Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-12-2016, 02:10 PM

Default 3D course at Sherwood Park Fish and Game

Sorry to all the avid SPFGA archery members but had to pull all the targets today as some ignorant person decided to shoot the target butts and the 3D course animals with a triple blade broadhead. Have a pretty good idea who and there are two of these people. One using four blades on the target butts and one using three blades. I know a lot of people who would give anything to have a 3D course for their use at any time and then you get fools such as these two who don't appreciate all the effort that goes into making these things possible for their club. Just don't understand the mentality or lack thereof.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:27 PM
Banned

i hope you find out who it was
Old 09-12-2016, 03:28 PM

time to set up some cameras to catch them in the act then boot them to the moon
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 09-12-2016, 04:05 PM

If you're pretty sure who it is I'd say it's past time to give them the boot. I guess you predicted it earlier when you pulled the biggest most expensive targets, at least they didn't have opportunity to butcher those.

Its too bad, my girlfriend just worked up enough confidence to come with me to shoot the course since the first batch were pulled down a few weeks ago. Hopefully she doesn't take 3 months of shooting butts before she is ready to hit the course in the spring.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:31 PM

Unreal....that is very unfortunate.

LC
Old 09-12-2016, 08:50 PM

I have a few older moutrie cameras that I can donate to your club if your interested. Send me a PM if you want to arrange to get them to you.

The ignorance of people these days never ceases to amaze me as these will be the same idiots who complain they have nowhere to shoot
Old 09-12-2016, 09:04 PM

Damn and blast. I was hoping to get out there this coming week. I shot the first/last 6 targets a few weeks back, and had a hoot of a time.

Any plans on putting them back in place at any point, or.... plans?
Old 09-12-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck-the-chimp View Post
Damn and blast. I was hoping to get out there this coming week. I shot the first/last 6 targets a few weeks back, and had a hoot of a time.

Any plans on putting them back in place at any point, or.... plans?
Likely stored for the winter and will come back out in the spring time frame is my guess.

LC
Old 09-12-2016, 09:07 PM

I disagree with simply booting them from the club. Contact the RCMP as this is vandalism. Make them replace the targets and boot them.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:29 PM

A mass email to all members explaining the gravity of this might be a good thing to do?

LC
Old 09-12-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
I have a few older moutrie cameras that I can donate to your club if your interested. Send me a PM if you want to arrange to get them to you.

The ignorance of people these days never ceases to amaze me as these will be the same idiots who complain they have nowhere to shoot
This is so true.

I was finally gonna get back to the range this week as well. Brother hasn't even been there and just bought a membership under two weeks ago.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:55 AM

The saying "This is why we can't have nice things" comes to mind... I hope the two are caught soon and punished accordingly.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:03 AM

What a shame I hope they are held responsible for the damage and removed from our club.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
Sorry to all the avid SPFGA archery members but had to pull all the targets today as some ignorant person decided to shoot the target butts and the 3D course animals with a triple blade broadhead. Have a pretty good idea who and there are two of these people. One using four blades on the target butts and one using three blades. I know a lot of people who would give anything to have a 3D course for their use at any time and then you get fools such as these two who don't appreciate all the effort that goes into making these things possible for their club. Just don't understand the mentality or lack thereof.
Unreal! I hate when the actions of a few punish the rest of us. I like going there with my kiddos.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:30 AM

The feeling of entitlement.
I payed my membership fee,so now I'm entitled to shoot what I want,whenever I want,at whatever I want ,because my $170.00 covers the cost!Bull
The work,time ,and money that goes into setting up and maintaining such a course is greatly appreciated and is everyone's responsibility to use the course according to the rules.
To the person or persons who have no respect for our great facility,think a little and show some respect. Is it worth while that you yourself now do not have the luxury of the 3D course anymore because of your selfish actions?
Eventually you will be seen and caught disrespecting our fine club and be removed.
Shame on you
Old 09-13-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerhappy69 View Post
The feeling of entitlement.
I payed my membership fee,so now I'm entitled to shoot what I want,whenever I want,at whatever I want ,because my $170.00 covers the cost!Bull
The work,time ,and money that goes into setting up and maintaining such a course is greatly appreciated and is everyone's responsibility to use the course according to the rules.
To the person or persons who have no respect for our great facility,think a little and show some respect. Is it worth while that you yourself now do not have the luxury of the 3D course anymore because of your selfish actions?
Eventually you will be seen and caught disrespecting our fine club and be removed.
Shame on you
^^ Well said. I didn't even get a chance to use them yet this year either.

I agree with the boot them and call the RCMP suggestion.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-13-2016, 12:59 PM

Fellow members of the SPFGA, an mass email has been composed regarding the broadhead use. Once the wording has been approved by the SPFGA executive at their meeting tonight, it will be sent out to the entire membership. We ask all of you that are using the target range to keep watch for anyone using the target butts with practice or real broadheads. Please take down any information; ie.,license plate numbers, description of person, date, whatever you can. Remember that it is permitted to bring your own broadhead target out and use it. PLEASE DO!!! These persons will be caught with all of our cooperation. Thanks
Old 09-13-2016, 02:13 PM

Was out there last Thursday shooting my own broadhead target. I was actually hoping to catch somebody in the act. But I was there alone. It's really unfortunate that we have to go to these measures to protect our new targets. Thank you arrow dog for all the effort you have put in to our archery course. I never did end up shooting the 3-d course, and honestly after shooting my own target, I'm probably not going to shoot the target butts much anymore. The ease of pulling my field tipped arrows and the fact that my arrows weren't covered in the stuff from the ten test, has me ready to bring my own target out all the time. Plus I can set it up at yards instead of meters. Is there any way that we could raise some money to replace the ten test with pressed foam? I'd be willing to donate some extra money on top of membership fees. To help make that happen.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Was out there last Thursday shooting my own broadhead target. I was actually hoping to catch somebody in the act. But I was there alone. It's really unfortunate that we have to go to these measures to protect our new targets. Thank you arrow dog for all the effort you have put in to our archery course. I never did end up shooting the 3-d course, and honestly after shooting my own target, I'm probably not going to shoot the target butts much anymore. The ease of pulling my field tipped arrows and the fact that my arrows weren't covered in the stuff from the ten test, has me ready to bring my own target out all the time. Plus I can set it up at yards instead of meters. Is there any way that we could raise some money to replace the ten test with pressed foam? I'd be willing to donate some extra money on top of membership fees. To help make that happen.
That's how I felt after I had a pass through at 50 that lost me an arrow, broad head dork mangled that target. Have a different set of 5 arrows that only get used on those targets, but lately I've been taking my own target to use practise broad heads and check my hunting arrows.

Can't imagine new targets are anywhere on the radar when people won't treat these ones respectfully.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Thanks for keeping an eye out. Tentest is a pain in the butt! However, we blew the budget for the new Reinhart targets this year. Meanwhile, we use Ivory soap on our arrows when shooting the target butts and seems a lot easier to get arrows out. Target butts were set up before we took over the archery director position and we too wish they had set them up in yards. We have been talking about possible ways to change this so it is one of the goals. Have to look into the foam butt idea. Have heard they retain a lot of moisture and can get mouldy. Anyway, hope you do get the chance next spring to shoot the 3D course. It's going to be more challenging next year!
Old 09-13-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoch View Post
That's how I felt after I had a pass through at 50 that lost me an arrow, broad head dork mangled that target. Have a different set of 5 arrows that only get used on those targets, but lately I've been taking my own target to use practise broad heads and check my hunting arrows.

Can't imagine new targets are anywhere on the radar when people won't treat these ones respectfully.
Thanks for the heads up on the 50 target. Will try to get the tentest moved around to provide new material on that butt. New budget for next year so will see what happens. Would like to get few more 3D animals and ??? Can't say enough how much we appreciate you guys taking your own broadhead targets out there to sight in with. THANK YOU!!!
Old 09-13-2016, 03:42 PM

I think having one side in yards and one side in meters would be great!

LC
Old 09-13-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
... using the target butts with practice or real broadheads...
Remember that it is permitted to bring your own broadhead target out and use it. PLEASE DO!!!
I think the email needs to be really clear and obvious that practice broadheads are not allowed on the spfga targets.

I'd almost be willing to leave a broadhead target in the sand for others to use... I'm just not confident it would still be there when I go to use it myself

Question regarding the no shooting after 8 pm sign at the gate. Does that include archery? I like to shoot in low light and during the summer it's still pretty bright out much later than 8. I figured it only referred to a noise aspect with firearms but didn't want to assume that. Never know if insurance would be affected or something
Old 09-13-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think having one side in yards and one side in meters would be great!

LC
That is an excellent idea. With a bit of work, could be done. Will put in "honey do" jar.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I think the email needs to be really clear and obvious that practice broadheads are not allowed on the spfga targets.

I'd almost be willing to leave a broadhead target in the sand for others to use... I'm just not confident it would still be there when I go to use it myself

Question regarding the no shooting after 8 pm sign at the gate. Does that include archery? I like to shoot in low light and during the summer it's still pretty bright out much later than 8. I figured it only referred to a noise aspect with firearms but didn't want to assume that. Never know if insurance would be affected or something
I think you will be very impressed with the mass email that has been composed. We put out an old 3D antelope/deer/elk thing? in the broadhead pit but apparently that isn't enough. There is also a tarpaper target holder that you can pull down and anchor to sight broadheads into the pit. As we know, many archers have been bringing their own broadhead targets out and using them instead.

But WHY?, after shooting the target butts would anybody take their broadheads out and shoot the 3D animals when they have to actually walk to get to them. This was deliberate and I don't think that putting broadhead targets out on the target range is going to deter these individuals. They don't belong in a club that has so many members that take pride in the facilities.

There is an executive meeting tonight and I will clarify then as to whether or not we are allowed to shoot after 8PM. I don't believe this will be an issue at all because the rule was put in place due to the excessive noise from the guns.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:22 PM

Pretty sure bows may be shot as long as you can see

LC
Old 09-13-2016, 05:45 PM

Changing one side to yards would not be a big deal ... 2 hrs with skid steer/auger ... volunteers to set and tamp posts. Will likely have the eqpt on site in the next week.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:36 PM

In the past the close times have applied to firearms only. Never applied to Archery.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:47 PM

Thanks arrow dog and 260 rem.
The quick updates are appreciated.
The work you put in makes it a great facility. Well worth the membership in spite of the few bad apples
Old 09-13-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Changing one side to yards would not be a big deal ... 2 hrs with skid steer/auger ... volunteers to set and tamp posts. Will likely have the eqpt on site in the next week.
We know it's hunting season but if equipment is available during the week, is anybody available to help us out. We are proposing to change one side of the range to yards or would everyone like to see both of them in yards?