Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-26-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illustrated1 View Post
Would I be able to use my single pin? It's what I hunt with. I have to enter open classes with my hunting bow due to my single pin.
Im not positive but bowhuter use to be i think 4 pin fixed max no adjustable sights. You could shoot with your single pin but no adjustments allowed.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Im not positive but bowhuter use to be i think 4 pin fixed max no adjustable sights. You could shoot with your single pin but no adjustments allowed.
You are correct Mike, 4 pin max no adjustments after the first arrow is shot.

This "Hunter" class is going to be different, it likely will not follow to a "T" the old/current archery canada/IBO/ATAA rules....again this is all at the zygote stage...more information will come, the biggest thing is people need to speak up to say "yes I will participate"

And even bigger the people need to show up to shoot and have fun!

LC
Old 03-26-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

This "Hunter" class is going to be different, it likely will not follow to a "T" the old/current archery canada/IBO/ATAA rules....again this is all at the zygote stage...more information will come, the biggest thing is people need to speak up to say "yes I will participate"

LC
Yeah more shoots like the "hunter" fun shoot we has last summer at bowbenders would be great!!!!
Keep me posted let me know if I can help!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:28 PM
Banned

Default hunter class

Quote:
Specs on the equipment will be put forth at a later date, more and more guys are shooting with single pins on hunting setups. This should be an "inclusive" class more so than "exclusive" is my thoughts....most of all it should promote participation and fun.

My post here is just to gauge the interest level.

LC
How long until guys are claiming that they hunt with their target bows? Don't think it won't happen. I agree with inclusiveness for sure, but it will eventually happen that Mr Vbars claims he uses that in his ground blind....maybe because he get crushed in the open class. More of a devils advocate sort of thing, but you know what I'm saying, those people exist a lot. Cheers and good job promoting to have shoots include the class.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:29 PM
Banned

Default hunter class

...more information will come, the biggest thing is people need to speak up to say "yes I will participate"

LC[/QUOTE]

I'd be in Lefty.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
How long until guys are claiming that they hunt with their target bows? Don't think it won't happen. I agree with inclusiveness for sure, but it will eventually happen that Mr Vbars claims he uses that in his ground blind....maybe because he get crushed in the open class. More of a devils advocate sort of thing, but you know what I'm saying, those people exist a lot. Cheers and good job promoting to have shoots include the class.
There will be rules

I totally know where you are coming from with your thoughts....the guy with the target colour CPXL or bright purple Pro-Edge likely will have to have an extremely convincing argument as to why they hunt with that....like they just dry fired their PSE thunderbolt

Remember the drive for this will be participation for the Hunter....likely there will be prizes/recognition for the top folks, but again more will be presented at a later date, I just need the "Hunter" type shooters to show up when things get underway.

The target folks have their class, if they want to compete in this they have to bring the hunting bows.

LC
Old 03-26-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:

LC

RE-garding the Sights Pins issue...

This is new for 2015 from Archery Canada...as with IBO

Fixed-pin sights

The description for fixed-pin sights is made more consistent for Compound Fixed Pin and Hunter Divisions.

AC 22.9.1; 22.11.1 Bow sight must be fixed and:

· must not be adjusted on the course during competition, whether or not the sight can be moved without the use of tools.

· use pin, cross-hair, or circle style pins

o circle style pins are permitted if the circles are of one size;

· shall not incorporate any lens, whether magnifying or not

· may incorporate a levelling device

· may incorporate a light to illuminate the sight

Number of sight pins for Hunter Division

The restriction on the number of sight pins for Hunter Division equipment is removed. The fixed-pin sight may now use more than 4 pins. Ref: AC 22.11.1

Which may be something to discuss or consider...makes sence to me as most pins are sold at 3-5 or 7 pin....and most our bows are set up with more than 4 pins...shame to have remove three pins just to shoot...lol

Should be #1 rule >>>Show up to shoot and have fun!
looking forward to it!!
lol
Neil
Old 03-26-2015, 03:58 PM

Again....rules will be discussed/determined.

I am going to put this out there....even if you have never made a post on AO before and you are a "lurker" simply reply to this thread with an "I am in" and if the family is in reply, " I am in with 3" or "I am in with 5"

Thanks folks, let's get some new folks out....don't be hung up in equipment or class descriptions.

To undertake something like this we need people to speak up with their bodies at registration....so we need people who are curious about "foam hunting" to take the plunge, this year is the year to give it a go!

LC
Old 03-26-2015, 04:05 PM

I said I would be in and my son would be in as well
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 03-26-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm360 View Post
I said I would be in and my son would be in as well
Excellent!

LC
Old 03-26-2015, 04:23 PM

MOAS was my first shoot in 18 years. Looking to get back into again. yes, am a member of ABA.

I dont undersatnd the whole fuss about the "hunter" division. Shoot in the bowhunter (MBR) class. Shoot fixed pins like everyone else there.

My hunting setup would kick me to the open class as i shoot a moveable pin. I shoot a 14 in front stabilizer and at times a short v bar. So if i can prove that i hunt with it does that make me eligible to shoot in the "hunter" division?

I think so many guys are hung up on little details. Go shoot, have fun, keep score...or not.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:17 PM

For one shoot I'd travel take a room or camp. The social aspect is awesome with 3d archery. I've met many friends through the ABA. Savings my pennies for my lifetime membership. For me when ever I shoot 3d the only thing that's different is not having a broadhead on my arrow.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:27 PM

I would be in. Never tried it before just my own targets in the woods.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:44 PM

As of right now I don't currently own a bow but that will be changing very soon. When I get one I will be willing to take every chance to get out and shoot. And may be able to convince a friend or two to join as well.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:18 AM

I would be in, I enjoyed the bow benders shoot last year a lot of fun
Old 03-27-2015, 06:02 PM

We plan on attending a couple shoot this year, I enjoy traveling and camping at the shoots, meeting new people renewing old friendships, shooting my bow in realistic hunting conditions, it's all fun to me. I owe a friend a favor, he took up bowhunting last year and his wife enjoys shooting her bow, so I am going to pay there entry fee and take them to a shoot this year. Can't wait to see how much fun they have. I encourage everyone I know that has a bow to attend a 3d shoot. There is something for every archer there, friendly helpful people, competive people, traditional shooters, target shooters, hunter class. The point is regardless of all the rules etc, you can make the shoot into anything that pleases you as long as you are safe. I personally go to improve my hunting skills and relax. Figure out what works for you and have fun. See you out there this year, you won't regret it.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:58 PM

Depending on when the shoot was I'd be in. I really wanna make it to a shoot this year.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:25 PM

Plus four more...newbie but enthusiastic
But that's what it is all about...
Neil
Old 03-27-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
Depending on when the shoot was I'd be in. I really wanna make it to a shoot this year.
You can find a shoot just about every weekend, watch for postings here,ABA 's websight, posters at archery shops, most active clubs host one or 2 shoots a year. Hope to see you at a shoot.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:58 PM

I'm in on any Saturday gotta work on Sundays to pay for my toys
Old 03-29-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB View Post
We plan on attending a couple shoot this year, I enjoy traveling and camping at the shoots, meeting new people renewing old friendships, shooting my bow in realistic hunting conditions, it's all fun to me. I owe a friend a favor, he took up bowhunting last year and his wife enjoys shooting her bow, so I am going to pay there entry fee and take them to a shoot this year. Can't wait to see how much fun they have. I encourage everyone I know that has a bow to attend a 3d shoot. There is something for every archer there, friendly helpful people, competive people, traditional shooters, target shooters, hunter class. The point is regardless of all the rules etc, you can make the shoot into anything that pleases you as long as you are safe. I personally go to improve my hunting skills and relax. Figure out what works for you and have fun. See you out there this year, you won't regret it.
This is truly what it is about....getting out, meeting folks, and having a blast flinging arrows.

Quite a few of us felt it was a shame the "Hunter" class has been, "reduced" shall we say....so we figure forget that we I'll come up with our own thing to get us back to our roots (or as close as we can muster up).

Again participation is key to the success with this, if we don't have shooters....then we don't have a challenge...

LC
Old 03-29-2015, 05:42 PM

Finally got myself a bow so I'll be shooting at our clubs shoot. See how bad the bug bites me lol. Are you going to be there Lefty?
Old 03-29-2015, 05:48 PM

I'm going to try for a couple and see how it turns out , looks like fun and great practice. My guess it'll end up with spending $$$ and a dedicated target bow.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Finally got myself a bow so I'll be shooting at our clubs shoot. See how bad the bug bites me lol. Are you going to be there Lefty?
If you mean the Whitecourt shoot, yes I should be there for sure! It's a can't miss shoot.

LC
Old 03-29-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
If you mean the Whitecourt shoot, yes I should be there for sure! It's a can't miss shoot.

LC
Yep, that's the one. I'll be participating/helping out this year.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:18 PM

I would be in for sure.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:20 PM

Just want to bump this thread to let folks know we are making headway to creating something we hope the archery, 3d archery, and Bowhunting folks in Alberta will embrace and show their support for by simply showing up to shoot and have a great time doing it!

LC
Old 04-08-2015, 08:57 PM

Extremely like the proposed rules and classes...or lack of ...a realistic bowhunter round that will be enjoyable, awesome practise that the whole family or your crew regardless of shooting level can enjoy...looking forward to it!!
Neil
Old 04-08-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post

I'd be in Lefty.
Is that consensual? Lol
Punctuation is important... (add comma before Lefty)

I can't commit to it at this time but I definitely have interest in 3d. I like the ideas put forth about this bowhunter class. I'd not participate sooner than change my equipment to qualify.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:57 AM

I know it was mention about scoring if you miss or wound you are deducted points, not sure this is a good thing I know to make an unethical shot when hunting will result in this but when we hunt 90 % of us use a range finder... so unless you plan on letting range finders to be used any deduction would be unethical IMO
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff