Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-18-2016, 02:00 AM

Post Effective distance for a bow.

Hi all, I've been bowhunting for 1 year now, was unsuccessful with a deer my first year but managed to harvest a great bear (by my standards anyways) id love to be able to leave the rifle at home and hunt strictly bow, I was wondering at what distance would my bow still be able to make an ethical kill, I'm aware that it should be a distance where I am comfortable shooting, at the moment I shoot a Hoyt nitrum turbo with 65lbs draw weight, I use 340 grain Easton fmjs with a 100gr cut on contact broad head.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:27 AM

Practice, practice, practice, and when you think you've practiced enough... Keep practicing and get comfortable with your pins and the flight path of your arrows, with broad heads on, as well as with the grabbers for small game.

You have a nice lil setup, can't go wrong with a Hoyt,

40yards man.. Max.. And I don't mean right now.. Make your way up to it and get comfortable the only way any of us may.. Practice our butts off!

Muscle memory will kick in and become natural, and without thought.. Other than dbl checking the level while under loaded draw (with safe backstop only, of course)

People have made shots at 50+, even 80 yards.. Mind you there is not much ethic in attempting that for a "Greenhorn"
Hey I've been bow hunting and an archer for 30 years, and only thing I'd take a shot like that is in practice or varmint etc.

We need that penetration, and the energy behind the arrow to push the arrowhead deep into vitals.

I wouldn't even think about anything beyond 40 yards, 45 on big game.

Again practice.. And hey.. Don't worry about official targets to practice on.. As long as you have a "block" or another safe backstop.. Tear off a wee piece of paper (I use lil 1" square pieces.. And use that as an aiming point. If you can hit that from your distance, you're doing well.

And remember, everything changes an ethical shot. Foliage, wind, elevation differences etc.

Have fun! And welcome to the lifestyle😉

Oh and most important! Double Lung!!

Also, other things to consider would be your hunting situation.. If you're in a tree stand..and they come in tight.. Expandables are great! They'll open up and create a nice wound channel.. At a distance they lack the energy needed to expand properly.. Oh and they fly like field points too! 😇

I'd say keep them within 25 yards, and stick with a good solid (I use 1 piece 3 blade broad heads) for any other distance.

Then again I busted my back in several places 5 yrs ago on the job, and haven't been able to get at er again yet. Think I'm ready.. And everything still counts I'm sure, unless some drastic changes have taken place since.

Others will chime in shortly I'm sure to help you out!

Enjoy! You shall likely become that much more in tune with your environment and the animals habits in doing so. And stealthier no doubt.

Geeze I'm dying to restring me ole bow and get back into it.. Thank you for urging me to reminisce about it.. Light the lil fire

Jonny
Old 06-18-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seige View Post
Practice, practice, practice, and when you think you've practiced enough... Keep practicing and get comfortable with your pins and the flight path of your arrows, with broad heads on, as well as with the grabbers for small game.

40yards man.. Max.. And I don't mean right now.. Make your way up to it and get comfortable the only way any of us may.. Practice our butts off!

Muscle memory will kick in and become natural, and without thought.. Other than dbl checking the level while under loaded draw (with safe backstop only, of course)

People have made shots at 50+, even 80 yards.. Mind you there is not much ethic in attempting that for a "Greenhorn"
Hey I've been bow hunting and an archer for 30 years, and only thing I'd take a shot like that is in practice or varmint etc.

We need that penetration, and the energy behind the arrow to push the arrowhead deep into vitals.

Again practice.. And hey.. Don't worry about official targets to practice on.. As long as you have a "block" or another safe backstop.. Tear off a wee piece of paper (I use lil 1" square pieces.. And use that as an aiming point. If you can hit that from your distance, you're doing well.

And remember, everything changes an ethical shot. Foliage, wind, elevation differences etc.

Also, other things to consider would be your hunting situation.. If you're in a tree stand..and they come in tight.. Expandables are great! They'll open up and create a nice wound channel.. At a distance they lack the energy needed to expand properly.. Oh and they fly like field points too! 😇

I'd say keep them within 25 yards, and stick with a good solid (I use 1 piece 3 blade broad heads) for any other distance.

Then again I busted my back in several places 5 yrs ago on the job, and haven't been able to get at er again yet. Think I'm ready.. And everything still counts I'm sure, unless some drastic changes have taken place since.

Enjoy! You shall likely become that much more in tune with your environment and the animals habits in doing so. And stealthier no doubt.

Geeze I'm dying to restring me ole bow and get back into it.. Thank you for urging me to reminisce about it.. Light the lil fire

Jonny
Agreed with Jonny! Practice is most important. You shouldn't even worry about what the maximum is... because chances are it won't be ethical or reasonable for you to attempt it in the field until you are extremely proficient with your bow (in which case you wouldn't be asking this in the first place )...
I personally wouldn't shoot at an animal past 30 yards. The reason I bring my bow is so that I can get close and make an ethical, clean shot. If I was shooting farther, I would bring a rifle.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:40 AM

I have been hard at archery for 15 years and shoot a lot.
my range on a large animal is 50 yards using a 70 lb bow with fixed broadheads and a 435 grain arrow, deer 40.

Interestingly, at our 3D shoot we have a steel deer with the vitals area cut out. don't hit the vitals your arrow is toast.
out of 25 archers, 80% make it past 30 usually, 40 yards knocks out about half, only 3-4 make it past 50 yards, 1 or 2 to 60 using field points!

if are comfortable shooting broadheads to 50, make your effective range 40, under pressure with adrenaline pumping making the perfect double lung shot gets tougher.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

[QUOTE=jack-of-all-mastr-of-none;3257515]Hi all, I've been bowhunting for 1 year now, was unsuccessful with a deer my first year but managed to harvest a great bear (by my standards anyways) id love to be able to leave the rifle at home and hunt strictly bow, I was wondering at what distance would my bow still be able to make an ethical kill, I'm aware that it should be a distance where I am comfortable shooting, at the moment I shoot a Hoyt nitrum turbo with 65lbs draw weight, I use 340 grain Easton fmjs with a 100gr cut on contact broad head.[/QUOTE

Ok so if and when you group 5 arrows in a five inch diameter circle then you have found your effective range, the bow and said equipment can kill well past 100 yards...
Many variables come into effect as you stretch out the shots, just see them come into effect on a target, hang a quarter inch piece of ply wood mimicking a shoulder blade, see what happens when you are back 50 yards and it hits the plywood, how far does it penetrate into the target? Bad shot, lack of energy for an ethical kill, see how the wind plays into it too...do all this on a target and I guarantee you will see that you will keep the shots under thirty or less to ensure a ethical quick kill shot, some will disagree but I promise you once you see it during practice sessions you will have an eye opener, we laugh at the "you hit the target in the arse" but that's the difference target not real game animal.
Have fun, I reach out mat the targets for fun, heck even took the antlers right off my target once at 50 yards, had a hell of a laugh

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-18-2016, 08:41 AM

As stated above, practice is the most important factor in determining your maximum effective range. Years that I don't get a lot of practice time, I will limit my shot distance on game drastically. I'm very confident that my bow setup would get the job done at longer ranges of 70-80 yards. But, I'm not confident in my abilities to shoot that far.

I have taken two long range deer in my bowhunting career, a wt doe at 57 yards from a tree stand. She piled up less than 100 yards away. And a small velvet buck at 53 yards while stalking. He was down within 75 yards. On the particular years that I shot these deer, I was practicing at least 2 times a week, and very confident to take the shot. Note that all the rest of my deer have been shot at less than 30 yards, and I have turned down perfect broadside shots at 40 yards before, on years I didn't get the practice that I felt I needed.

If you practice diligently, you will gain the confidence to shoot farther, and make those longer shots ethical. Practice on 3-d animals as often as you can, because they teach you how to pick a spot on the animal to aim at! I like to practice in real world situations, as often as I can. It helps my confidence, and my ability to judge distance. If you have a rangefinder, use it. But try to guess distances first. In the heat of the moment, you don't always have a chance to range an animal. And being accurate with your distance judging is important!

Get out and practice as often as possible. And hopefully you'll be punching some tags this fall!!
Old 06-18-2016, 09:01 AM

Nine times out of ten I can usually get a 6 inch group at 100 yards with my bow...

My effective range? 40 yards is preferred. After seeing what animals can accomplish on a shot 40-60 yards out, 40 yards is my preferred max range. Although I'll take 15-20 any day.

Come to the ABA Bowhunter Challenge shoots, next weekend in Parkland and in August at Drayton Valley. Max distance is 40 yards, see how you score...should give you an idea of how much practice you need.

LC
Old 06-18-2016, 10:56 AM

Not to mention foam animals don't move, don't hear you, don't see you, give you all the time in the world to shoot....much less adrenaline on the shooter too.

LC
Old 06-18-2016, 10:58 AM

40 yards is probably a good average max.

Conditions play a huge part. I've killed a whitetail at 43 without issue, and passed a mule buck at 35 last year because of the wind and an uncomfortable shooting position.

A deer can duck an arrow at 15 yards. Any animal can move enough to cause a bad hit at 50-60 yards. Would I shoot at a calm moose at 60? Probably. Would I shoot at a jumpy whitetail at 45...probably not.

If you're asking what your equipment can accomplish without being limited by the shooter...If properly tuned, I would guess reliable passthroughs up to 50 yards. After that you are going to experience more arrows stopping inside.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Not to mention foam animals don't move, don't hear you, don't see you, give you all the time in the world to shoot....much less adrenaline on the shooter too.

LC
You are correct lefty, foam deer don't move. They do make better practice than paper bulls eyes though. Leading to what was said above. Learn the body language of the animals you intend to hunt, and shoot at calm animals. If an animal is on edge, they're more likely to jump the string. Likewise if you are full of adrenaline, you're more likely to miss, or make a marginal shot!
Old 06-18-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-of-all-mastr-of-none View Post
Hi all, I've been bowhunting for 1 year now, was unsuccessful with a deer my first year but managed to harvest a great bear (by my standards anyways) id love to be able to leave the rifle at home and hunt strictly bow, I was wondering at what distance would my bow still be able to make an ethical kill, I'm aware that it should be a distance where I am comfortable shooting, at the moment I shoot a Hoyt nitrum turbo with 65lbs draw weight, I use 340 grain Easton fmjs with a 100gr cut on contact broad head.
While I totally agree with all the other comments so far, being practice, practice, practice; what you've asked for above is the answer I'll give.

My very first bow kill was "egged" on by my brother who was standing right by my side when it happened. He was whispering in my ear that in 9 years, I had never brought down an animal. Looking back, I never should've taken the shot as there were too many variables in play and WAY too big of a chance for something to go horribly wrong. And that one moment defined going forward, my personal set maximum distance that I would release an arrow.

But to answer your question Jack? The ethical kill shot that day (ethical because the deer was down in 40 yards) was ranged prior to the shot at 78 yards. The deer had taken a couple of steps after ranging.

BEFORE anyone jumps down my throat for being unethical, carefully re-read what I've stated above about "defining my maximum distance going forward".

But then again, I've got somewhat of a thick skin since that point in time.

J.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:55 PM

To answer the op's question directly, your bow set up will harvest an animal ethically at well past 100 yards. Without a shadow of doubt.

Only you can decide where to draw the line on how far YOU can ethically harvest an animal. That distance WILL CHANGE with each individual circumstance.

I have passed on elk and moose at 2 or 3 yards and taken antelope at 65 yards. Like I said, only you can make that call in that moment of the hunt.

Practice hard, and know your limitations and your quarry's anatomy and you will make the right decision in the field.

Norm
Old 06-18-2016, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
To answer the op's question directly, your bow set up will harvest an animal ethically at well past 100 yards. Without a shadow of doubt.

Only you can decide where to draw the line on how far YOU can ethically harvest an animal. That distance WILL CHANGE with each individual circumstance.

I have passed on elk and moose at 2 or 3 yards and taken antelope at 65 yards. Like I said, only you can make that call in that moment of the hunt.

Practice hard, and know your limitations and your quarry's anatomy and you will make the right decision in the field.

Norm

Definitely this ^^^
Old 06-18-2016, 08:28 PM

My max shots are 40 yds. So I practice at 80yds a pile, then 40 yds a pile.

I blind bale shoot a bunch, then repeat. Blind bale really helps the feel of push front hand pull back and follow through. I explain to new people that an arrow is like a plane, make the take-off beautiful for a smooth flight and touchdown. A lot of guys treat a bow like a rifle and are so fixed on a single dot it makes the plane skid sideways off the runway. Not trying to get deep. It helps the guys I help. Younger and 20yrs older than I.

When drawing on an animal get close enough to put all the pins on its ribs ; )

I think you will know what an unethical shot is as soon as you have to think about it.

RDH
Old 06-19-2016, 01:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seige View Post

Jonny
If you've been at this 30 years you should have a better idea of what archery gear is capable of.

As a few have said, modern equipment is plenty lethal well past 100 yards. Down in the south I deal with ridiculous wind on a daily basis. I've passed shots at 30 yards because of it. Ethics are gonna get involved here, and I won't get into it, but for me I'm really only willing to go out to 50 if all the conditions are right....calm unaware animal, still wind etc. Even out of the fastest bows out there (my hunting rig is at 308) just take to long to deliver an arrow any real distance. A step or shift in position of an animal can be a miss or worse a poor hit. Like Lefty, I practice to 100 regularly...but only to boost confidence and provide a safety net.

As for capability, I put an arrow into a big mule buck just a couple seasons ago. I wasn't positive of the shot placement so when he looked back at 81 yards, I sent another. The expandable Schwacker zipped his lungs open and went through the FAR humerus exiting completely. PLENTY of momentum to get the job done. As it turned out the first shot was through the heart. Guess I was seeing things when I thought poor shot.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:26 PM

Case in point,

Last year I shot an elk at 40 yards...he was onto me.

This is a picture just before I let the arrow fly. POA was just behind the front shoulder.

When I got to him 100-150 yards later, this is the exit.

Rolled him over and this was the entrance,

Look at the first picture....notice anything? In the time it took for the arrow to reach him at 305fps (keep in mind he was onto me), he stepped and turned. The spot I hit was not where I was aiming because that spot was behind a tree. Keep in mind this was an elk....not a whitetail. If it was a whitetail, likely would have missed HAD I SHOT...shooting at an alert white-tail at 40 yards is not something I would recommend.

The mule deer I shot this year, 30-35 yards for the first shot....60 yards for the second insurance shot, both hit where I was aiming.

Knowing the distance To a "T" is VERY important for longer shots. Both the elk and the mule deer I was unable to range so I had to judge the yardage to make the shots count.

LC
Old 06-19-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Norm

I would have to agree with this. The bow has plenty of power . The weakist link is the shooter . No one can tell you , your effective range . That's your call . Shot or no shot , that's the hardest question we face and we have to live with the consequence . So make the right choice !
Old 06-21-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Norm
Have to agree with this...well said!

Back in the day...a bow hunter was ridiculed , heckled and called unethical...
all because he stated you could shoot an animal out to 60 yards

This bow hunter, was a finger shooter shooting second generation compounds...and could nail a bottle cap out to 60 all day long...

all though it haunted him...Chuck Adams was the first bowhunter in North America to take the Super Slam with a bow...All 27 species of north American big game animals...held the title as holding the most world records with a bow...list goes on...he knew his ability and shooting skill and all animals were taken ethically, and yup some at 60 yards or better!

Neil
Old 06-21-2016, 03:05 PM

[QUOTE=ishootbambi;3258191]If you've been at this 30 years you should have a better idea of what archery gear is capable of.

Being so smart, you should know that the question of the op is.. "What is the ethical distance for a shot"

Not

"How far can I fling an arrow"?

Go climb back under a rock
thanks for your wannabe input to " make another look bad"
mr "ishootanythingthatmoves"
Old 06-21-2016, 03:16 PM

[QUOTE=Seige;3260266]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
If you've been at this 30 years you should have a better idea of what archery gear is capable of.

Being so smart, you should know that the question of the op is.. "What is the ethical distance for a shot"

Not

Im thinking you both should go back and read each others post...your basically talking bout the same thing...and maybe misread...?

Neil
Old 06-22-2016, 07:01 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Seige;3260266]
Quote:

Not

Ummm....I see your reading comprehension is about as good as your understanding of the capability of archery gear. LOST understood and pointed it out, how did you miss it?
Old 06-22-2016, 07:09 AM

with my bowhunting style (ambush/calling), I've never taken a shot over 38 metres at an animal. Most are 30 and under. Don't really practice more than 50 m
Old 06-22-2016, 09:14 AM

Very great points brought up already ....what your comfortable shooting and comfortable hunting are two different things. I have shot deer poorly at 15 yards and followed up with a pinwheel at 70 as once an animal is wounded I do not see the harm in attempting to kill it faster. My max range changes with my quarry deer are spooky and usually flinch or drop at the shot, elk and moose are a little slower and not as spooky. My max range on a deer is 50 and 60 on elk and moose however anything around 20-40 is welcomed! Out past that you better know your distance and your bow because the difference between 70 and 75 yards is about a foot in elevation this only gets exaggerated the further you shoot. not to mention the hang time of the shot a lot can happen even if the animal isn't spooked. With a standard hunting setup (280 fps) a 60 yard shot is going to take just over half a second to get to the target which might not seem like long but a single step can mean the difference between a kill shot and tracking for days.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
My max shots are 40 yds. So I practice at 80yds a pile, then 40 yds a pile.

I blind bale shoot a bunch, then repeat. Blind bale really helps the feel of push front hand pull back and follow through. I explain to new people that an arrow is like a plane, make the take-off beautiful for a smooth flight and touchdown. A lot of guys treat a bow like a rifle and are so fixed on a single dot it makes the plane skid sideways off the runway. Not trying to get deep. It helps the guys I help. Younger and 20yrs older than I.

When drawing on an animal get close enough to put all the pins on its ribs ; )

I think you will know what an unethical shot is as soon as you have to think about it.

RDH
The logic off practicing at further distances than one will shoot is lost on me....

Do the pro football teams practice on a 200 yard field? or hockey on a double sized rink?

or 1000 yard match rifle shooters at 2000 yards?
Old 06-22-2016, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
The logic off practicing at further distances than one will shoot is lost on me....

Do the pro football teams practice on a 200 yard field? or hockey on a double sized rink?

Well, yes actually...sort of. The idea of it is simply confidence. If you know you have the skills to make a shot at 100, then half or less is a chip shot. Most athletes do practice for situations even beyond what they will see in sport. Hockey and football might not be the best example with your field or rink size....but I can assure you baseball players DO throw longer in practice than they will in games. Pitchers don't as their job is precision, but positional players do engage in drills...oddly enough 😂...called long toss. The premise is to play catch with a partner at a distance at least 30% farther apart than either of you can throw a ball in the air. It's designed to maximize arm strength (which is largely given by nature, not developed) and to drill it into the player just how far he can throw which teaches you to know the difference of when to one hop a throw, direct line it, or use the cutoff man. As with anything, repetition creates muscle memory which leads to instinct when the moment happens at game speed. Look to the "professional sports" thread from a couple days ago to see why I'm pretty familiar with it. Oh, and while a football team doesn't need a 200 yard field for practice...QBs run similar drills. About the closest in hockey is not distance but dragging sleds in skating drills. Hauling the weight won't happen in a game but does improve skating strength.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Holding at longer distances helps with control. Its a lot harder to hold on the 10 spot of a target at 50 or 60 then it is at 20. Pro team may not practice on bigger fields or ice but I will guarantee after a loss they practice a hell of lot harder than normal.

I'm sure if we had a 2000 yard meter range in Alberta the 1000 meter guys would be all over that to. 37 years of archery has taught me a ton. I practice at 50, 60 and 70 all the time and it's has paid off in tournament, hunting and just messing around.

When a 20 yard shot presents its self it's all about confidence. On average, all in my average kill range is under 25 yards. My longest big game kill shot with bow was 35 give or take.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Well, yes actually...sort of. The idea of it is simply confidence. If you know you have the skills to make a shot at 100, then half or less is a chip shot. Most athletes do practice for situations even beyond what they will see in sport. Hockey and football might not be the best example with your field or rink size....but I can assure you baseball players DO throw longer in practice than they will in games. Pitchers don't as their job is precision, but positional players do engage in drills...oddly enough ��...called long toss. The premise is to play catch with a partner at a distance at least 30% farther apart than either of you can throw a ball in the air. It's designed to maximize arm strength (which is largely given by nature, not developed) and to drill it into the player just how far he can throw which teaches you to know the difference of when to one hop a throw, direct line it, or use the cutoff man. As with anything, repetition creates muscle memory which leads to instinct when the moment happens at game speed. Look to the "professional sports" thread from a couple days ago to see why I'm pretty familiar with it. Oh, and while a football team doesn't need a 200 yard field for practice...QBs run similar drills. About the closest in hockey is not distance but dragging sleds in skating drills. Hauling the weight won't happen in a game but does improve skating strength.
Exactly! read the bold.... archery is a precision game!
Old 06-22-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash8 View Post
Holding at longer distances helps with control. Its a lot harder to hold on the 10 spot of a target at 50 or 60 then it is at 20. Pro team may not practice on bigger fields or ice but I will guarantee after a loss they practice a hell of lot harder than normal.

I'm sure if we had a 2000 yard meter range in Alberta the 1000 meter guys would be all over that to. 37 years of archery has taught me a ton. I practice at 50, 60 and 70 all the time and it's has paid off in tournament, hunting and just messing around.

When a 20 yard shot presents its self it's all about confidence. On average, all in my average kill range is under 25 yards. My longest big game kill shot with bow was 35 give or take.
what is harder holding on a pencil end at 10 or a Tim Horton's lid at 50....

I like the golf analogies in other posts.... Do you use a driver to practice your chip shots.... people say a 20 yard shot after practicing at 50 is a chip shot...

Conversely how many people miss an "easy" shot because they have not practiced it!....

practice what you play.... Archery is a precision game.... additionally should we crank our bows up to 90 lbs for practice and then back down to 60 for hunting because it will be easier?

I have stated this many times.... practice what you play....

if you think 20 yards is too easy, shrink the target.....

If your maximum is at 50 and you practice 70 all the time, how much will your subconscious recognize a 40 yard distance when the deer steps out at that range.... It looks closer than what we practice.... but how much closer... I shoot 20,30,40,50 all the time because that is the shot I expect when hunting if it is beyond 50 I recognize it pretty easily...

There is so much wrong with the thinking..... what builds more confidence...mentally in our subconscious.... hitting a loonnie at 20 or an ice cream pail lid at 70.... Our subconscious does not process distance but we can mentally picture a dime sized group....

All practice at long distance does is open up our group..... to make our errors more visible...

Now archery practice is about repetition, you have one hour to practice.... you can practice at 20 yards or 80 yards..... (4x the distance) are you practicing shooting or walking at each distance.... at 80 you spend more time walking than shooting!....

30 arrow round, at 20 would involve 5 trips to target and back with 6 arrows.... this equals 30 arrows for 200 yards walked...

At 80 it would be with same 6 arrows, 800 yards for 30 arrows... meaning you spent 4x less shooting!.... How does that help....

With most archers form is the issue more than anything else and repetition creates consistency.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Exactly! read the bold.... archery is a precision game!
A pitcher throws from 60'6" EVERY single time. Does an archery hunter shoot game from the same controlled environment? This is your analogy here...I'm just following your lead. The reason guys do it has been explained. If it doesn't make sense to you that's fine. Are you suggesting that guys are saying to ONLY shoot long? Are you suggesting guys DONT practice at ALL distances? Are you suggesting guys aren't carrying rangefinders? As usual seems like everybody on AO is looking to fight. I'm out.

Last edited by ishootbambi; 06-22-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:51 PM

I understand strength building exercises you push your boundaries....

thus why you turn bow up slowly as you build strength... but you don't go past your boundaries in archery!....

I understand weights and long tosses etc. when you are building strength.... but building precision and confidence..... what do we say in archery... AIM SMALL MISS SMALL.... Not AIM LONG MISS BIGGER....

I like to say AIM SMALL HIT SMALL.............

Lets call it what it is, we like to shoot long because it is cool./.. lets not try to justify it by fallacies....

Tags
bow hunting