Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-08-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Just curious, is that the paper calculated, chrono or sight marks calculated speed? 'Cause there's lots of factors in your set up description that point to about 300 fps being the best your set up will do.
304fps is what i got on 3/5 shots through the chrono.
junkie
Old 03-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

according to bowjacksons archery calculators my new bow should still be faster and carry more energy at 100 yrds than my current bow does at the muzzle......so over 300 fps and 70 ft/lbs at 100 yrds.....current bow is 290-ish fps and should be around 55 lbs energy at 100 yrds but i'm sure lots of factors could vary that, specifically fletching....more drag really slows them down long range apparently....so feathers/helical will zap speed faster than say offset vanes

i agree lots of practice is a good thing....but i've also proven that you can do almost no practice and still rock to 70 yrds....having set my current bow up to my natural cold anchor when i haven't shot it for a couple weeks etc. to simulate closest to actual hunting situation has worked amazing for me....i shot maybe 10 arrows two seasons ago....9 to confirm or re-adjust a few pins just prior to season to be bang on to 70 and then 1 to kill my big velvet buck at 42 yrds....this season was even less, i picked up the bow in the summer and took about 8 shots total at 42 and 56 yrds and my last two at 56 were an inch apart in the middle of the kill on my buck target and ended up killing my big muley at 20 yrds this year....but i have two muleys at the 55-57 yrd range as my longer kills, everything else has been 35 yrds or less

but i can put that bow away and pick it up 3/4's of a year later and kill anything to 50 forsure and just in case things weaken etc. i might have to make small adjustments for the 60 yrd and up pins but minor and takes only a few arrows to sort out but you wouldn't want to be a coyote to 70 in the right conditions even if i the bow sat for a few months

so yeah lots of practice sure helps and i did tons of that my first few seasons but it can also kill you if you over do it and lose your confidence during the season and have to build it back up again...which i did pretty much each of those first few seasons

the long range practice is for form, is for trying to take advantage of what the tool has to offer in terms of performance....like a rifle....they have way more capability than we generally shoot to, and seem to think thats all they are good for....ie; a rifle is only good to 250 yrds.....not the case any more, they are actually lethal to 600-1000 yrds and beyond depending on cartridge but until you gear up for it and shoot it to learn how much you can extract from that potential personally then your just wasting potential capability imo.....so for that hunt or shot of a lifetime i just like to push myself closer to the tools limits as possible.....it makes moderate ranges easy as can be and your confidence is sky high....so same as my rifle i'm going to try and see where my limits can get me with the bow.....you don't want to be a coyote in the right conditions to 800 yrds with my rifle now.....so now its time to see what i can push myself to with the bows....i might be there already? but i'll keep pushing to see how far i am confident in my accuracy

and of course i'll aim for and take the closer in shots but you just never know if the right situation occurs and its in your comfort zone (whatever range that may be will be wildly varied between people due to how much capability they have managed to extract from their gear) so yes, would i use my capability in the field...yup, if the confidence is there and the conditions are there then you bet....guys are doing it more and more now...Archie Nesbitt has been killing to 125 yrds, there's a 112 yrd muley on bowsite, theres a couple 100 plus yrd antelope i found recently....so like the rifles guys are figuring out the bows actual capabilities also

i've never shot a 3d or competative shoot of any sort bow/gun in my life...straight up hunter and all my practice i do to prepare me only for that sort of pressure, works good too, not much gets away from me these days bow or gun....do what works for you, if shooting competativley works for you and keeps you sharp then do it, its all good, but it isn't necessary for everyone to be a good shot...you just have to find out what works for you

and omg, i started reading about these FOBs......they sure sound like the hot ticket for steering broadheads and nothing touches them for wind drift....like up to 70% less distance moved to wind drift.......i will get roasted from a few buddies just for talking about them but research seems to say they are amazing....too bad i'm bisquit fan and they are only drop away compatable....so the bisquit with blazers combo i think still out ranks the fobs as a better hunting arrangement but if i shot a drop away i'd try them out....i bet they don't lose as much speed as the blazers either...i hate dropaways or i'd have some to test against my blazers forsure

that should fuel a few more discussion points
Old 03-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Banned

I was just shooting out to 110yds this past weekend. I have a pse x force ss that is shooting around 315fps. At 60 yds I was shooting 3" groups at 80 yds I was shooting 4" groups at 100yds I was shooting 4"-8" groups. There was a slight cross wind and it could throw the arrow 6". Also it took a long time for the arrow to reach the target. The accuracy part would not keep me from shooting at an animal but the length of time it takes to get there would. I have had total pass thru's on moose at 60yds and I think under the right circumstnces I would take a 70-80yd shot but the last 20yds really seems hard on the speed and trajectory. I have an hha single pin sight that I have dialed in from 20-100yds and it is a blast to play with once you have it sighted in to 100yds. After shooting at 100yds it feels like your sitting on the target at twenty plus it really improves your form. It'll definatly make you a better shooter. I always loose and break arrows shooting at chickens during hunting season but with the new hha sight I will be loosing them at 80-100yds this year instead of 40-60yds.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:50 PM

Are those Long Shots Humane Hunting Shots?I am an Avid Archer and Can target Shoot up to 70 yrds,I Would not take a Humane Hunting Shot at that Distance,Why do you guys need to Take those Long Shots?No Patience for the Animal to Come up on you or are you Stalking?Just Wondering.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlyman1980 View Post
Are those Long Shots Humane Hunting Shots?I am an Avid Archer and Can target Shoot up to 70 yrds,I Would not take a Humane Hunting Shot at that Distance,Why do you guys need to Take those Long Shots?No Patience for the Animal to Come up on you or are you Stalking?Just Wondering.
I think the ethicallity of a shot depends completely on the shooter and the bow he/she is using. All of these 300fps+ bows are powerful enough to cleanly kill at 80-100 yards. I wouldn't go out hunting planning on making a long shot, infact I would try to avoid it but if there came a time and the conditions were near perfect, I wouldn't hesitate in putting an arrow in the animal.
junkie
Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Banned

Drenalinjunkie nailed it. What about a recurve bow or an old compound @ 40yds that shoots at 160-180fps is that ethical? If you can't make the shot then don't shoot. I practice at long range with a fast bow so if the oppertunity arrises I can make an ethical shot with confidence. Shooting at long range is good practice and I will practice at the farthest distance my sights will go to because I like the challenge of it. If shooting past 40yds is inhumane today what distance was humane 20years ago? Why do they keep making bows faster? So you can make the animal more dead at 20yds? If someone hunts with a 30-30 they won't make the same shot that someone with a 30-378 can easily make with a good rest and lots of long range PRACTICE.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Drenalinjunkie nailed it. What about a recurve bow or an old compound @ 40yds that shoots at 160-180fps is that ethical? If you can't make the shot then don't shoot. I practice at long range with a fast bow so if the oppertunity arrises I can make an ethical shot with confidence. Shooting at long range is good practice and I will practice at the farthest distance my sights will go to because I like the challenge of it. If shooting past 40yds is inhumane today what distance was humane 20years ago? Why do they keep making bows faster? So you can make the animal more dead at 20yds? If someone hunts with a 30-30 they won't make the same shot that someone with a 30-378 can easily make with a good rest and lots of long range PRACTICE.
Do deer jump or duck strings???? Has it ever happened to anyone?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Yup, had deer duck and even one mulie doe jump my arrow at mid range shots i believe 30yards i remember specifically cause i was so stoked to have a deer in range at the time using an older compound bow that was relatively loud. She heard the shot and jumped and i watched my arrow sail underneath her as he jumped high enough to clear the shot.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Banned

In my opinion there are mainy variables in long range shooting. So, to avoid bad hits i try to keep shots under 60 yrds. This is on a calm day, level ground, wind in my face...plus i am confident at this range as i shoot almost daily. If your not careful there will be lots of wounded animals running around.

The other thing about speed bows is that they are not JUST made to shoot longer as many have suggested. They also eliminate the need for 4+ pins and make shooting easier as the right pin choice is not as important. Plus the faster speed gives better penetration. Speed does not mean long range accuracy. We need practice and lots of it plus all the right variables to be making clean shots at long range.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Banned

the farther away the quieter things go, but there are tons of stories of jumped/ducked arrows at what many consider normal ranges.....it can happen at any range but some argue more likely in close on whitetails....the closer the jumpier as i've seen argued....but if thats a huge worry i think putting the bow down and picking up the camera is in order if one can't read the situation as to when and when not is a good shot opportunity then don't be out there with a bow, as you roll the dice on lots of variables everytime you drop string, including the deer moving, whether it be jumping or taking a step etc.....the longer range stuff is obviously going to be more critical in opportunity choice etc. so why argue this ethics thing?....done to death already...figure out what works for you and go with it, and everyone else do the same and we all end up with totally different capabilities/ranges etc. out there
Old 03-10-2010, 11:13 AM

Default Long range for a select few

Perhaps it's not the ethical side people are trying to beat to death. I believe there are people that can make shots over 40 yrds. Just like there are people who can shoot over 1000yrds with their rifles. The problem lies when avg joe hears or see's his motorcycle can do 300 km/h and see's no diffrence between him and a professional is the problem. Then we have to clean up avg joe with a shovel. I'm sure the last thing anyone wants to see is a buck or bull running around with a arrow sticking out of it because they read there is people who shoot out to X distance. The avg joe archer on here doesn't know specifics, or come close to practicing or shooting on a daily basis like a select few of us on here. The last thing I would want to see is unexpirenced archers making questionable shots based on things that they have read, and the pre concived notion that they are as good as someone on here.

Making a 40 yrd + shot, clean and ethically doesn't just come down to equipement, there are so many variables to take into consideration that it should be not even thought about for 95 % of us. Most people don't shoot rifles past 400 yrds, and 40 yrds for archery. In the end it's all about the animals. I for one pride myself in saying how close I have shot an animal, I think my 10 yard whitetail is more impressive than my 56 yard mule deer.

Last edited by RobinHood; 03-10-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:37 AM

No, you haven't been out of archery too long, Aulrich. In field conditions, at live game animals, 40 yards is still a long shot.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 AM

Yea the long range stuff for both rifle and bow has been done to death so no real point going beyond know YOUR limits and stay there.

I hate to say I have been hearing of farmers shutting down to archers after seeing something with an arrow stuck out of it walking around for 20 years. That is not new, see above.

I have had 2 string jumps in my limited experience. one at under 20 quartering away, side stepped and the arrow sipped by.

The other was at 35 the buck that was standing by a bush I had shot may times. Clean broadside and the buck was completely out of the way not just the over the back. And that bow was 300+ fps. And if you watch wildTV at all you see string jumps all of the time.

Bottom line is good marksmanship for the conditions you hunt is a fundamental requirement and learning to shoot far helps you to shoot better at all ranges.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Banned

I use maxima 350 shafts 28" long with blazer vanes a nock collar and either field tips, tekan or ultimate steel broadheads. I have a pse x force ss with GX cams,29"draw,set at 72#,an ultra rest pro dropaway rest and an HHA OL5500 sight sighted in to 108yds. I can consistantly get 4" groups @ 100yds with this set up. That is under ideal conditions. Im not sure what my foc is but I would guess it at the 11-13% range. Im a whitetail guide and most of my clients are avid archers so my set up is based alot on what they have suggested. I haven't gotten into the scientifics of it all as much as I could but what I have seems to be working. I also have a hoyt maxxis 31 with the same set up only with an HHA DS5500 sight that is only sighted in to 60yds right now but I will sight it in to 100+ when I have time.

Like Pete says "Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." So no matter what your comfort zone is while hunting, I figure if you practice at the maximum your bow is set up for it can only help perfect your shooting or run you broke. If you can shoot bulls @ 100yds, 40yds is a chip shot. I think form is the biggest factor in accuracy.

I believe 6" is the mathmatical number required to kill an animal give or take a couple inches for shot angle. That is about how many inches of penatration you would need to puncture a lung and cause the hemoraging needed to ethically kill an animal. Im not going to get into the speeds Im getting with my bows because I know someone out there who hasn't seen my chrono results will know them better than I do, but I can tell you that at 80yds with a well placed shot, I will get at least 6" penatration. I have never shot at an animal past 60yds with a bow but I have practiced alot at longer ranges, and I literaly spend months every year in the woods scouting and hunting, watching game and their body language. If the conditions are right and the oppurtunity arrises I will be able to make a farther shot because of my practice and experience. I have a comfort zone past 40yds with my shooting and it's because I do alot of shooting at long range. Know your equipment and practice at long range to know your bounderies. I'm not saying shoot past 60yds at an animal but I'm not saying don't shoot either. Once you know your bounderies and you know your prey, use common sense and take the shot.

Can anyone out there shooting traditional tell me the fps of their bow, and how long it will take the arrow to travel 40yds. How much penatration or ke they are getting at that distance and if they think they can make an ethical kill at that distance? I believe that they can get 6" at that distance and be able to place an arrow in the kill zone with the right experience, but I don't know anyone personally who shoots traditional.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I use maxima 350 shafts 28" long with blazer vanes a nock collar and either field tips, tekan or ultimate steel broadheads. I have a pse x force ss with GX cams,29"draw,set at 72#,an ultra rest pro dropaway rest and an HHA OL5500 sight sighted in to 108yds. I can consistantly get 4" groups @ 100yds with this set up. That is under ideal conditions. Im not sure what my foc is but I would guess it at the 11-13% range. Im a whitetail guide and most of my clients are avid archers so my set up is based alot on what they have suggested. I haven't gotten into the scientifics of it all as much as I could but what I have seems to be working. I also have a hoyt maxxis 31 with the same set up only with an HHA DS5500 sight that is only sighted in to 60yds right now but I will sight it in to 100+ when I have time.

Like Pete says "Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." So no matter what your comfort zone is while hunting, I figure if you practice at the maximum your bow is set up for it can only help perfect your shooting or run you broke. If you can shoot bulls @ 100yds, 40yds is a chip shot. I think form is the biggest factor in accuracy.

I believe 6" is the mathmatical number required to kill an animal give or take a couple inches for shot angle. That is about how many inches of penatration you would need to puncture a lung and cause the hemoraging needed to ethically kill an animal. Im not going to get into the speeds Im getting with my bows because I know someone out there who hasn't seen my chrono results will know them better than I do, but I can tell you that at 80yds with a well placed shot, I will get at least 6" penatration. I have never shot at an animal past 60yds with a bow but I have practiced alot at longer ranges, and I literaly spend months every year in the woods scouting and hunting, watching game and their body language. If the conditions are right and the oppurtunity arrises I will be able to make a farther shot because of my practice and experience. I have a comfort zone past 40yds with my shooting and it's because I do alot of shooting at long range. Know your equipment and practice at long range to know your bounderies. I'm not saying shoot past 60yds at an animal but I'm not saying don't shoot either. Once you know your bounderies and you know your prey, use common sense and take the shot.

Can anyone out there shooting traditional tell me the fps of their bow, and how long it will take the arrow to travel 40yds. How much penatration or ke they are getting at that distance and if they think they can make an ethical kill at that distance? I believe that they can get 6" at that distance and be able to place an arrow in the kill zone with the right experience, but I don't know anyone personally who shoots traditional.
My RER longbow is getting 195fps with a 360gr arrow at 40lbs My Custom Recurve I have is getting 185fps with said arrow at 40lbs. I will wager that I shoot more than most shooters, 3-4 hours a day almost every day of the year. at 20 yards on a 40cm targets I am shooting scores in the 265+ range with out sights, 30 yards I am shooting groups as good as most compound shooters, beating most compound shooters around lloyd area with it at 40 yards. I would not even think of shooting past 25 yards at any animal with either setup, can I hit the animal everytime if conditions are right hell yeah, but that is not the point, to cleanly harvest an animal there is more than just being able to hit it. 6inchs of penetration is not enough I have seen guys have 10 inches of penetration with a compound and lose the animal on good clean shot, took us a long time to track it down and end it suffering. I harvested a elk this fall at 15 yards with my RER had a complete pass through on it elk went 20 yards and tipped over. Archery is supposed to be about getting up close and personal on the animals turf. My opinion is this if we keep braggin about shooting animals at 100+ yards before long we are going to lose our archery season, why would the Govt want to have a seperate season if we can shoot as far as a rifle? If you guys are saying you are shooting 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards consistently you should all maybe go and compete for the worlds, world class shooters cannot do it consistently if they could they would be shooting perfect scores all the time. I agree practice at farther distance and it makes you a better shooter by far, but lets keep the shots closer.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned

I agree with you Trev I would not think of shooting past 25-30 yards either, without sights. I also agree that an elk is probably one of the toughest animals in north america. I once shot one with a .280 using a 140gr failsafe. Hit one lung watched him go down then came back 45min later and he had gone about 60yds and was still alive. Another time I shot an elk that had a broadhead embeded in its spine from long before I shot him. I didnt say I was shooting 3" groups at 100yds consistantly it was 4".......BIG difference and that was under IDEAL conditions. I shoot in the high 280's to mid 290's and I have outshot some competitive shooters. I used to shoot instinctive but I wanted to shoot accuratly at farther distances. I dont think I would ever shoot an animal at 100yds with my bow, what I did say is I practice at 100yds and feel confident enough to shoot an animal over 60yds. I also said I probably wouldnt shoot an animal past 80yds because of the speed and trajectory of the equipment I'm using. As far as 6 inches of penatration being enough, I said give or take a couple inches for shot angle I guess I should have also specified species. Even an elk will die with a broadhead stuck in one lung, or a liver shot. Not every shot is a twenty second kill. When in doubt back out, the animal will die just dont bump it and you will find it. I dont care who you are or what type of weapon your using, if you hunt long enough there will come a day when you dont make the perfect shot. Its what you do after the shot that will determine if you get the animal or not. In 11 years of guiding, just under 50 different clients I have never lost an animal. I have had a few 8-12hour track jobs and twice have had to wait the night, but I have always retrieved the animal.

Back to this thread topic, I practice out to 100+ and I have listed my equipment and the results I have been getting with it, I might try the carbon express mayhem 250's and see how they work with my set ups. I still dont know what % my foc is, if anyone is interested I can calculate it.

P.S. I shot 2 robinhoods with my pse @ 20yds in less than a week and even got the second one on video.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Banned

yeah, what he said

i don't shoot much for groups, maybe a bit short range while getting bow tuned up in the beginning but once you know your equipment will do it same everytime then i usually only run two practice arrows and i pay more attention to making sure the arrows go where my pin is when i break the shot.....that is for setting up the pins, after they are set i usually just take one or two shots randomly here and there at different ranges etc. to stay 'hunt ready'.....as in a hunting situation i'm good about breaking shots where they need be and so far most of it has been just the one shot and i tend to shoot two about the same but for some reason i wobble around on shot number 3 doing groups...i think its because i'm thinking more about the group than than the target and breaking a good shot so i just quit practicing with anything more than 2 shots a time and keeps confidence up and practice time more effective for me

pulling out the bow after months and putting two an inch apart in middle of kill on my buck at 56 is not a fluke, i do that with my style of prep/practice all the time....just going to find out how much farther than 70 i can do that sort of thing with the new/faster bow
Old 03-12-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Yes.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Yes.
LOL thanx Russ, I was trying to be fasicious on that one! Trying to illustrate that everything at a longer distance is magnified, so if it happens at 20 what can go wrong at 80
Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 AM

If your arrow has an average velocity of 300 ft/sec out to 100 yds (not likely) its still going to take 1 second for the arrow to reach the target. I think that is way too much time for the animal take a step or two. It will also take .26 seconds for the sound of the shot to reach a target at 100 yds which gives the animal over .75 seconds to react or "jump the string". In open country there's also the possiblity that the animal might pick up movement at the release of the arrow which again gives it better than a full second to react. With that much time you or I could probably get out of the way. Not even close to an ethical shot in my opinion.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Banned

If I can't make the shot at 30yds no one can.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Banned

as mentioned before, the string jumping phenom has been argued many times that it often happens closer in (especially with whitetails) more than further out due to that immediate presence noise that makes them flush instantly....makes anything flush instantly....like hiding around the corner and scaring the crap out of your buddy.....hard to do at 50 plus yrds

so on longer range stuff, a) your hopefully not shooting at an animal on full alert already looking at you, and b) in that case you hope your able to time it so they don't take a step etc....which isn't that hard to do if you watch the game and understand them as much as we all do

this is a moot argument imo
Old 03-13-2010, 10:11 AM

String jumping happens at all ranges and it isn't always an alert deer that does it.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Banned

Well stinky have you done some shooting at the 70-100 yard range yet? If so have you noticed the target jump your string? Just kidding about the jumping part. But I was wondering how your distance set up was comming along.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:11 AM

Inevitably, as with all long distance shooting threads - someone makes some pretty impressive claims.

FYI, the current world record for FITA 90m (that's using equipment specialized for LONG RANGE shooting BTW). 36 arrows, 6 arrows per end @ a 10 ring that's approximately the size of CD (that's 1" BIGGER than 4" BTW) is 350. Set August 6, 2009 in Shanghai by Martin Damsbo of Sweden.

But hey it's just an FYI
Old 03-13-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinmatt View Post
If your arrow has an average velocity of 300 ft/sec out to 100 yds (not likely) its still going to take 1 second for the arrow to reach the target. I think that is way too much time for the animal take a step or two. It will also take .26 seconds for the sound of the shot to reach a target at 100 yds which gives the animal over .75 seconds to react or "jump the string". In open country there's also the possiblity that the animal might pick up movement at the release of the arrow which again gives it better than a full second to react. With that much time you or I could probably get out of the way. Not even close to an ethical shot in my opinion.
I second this based fully on experience , My bow shoots 298 fps, and i shot at a elk at 75 yards, that didn't know i was there, but it stepped forward at the shot and i hit in the back leg. lucky for me I hit the formortal artery . and I recover him 2 hours later. and I tolled my self , I wont shoot that far again. animals will jump string or move at any distance. IMO.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well stinky have you done some shooting at the 70-100 yard range yet? If so have you noticed the target jump your string? Just kidding about the jumping part. But I was wondering how your distance set up was comming along.
i shot out to 90 with current bow but really didn't plan on shooting at game that far so didn't take it too serious...but i did take the time to prove myself to 70 with that rig and my confidence definitely went that high....still waiting for a couple more components for new rig so still haven't shot it except a couple times in basement setting up/proving sensitivity adjustments to release but eventually i'll be able to report on what the bow can do and what i can do with it....might just take a few months with the time i get to play and when the rest of the gear gets here

and a note on the long range stuff....you don't shoot groups at critters, especially 36 arrow groups....so very conceivable that the 100 yrd claims on here very true for 3 arrows....those results very believable to me, and i only shoot 2 arrows and when i do shoot to set my pins at whatever range....its not to see how tight my group is, its to make sure my the arrow goes exactly where the pin is when i let it go.....after thats done i will just do random single shots here and there at whatever ranges to build and keep my confidence....placing one shot on a vital area is not that tough to do....and it is hunting here we are talking about
Old 03-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
I second this based fully on experience , My bow shoots 298 fps, and i shot at a elk at 75 yards, that didn't know i was there, but it stepped forward at the shot and i hit in the back leg. lucky for me I hit the formortal artery . and I recover him 2 hours later. and I tolled my self , I wont shoot that far again. animals will jump string or move at any distance. IMO.
you torqued it
Old 03-13-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post

and a note on the long range stuff....you don't shoot groups at critters, especially 36 arrow groups....so very conceivable that the 100 yrd claims on here very true for 3 arrows.
That's not the standard for the distance and if you can't make a 4" group @ with 6 arrows, you can't make 4" groups, simple as that.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:33 PM

I am shooting a hoyt katera. 30" draw, 73#'s with a 513gr arrow. I have pins on my bow from 20-80 and practice at those distances all the time. However, my personal limit for hunting (first shot) is 50 yards. Once I have an arrow in an animal, I have no problems shooting past 50 if I am unable to close the distance for a second shot. I would rather take my chances on a wounded animal with a long shot, then not get another shot into it at all.

just my .02 cents