed at the lighted nock for the next two lol notbwhere ibwoukd have wanted it. But couldnt see lol. Tight

Almost robinhooded and arrow.. but nope just damaged a $10 nock haha

Last shot of the night.. but with headlights

Thanks for all the tips guys on the woodland buck. Really enjoying it.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:03 AM

If you want to hunt at 70-80 yrds buy a muzzle loader.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFK View Post
If you want to hunt at 70-80 yrds buy a muzzle loader.
Not that a guy hunts at 70-80 yards. Its just nice to feel confident to be able to shoot 70 and 80 yards. I practice at 60 - 80 yards for a month before archery season. With the right conditions i feel i can make a better shot at 80 yards with my bow than I can free hand with a rifle.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 AM

I agree fill your boots practicing great stuff. I just get a little bent out of shape when guys tell me they hunt in excess of 80 yrds. Lobbing arrows and praying isn't what bowhunting is about.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
I agree fill your boots practicing great stuff. I just get a little bent out of shape when guys tell me they hunt in excess of 80 yrds. Lobbing arrows and praying isn't what bowhunting is about.
Agreed 100%
Old 08-20-2014, 07:24 AM

Cool

I dont see where i said i planned on hunting at that range.

But what i do know is ive been told if you practice long range... shorter ranges are made easier.

Have some coffee.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:28 AM

When ever I go and practice, I will start shooting at 70 or 80 yards, and move in. By the time I get to 50 and 40 it almost doesn't seem fair being that close. It's all a mental game and that is what helps me focus and shoot better with in my comfort zone for hunting, I will shoot at an animal inside 50 yards
Old 08-20-2014, 07:40 AM

Nice shooting ABB!!!! It's great to challenge yourself to those long range practice shots - makes the hunting distance shots seem way easier....

My buddy and I were out on Sunday "lobing" a few arrows at extended distances. Another guy joined us and when we stepped back to 60 yards, the guy piped up "Why shot at these distances?" to which my buddy replied "Makes the short shots seem almost automatic..."

In further discussions with the two of them, I stated that I feel the old saying "practice at twice the distance and expect half the accuracy" comes into play.... My buddy asked what I meant:

1) Practice at twice the distance of your self-determined MAX effective hunting range (for me, that MAX hunting range is 40 yards)
2) Under hunting conditions (wind, unseen twigs, animal movement, ADRENALINE coursing through your veins), expect half your normal accuracy.

If I can manage a *good* rule of thumb for accuracy for practicing - 1" per 10 yards, then expect that to double under hunting conditions. If I can manage to practice at 80 yards and achieve 8" groups at that distance while practicing, then I could expect that under those hunting conditions above, I *should* be able to achieve the same accuracy (8") at my MAX hunting range (40 yards).

*NOTE: I've stated my MAX hunting range. I try very hard to take shots substantially closer than that to alleviate "Murphy" coming into play....

J.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
Not that a guy hunts at 70-80 yards. Its just nice to feel confident to be able to shoot 70 and 80 yards. I practice at 60 - 80 yards for a month before archery season. With the right conditions i feel i can make a better shot at 80 yards with my bow than I can free hand with a rifle.
I like to shoot for PRACTICE at long distance too....sometimes up to or further than 100 yards....but it is more for fun and I would never shoot that far on an animal.

90 yards....see the target?

Point of aim was middle dot....

LC
Old 08-20-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I like to shoot for PRACTICE at long distance too....sometimes up to or further than 100 yards....but it is more for fun and I would never shoot that far on an animal.

90 yards....see the target?

Point of aim was middle dot....

LC
I do so, I also know you can shoot pretty darn good at long range as was it not you who won the long range shot at Dual Cams Shoot this year in the rain I might add?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:51 AM

You go ABB...most of the long distance shooting critics are the ones that cant do it..

Agreed with the above that state it takes outstanding form and skill to shoot out past 60 yds...70 yd shooting makes 30yd and 40yds seem like 20yd

I say shooting 80 yards is the best 40 yd practise you can shoot...

Outstanding shooting Sir

Neil
Old 08-20-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
I do so, I also know you can shoot pretty darn good at long range as was it not you who won the long range shot at Dual Cams Shoot this year in the rain I might add?
. For some reason I can manage to get lucky on these long shot competitions...

Arrow hit to the left right on the line of the 10 ring. It was my second of a possible 3 shots, and yes we were soaked!

LC
Old 08-20-2014, 08:35 AM

A hunter I enjoy watching and reading about is Cameron Hanes. He believes you should practice at double what you want to shoot a deer/elk/moose at because like stated above, it makes those shorter ranges seem shorter than normal and boost your confidence.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 AM

Ya his youtube videos are amazing.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 AM

So how do your broadheads fly at those distances?
Old 08-20-2014, 09:48 AM

This is shooting at 85 yards using my 80 pin.

Look at the drop 7" I pulled a touch on the last shot aiming for that white patch and I am shooting a 81 lb spyder turbo 311fps
Unless you know your exact yardage down to the yard and that the animal you are shooting will not move at all I don't think an ethical shot can be taken at those long ranges. Shooting targets is exactly that targets they do not move but it's great practice and so much fun shooting way out there watching the arrow fly
Good luck everyone a few more days.. I'll be up in the mountains starting tomorrow
Old 08-20-2014, 09:51 AM

Pete......... IHavent tried them that far. But at 40 yards.. they are hitting with my FP in the same group... same at 50yds

Using Grim Reaper Hybrids..

Refer to......

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=227194

Old 08-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Banned

very nice shooting big bore. I am planning on visiting a friend next week that has targets set from 30-80 yds. Right now all I have to practise with is 20 yds. Looking foreward to getting a little practise at longer distances.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:14 AM

I know where petew is coming from/going to....test your gear at all ranges you intend on hunting at, no different than rifle hunting. The arrow flight/KE at extended distances varies greatly from closer ranges.

LC
Old 08-20-2014, 10:27 AM

I know what he meant

And.... only practicing far out.. .... but shootung broadheads 4 days a week out to 50
Old 08-20-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I know where petew is coming from/going to....test your gear at all ranges you intend on hunting at, no different than rifle hunting. The arrow flight/KE at extended distances varies greatly from closer ranges.

LC
Yup...... I can miss just as close at 80 yds with my broadheads as I can with my Field Tips...lol

Neil
Old 08-20-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
You go ABB...most of the long distance shooting critics are the ones that cant do it..

Agreed with the above that state it takes outstanding form and skill to shoot out past 60 yds...70 yd shooting makes 30yd and 40yds seem like 20yd

I say shooting 80 yards is the best 40 yd practise you can shoot...

Outstanding shooting Sir

Neil
x2 I have fun shooting 70.80 and sometimes 90 yards to
Old 08-20-2014, 11:17 AM

I will be practicing out to 100 yards. Not that that is my hunting range ... Most distance I would shoot at an I wounded animal is 70 yards.
Years ago this range was 50 yards as represented by my fixed four pin sight, I shot a muley buck at about 15 yards that spun just as I shot it maybe caught one lung and the liver a fatal shot no doubt but it would have been a waiting game.
The buck ran around a dug out and offered me a 70 yard broadside shot I was able to make a perfect double lung by placing my 50 yard pin just above his back...... Would have I taken that shot as my first shot no but on a already wounded animal you got nothing to loose so for that reason alone is why I practice beyond my target range.The fact that it is fun and help hone and test your skills is also a big factor.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:24 PM

I see no problem with practicing that far. I usually practice 40-60. Makes me feel more confident focusing on a further target and achieving tight groups. Most places i hunt are within 40 yards. And the last Deer I shot was 15 yrds. Still good to practice.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:34 PM

Like most of the experience bow hunters have already stated, I practice long range shoots regularly(80+ yards). I tune my BH to hit same point at long distance, its a long pain streaking process but worth it's wieght in gold for the confidence I have in my set up.

If you are not practicing at longer ranges then you are doing yourself a disservice. My first pin is set at 30 yards and I rarely ever practice shooting closer than that, unless I am bareshaft tunning; it just seems to close. And that's the whole idea of extending your practice ranges; - too make the typically bow hunting range shot a gimme in your mind.

Good shooting ABB.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I know what he meant

And.... only practicing far out.. .... but shootung broadheads 4 days a week out to 50
Just some words of advise here, I see you are putting a lot of effort into archery this year and I commend you on this....

Now, season is near and it is a totally different game ( excuse the pun )

Forget the fun stuff and start concentrating on what is important in a hunting situation to make this season a memorable one...

Shoot sitting, lying, off one knee, ect to mimic what you will see in the field... Form is one thing, but actual opportunity usually does not allow for all things perfect...

If your planning elevated hunts, start now learning how to achieve consistency from your stand... Time and time again we all see opportunity go out the window when the shooter is not a hunter with the stick and string...

Nothing worse than the feeling you get when stuff happens in the field..

All the best and keep on throwing the sticks
Old 08-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Bent out of shape eh? Why?
Taking a pot shot and praying is only your mindset.
There is nothing wrong with long distance kill shots.
It all comes down to skill and confidence.

That's impressive distance marksmanship ABB.
Keep that rolling and you will be able to shoot at a live target some day.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Just some words of advise here, I see you are putting a lot of effort into archery this year and I commend you on this....

Now, season is near and it is a totally different game ( excuse the pun )

Forget the fun stuff and start concentrating on what is important in a hunting situation to make this season a memorable one...

Shoot sitting, lying, off one knee, ect to mimic what you will see in the field... Form is one thing, but actual opportunity usually does not allow for all things perfect...

If your planning elevated hunts, start now learning how to achieve consistency from your stand... Time and time again we all see opportunity go out the window when the shooter is not a hunter with the stick and string...

Nothing worse than the feeling you get when stuff happens in the field..

All the best and keep on throwing the sticks
More wise words.........add 1/2 CC of pure Adrenaline to the factor and your set....lol

Neil
Old 08-20-2014, 01:45 PM

You know I can remember when Chuck Adams...a finger shooter with compounds...with a second generation compound bow was shooting critters out to 50-60ys with a bow...

wholly crap Controversy...he was a demon...unethical...a mad man!!!

Chuck was the first archer to complete the "Super Slam" - the taking of all 27 species of North American big game. He has also bagged 111 Pope & Young record-book trophies and 181 Safari Club International records, more than anyone else in history.
Chuck is the only bowhunter to complete five Grand Slams on American deer, and hold five Pope & Young World Records. At age 50, he is the youngest archer ever inducted into the Bowhunters Hall of Fame and SCI Bowhunters Hall of Honor.

Neil