Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Sledhead71;2526577]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxor View Post

We will get there soon I think Luxor

Pretty tough to account for "live" practice rounds legally How do you account for this LARGE variable while your practicing ?

You just can't compare practice to real world scenario's, or our cocky provincial champ friend wouldn't have to eat crow as he would be dining on back straps !!! LOL
Haha maybe we're getting closer but not even a real hunting or game situation can include all the variables that could occur.
But we try in practice..
Are we there yet? Lol

The main thing that can't be practiced is the heart pounding excitement of a real shot
Old 08-22-2014, 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=Luxor;2526589]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post

Haha maybe we're getting closer but not even a real hunting or game situation can include all the variables that could occur.
But we try in practice..
Are we there yet? Lol

The main thing that can't be practiced is the heart pounding excitement of a real shot
I think our trains have met in the same station now ! All the best and may your stainless find it's mark this season....
Old 08-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Sledhead71;2526594]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxor View Post

I think our trains have met in the same station now ! All the best and may your stainless find it's mark this season....
Choo chooo all aboard!!!! Lol
Have a great one
Old 08-22-2014, 12:50 PM

Thinking you both where on the same "track" heading the same way...

lol

Neil
Old 08-22-2014, 01:16 PM

I don't have the skill to make 80 yard shots while hunting. But people do do it and are pretty good at it. Tim Wells comes to mind. I also think that he has gotten to that point with lot's of real hunting practice. He has a lot more bigger game to to practice on or should I say cull, the same way some practice on gophers. Feral Pigs as an example. I am guessing that after enough time a hunter can predict what the animal is going to do to a certain degree to compensate or tell if the animal is going to take a few steps. I have also seen him make a few bad shots where the animal was never recovered. On the same token I have seen hunters make bad shots at 20 yards. Bottom line is to know your limits and take the shot when you are 99% sure that you can make it. I'd say 100% but there are always variables that are out of your control and if someone thinks that 1% will never happen to them just hasn't hunted long enough.

If a guy wants to take a 80 yard shot at a deer and is 99% sure he can make a good shot I don't have a problem with it.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:38 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Yup, 80 yards is easy with a bow nowadays but the mention of "hang time" was bang on. It takes a long time for an arrow to go 80 yards and in that time all the animal needs to do is take one step and it goes from an "atta boy" to another wounded animal.
Spot on, I love the still target shooting, my farthest is 50 yards but 30 and under when hunting

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-22-2014, 01:48 PM

Talking

For the record... ill be setting up my Dial Of Death on the MBG Ascent for 90 and 100 yards tonight... lol !! and some more practice for tomorrows shoot

Gonna choke hard.. i know it. Where can a guy pick up one of those charts showing the kill zones on the 3D targets they use? Could always use google out in the course
Old 08-22-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
For the record... ill be setting up my Dial Of Death on the MBG Ascent for 90 and 100 yards tonight... lol !! and some more practice for tomorrows shoot

Gonna choke hard.. i know it. Where can a guy pick up one of those charts showing the kill zones on the 3D targets they use? Could always use google out in the course
That's why you bring binos....the cards I have hardly ever get used.

LC
Old 08-22-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I don't have the skill to make 80 yard shots while hunting. But people do do it and are pretty good at it. Tim Wells comes to mind. I also think that he has gotten to that point with lot's of real hunting practice. He has a lot more bigger game to to practice on or should I say cull, the same way some practice on gophers. Feral Pigs as an example. I am guessing that after enough time a hunter can predict what the animal is going to do to a certain degree to compensate or tell if the animal is going to take a few steps. I have also seen him make a few bad shots where the animal was never recovered. On the same token I have seen hunters make bad shots at 20 yards. Bottom line is to know your limits and take the shot when you are 99% sure that you can make it. I'd say 100% but there are always variables that are out of your control and if someone thinks that 1% will never happen to them just hasn't hunted long enough.

If a guy wants to take a 80 yard shot at a deer and is 99% sure he can make a good shot I don't have a problem with it.
Watched him make a shot in some -stan country on a some Kinna Sheep...had to be 100yds if straight...he was up on a cliff...so it must have been a couple hundred yards ...and the sheep was running...away...SMACK...nailed it...

I would have missed that with my .300 Tikka...lol

Neil
Old 08-22-2014, 01:54 PM

Excellent. Binos are already in the bino chest pack.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Banned

We practice out to 150 yards. Makes your 50 yard shot feel like it is 15 yards.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Watched him make a shot in some -stan country on a some Kinna Sheep...had to be 100yds if straight...he was up on a cliff...so it must have been a couple hundred yards ...and the sheep was running...away...SMACK...nailed it...

I would have missed that with my .300 Tikka...lol

Neil
Yes, he is somewhat of an exception when it comes to shooting a bow.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residentguide View Post
We practice out to 150 yards. Makes your 50 yard shot feel like it is 15 yards.
Ya.. its crazy. Ill shoot 60 to 80.. move into 20 and it seems like you could throw a knife at it lol
Old 08-25-2014, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Ya.. its crazy. Ill shoot 60 to 80.. move into 20 and it seems like you could throw a knife at it lol
Exactly. We try and strive for less than 3/4 MOA with a bow all the way out. We are shooting 6-8" groups @ 140 yards. Also shooting long range helps get your bow tuned way better. Tested a broad head at 100 yards to see if it was tuned. Bang on and ready to go.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:06 AM

Default The way i feel

If you are not shooting 80,90,100. It is because you cant of your gear cant. The bottom line becoming confident and smooth at these ranges make you a better shoter. Everyone should strive to be the best shooter they can be. Why. A better shoot can make a more pin point shot. At ranges close as and at distance. Why because you have any flaws out as a shooter too shot that long range, there is no room for mistake in a group at 80,90100M. As for hunting Set your limit stay with in it, stay ethical on your distance , and be the best shooter you can be . If your tack driving 90 you hooden them at 40. Just because you shoot the long distance all those closer distances dont disappear out of the shooting guide. Nice shooting im sure they will get even tighter in the following weeks!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 AM

Ha.. no they they wont. Dry fired at the 3D. Waiting on new strings
Old 08-25-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Ha.. no they they wont. Dry fired at the 3D. Waiting on new strings
Ouch how early in the competition. Good news is the Prime limbs should be fine lol tough ass bow's
Old 08-25-2014, 07:49 AM

29th target out of 50 i believe. Refer to my other thread
Old 08-25-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Exactly. We try and strive for less than 3/4 MOA with a bow all the way out. We are shooting 6-8" groups @ 140 yards. Also shooting long range helps get your bow tuned way better. Tested a broad head at 100 yards to see if it was tuned. Bang on and ready to go.
Well a 6-8 inch group is pretty dang impressive at 140 yards (1/2" MOA)....your pin alone takes up at least 6-8 inches of the target at that distance.

I would love to see a video of this!!!
Old 08-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Well a 6-8 inch group is pretty dang impressive at 140 yards (1/2" MOA)....your pin alone takes up at least 6-8 inches of the target at that distance.

I would love to see a video of this!!!
Actually your pin does not cover that. Maybe yours does but mine sure does not. Sorry have no video of it to post. You can believe what you want but I don't need to come lie on a forum to make myself look good. I am stating what we do to make us a better shot for hunting. Animals are more important than a piece of paper or some foam target IMO. This is why we shoot year round and shoot outside in elements to make it as close to a hunting situation as possible.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Actually your pin does not cover that. Maybe yours does but mine sure does not. Sorry have no video of it to post. You can believe what you want but I don't need to come lie on a forum to make myself look good. I am stating what we do to make us a better shot for hunting. Animals are more important than a piece of paper or some foam target IMO. This is why we shoot year round and shoot outside in elements to make it as close to a hunting situation as possible.
Don't get me wrong not calling anyone a liar. I would really like to see that though. To consistently shoot a 6-8" group at 140 yards is outstanding. If you don't already you should take up competition shooting!!
I have .10 pins and even they will cover a 6" dot at 140 yards
Old 08-25-2014, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Don't get me wrong not calling anyone a liar. I would really like to see that though. To consistently shoot a 6-8" group at 140 yards is outstanding. If you don't already you should take up competition shooting!!
I have .10 pins and even they will cover a 6" dot at 140 yards
ok I see what you are saying. My .10 pin is probably 6" further forward than your set up. I have a 11" bar or my sight. I have it as far as I can from my bow to make that pin look even smaller. I have thought about competing but it does not really interest me enough to do it yet.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:59 PM

That's some great shooting, ABB. I especially can identify with the part about your rifles collecting dust. Archery sure is fun!