Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2014, 09:32 PM

Post Edmonton Area WaterBodys, Fishing

I've been out to a few places, and have yet to catch anything - not even a bite.
- Hermitage pond, Beaumont pond, north Saskatchewan river, wabamun lake.. Nothing
If anyone knows anywhere, please share some (Edmonton area). I'm kindly asking, so please don't comment with "get out and look". I've been looking, I've found hunting just not fishing. PM me please
Old 09-27-2014, 09:37 PM

cardiff park pond just south of morinville is always a good place for trout.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:40 PM

Try east pit lake,other side of the hwy from wabamun.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
cardiff park pond just south of morinville is always a good place for trout.
About how far from millwoods in edmonton do you think?
Old 09-27-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFinch View Post
About how far from millwoods in edmonton do you think?
It takes about 45 minutes
Old 09-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Banned

Narrows at lac ste Anne tons of pike In there right now.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I've been out to a few places, and have yet to catch anything - not even a bite.
- Hermitage pond, Beaumont pond, north Saskatchewan river, wabamun lake.. Nothing
If anyone knows anywhere, please share some (Edmonton area). I'm kindly asking, so please don't comment with "get out and look". I've been looking, I've found hunting just not fishing. PM me please
I think you're asking the wrong question, "anyone knows anywhere" is very vague.

Now if these questions offend you I'm sorry but it is a must since I need to know if you actually know how to catch fish because I've caught fish in all those locations you mentioned... so it may not be the location that is the problem my friend.

A) do you have a boat? If not are you stuck to shore fishing?
B) lures, flies or bait chucker?
C) What are the exact methods you have been using to fish?
For example the pound test of line, fluorocarbon or not, use of a steel leader, the lure and the size of lure. (these factors alone can determine whether you catch fish or not)
D) Have you ever caught a fish before?

E) Don't give up, winter is coming! The fish practically jump out of the hole into your lap!

Here is a map of Hermitage park.

The Red Star is best place on the lake to fish. This point holds a good number off fish. Problem is there is often someone there when I go. So second best I just go to the short Blue arrow. If that doesn't work try the long blue arrow. If you don't connect open water season make sure you hit Hermitage in the ice season and fish anywhere in the thin blue lined area. Early morning and evening in November and December you should catch some rainbow trout.

Good Luck. Answer questions above and we'll see if you can be pointed it the catching direction.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures

Last edited by Brandonkop; 09-28-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:08 AM

Not sure if I would go on the ice there in November? Might be a little thin, depending on the weather for ice formation. A min of 4" for walking on the ice and even then it could be dangerous as the ice could be 4" in one spot and 10 feet over it could only be 1" thick.

OP. you posted that, "Not even a bite" you have been to a few good places and nothing. Research a few threads for proper hooks and bait that you should be using. Maybe hook up with a fellow fisher person and get some tips from them.
If your fishing for Rainbows I recomend pink power bait for your bait on a med sized wire worm or similar hook. Works for me most of the time.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:49 AM

Im going fishing with worms and a bobber at fort sask pond i normally do fairly well ...ill letcha know whats good over there when im back ...nice fish in that pond
Old 09-28-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I think you're asking the wrong question, "anyone knows anywhere" is very vague.

Now if these questions offend you I'm sorry but it is a must since I need to know if you actually know how to catch fish because I've caught fish in all those locations you mentioned... so it may not be the location that is the problem my friend.

A) do you have a boat? If not are you stuck to shore fishing?
B) lures, flies or bait chucker?
C) What are the exact methods you have been using to fish?
For example the pound test of line, fluorocarbon or not, use of a steel leader, the lure and the size of lure. (these factors alone can determine whether you catch fish or not)
D) Have you ever caught a fish before?

E) Don't give up, winter is coming! The fish practically jump out of the hole into your lap!

Here is a map of Hermitage park.

The Red Star is best place on the lake to fish. This point holds a good number off fish. Problem is there is often someone there when I go. So second best I just go to the short Blue arrow. If that doesn't work try the long blue arrow. If you don't connect open water season make sure you hit Hermitage in the ice season and fish anywhere in the thin blue lined area. Early morning and evening in November and December you should catch some rainbow trout.

Good Luck. Answer questions above and we'll see if you can be pointed it the catching direction.
Hi, I'm not offended, just frustrated that I haven't caught anything yet.
Answers to your questions..
- No boat yet, stuck to shore.
- Lures, spinners, raps, powerbait on small treble..
- Tried casting, bobbers
- Yes I've caught fish before, which is why I'm frustrated because I just moved from ontario and am used to catching lots from pike to bass to trout.
I even tried all of those spots on the map, plus more and nothing.
If you have any lure or fishing tips please pm me, I'd appreciate anything.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Hi, I'm not offended, just frustrated that I haven't caught anything yet.
Answers to your questions..
- No boat yet, stuck to shore.
- Lures, spinners, raps, powerbait on small treble..
- Tried casting, bobbers
- Yes I've caught fish before, which is why I'm frustrated because I just moved from ontario and am used to catching lots from pike to bass to trout.
I even tried all of those spots on the map, plus more and nothing.
If you have any lure or fishing tips please pm me, I'd appreciate anything.
Try a form search on the nsr. try to pm the successful members. A few spots seem to get hot in fall. for trout ponds try a floating slider rig . Use a tiny treble with enough power bait to float the hook then rig a egg weight 2'-3' up the line with a good quality split shot as a stop. The egg sinker should be able free slide away from the hook with the split shot stoping it getting closer than 2'-3'. Cast and let line free spool to bottom then carefully tighten line try not to move the sinker. Strike with a long sweep at any tip movement. A pen spring cut in half slid over the shank of the treble helps secure dough bait to hook. Tight lines.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:59 AM

Heres how i like to catch trout ...if you fly fish ..backswimmers boatmen or shrimps a cpl to try right now ..if not you can try these on a bobber with a lottle weight...or put a half dew worm two feet under a bobber with a cpl split shots about six inches apart...im no expert but i normally catch
Old 09-29-2014, 01:17 AM

Sounds like you know what you are doing just keep trying and modifying. A great lure in Alberta is a chrome and blue or gold kastmaster. The small size, an inch long, can't remember the oz off the top of my head. Retrieve should be semi erratic. Also small spoons like length Thompson red and yellow. Kamlooper spoons in rainbow color.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
Im going fishing with worms and a bobber at fort sask pond i normally do fairly well ...ill letcha know whats good over there when im back ...nice fish in that pond
Do they winter kill or survive in that pond?

Old 09-29-2014, 08:09 AM

You will be disappointed with Edmonton area from shore. You can catch the odd new stock trout and some fish out of the river but I am pretty sure it will be nothing compared to how you used to do in Ontario. I had a rude awakening on the subject when I moved here from Saskatchewan, I was used to going out and catching my limit of pike or walleye from shore and here could barely catch a thing let alone anything I could keep. I have since realized a boat is extremely helpful on most of the water bodies here and that even with a boat it is tough to find keeper size fish.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:43 AM

dont let ravyaks constant negativity towards shore fishing bring you down or discourage you, im really not sure why he posts this crap instead of just answering your questions. I have a boat, float tube, canoe and im not as he would say "dissapointed" when fishing from shore. If you dont have a boat you dont have a boat thats just the way she goes. tons and tons of excellent shore opportunitys around just got to find them. Pm me and il give ya a few spots and techniques to get you started. Dont listen to the negativity of some of these guys.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigsy View Post
dont let ravyaks constant negativity towards shore fishing bring you down or discourage you, im really not sure why he posts this crap instead of just answering your questions. I have a boat, float tube, canoe and im not as he would say "dissapointed" when fishing from shore. If you dont have a boat you dont have a boat thats just the way she goes. tons and tons of excellent shore opportunitys around just got to find them. Pm me and il give ya a few spots and techniques to get you started. Dont listen to the negativity of some of these guys.
A big X2 on that! I have just started shore fishing the NSR this spring. I caught every species listed in the regulations for this area with ease (and a lot of time down there) There are lots of places to shore fish in and around Edmonton.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Serious question for you, have you ever lived anywhere other then Edmonton? How many times have you gone shore fishing and brought back more then 3 walleye or pike for supper? In some other places you can actually do this, easily... Here it is not only difficult but illegal... When you are used to fishing in an area where you can do stuff like that it is a shock to come here and struggle to even catch a fish let alone one you can eat. I don't know that the OP is a catch and keep fisherman but if he is he will have to lower his expectations here even if he gets a boat in the future...

If the OP is dead set on shore fishing(this year obviously) then any stocked trout pond should have fish, you just need to figure out how to catch them. River has fish but most of the good spots are overrun with people and trash, makes it easy to figure out where people are fishing though... Narrows as mentioned earlier is probably one of the best pike shore fishing spots but take note you are on reserve land and the one time I fished from there I was hassled for money...

Next year though if you have some sort of way to get on the water you can catch the big pike at Wabamun(unfortunately very tough from shore), hordes of walleye from either St Anne or Pigeon. Nice trout from Muir and a few others ponds(possible from shore but less chance). And if you are willing to drive a couple hours can find some other nice lakes and species.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:47 PM

I'd say if you move further west or southwest you will find great rivers (say 1-3 hours) you will catch fish. No big lakes (not the case for spray lakes in canmore) if shore fishing I'd say (personal experience) except spawning times? More familiar with the foothills area near canmore. Nothing beats the local bow fishing though. I'm impressed by that river. From my experince, on sunny days, river is all day and for stillwaters evening and morning. Do you shore fishing on Lake Ontario? If so thats amazing. That lake is big. Some flowing waterways you could use bait (for trout) in ontario I know, but not case for alberta (except low reaches of a river)
Old 09-29-2014, 04:49 PM

But I'd say in alberta the edmonton area would be a boat fisherman's pardise
Old 09-29-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Serious question for you, have you ever lived anywhere other then Edmonton? How many times have you gone shore fishing and brought back more then 3 walleye or pike for supper? In some other places you can actually do this, easily... Here it is not only difficult but illegal... When you are used to fishing in an area where you can do stuff like that it is a shock to come here and struggle to even catch a fish let alone one you can eat. I don't know that the OP is a catch and keep fisherman but if he is he will have to lower his expectations here even if he gets a boat in the future...
No I haven't. And I don't care if I bring home fish I fish for fun. I get my three tags a year and that's good enough by me. I understand that you can other places ive fished many other provinces and areas. I remember being in nwt walking down to a little lake by my aunts house fishing for an hour and bringing home a nice pike and walleye. it was nice but I don't need that. So your here in Edmonton so get over it you don't like it leave. quit being a little baby and being so negative its so tiring seeing your crappy attitude on this awesome province and city we live in on every post someone asks about shore fishing. just spent the weekend catching big pike at wab from shore, and I catch mostly walleye at the narrows so you don't need a boat. also we have got all our big trout at muir from shore. so just because YOU cant do it doesn't mean others cant. so keep your negative crap to yourself im sick of it and im sure others are as well
Old 09-29-2014, 08:09 PM

I think what rav is referring to is that you can fish from shore but can easily out fish the people on shore from a boat.

How many 20 pound pike were caught in the area from shore at wab ? Heck even 10 pounders there were only 3 times out of probably 40 times I went to wab I never boated at least 1 over 10. Not saying it can't be done just rarer.

Shore fishing is doable it's just tougher, your more limited to where you can fish and area to cover/ access , by this time if year a lot of the lakes I go to have a lot of weed growth closer to shore making it a little more difficult.

As for the river unless you have a good boat it's hard to fish from a boat in the river. Just makes accessing holes a lot more convent.

My experience here this time of year would be hit some of the out falls around the city early morning you'll get come nice walleye on minnows.

The river is getting tougher the fish here now this time of year fish are all sleeping I think.

One of the best resources is the alberta regulations or I fish alberta.

Gives you species lists and people give reports.

Don't be surprised on here if you don't get great info, I spend 100's of hours out fishing and learning bodies of water and countless sleepless nights trying to figure out the ways of our fish friends.

Good luck

Ps maybe we should have a fish off a few from shore and a few in a boat and we will tally our numbers at the end of the day
Old 09-29-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
No I haven't. And I don't care if I bring home fish I fish for fun. I get my three tags a year and that's good enough by me. I understand that you can other places ive fished many other provinces and areas. I remember being in nwt walking down to a little lake by my aunts house fishing for an hour and bringing home a nice pike and walleye. it was nice but I don't need that. So your here in Edmonton so get over it you don't like it leave. quit being a little baby and being so negative its so tiring seeing your crappy attitude on this awesome province and city we live in on every post someone asks about shore fishing. just spent the weekend catching big pike at wab from shore, and I catch mostly walleye at the narrows so you don't need a boat. also we have got all our big trout at muir from shore. so just because YOU cant do it doesn't mean others cant. so keep your negative crap to yourself im sick of it and im sure others are as well
do you have a boat or you are like one of us, shore has worked for years though boats would be an advantage
Old 09-29-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
First of all, I don't have a negative crappy attitude towards this province or its fishing... There is some good fishing around here, some of it you have to drive 2-3 hours to get to though and some of it you need a boat to unlock the full potential. The nice thing about this area is that there are lakes with big pike, nice walleye and decent trout all within roughly an hour of Edmonton. The one thing that is definitely disappointing about Edmonton is that if a person wants to keep a fish for a meal it is far from a sure thing to get a keeper except for at stocked trout ponds if you don't mind eating muddy trout.

Second, if you are strictly a catch and release fisherman and you don't have experience living in other areas with better shore fishing then maybe your opinion is the one that is skewed and maybe you should let other people give their opinions based on their experiences which may be different then your own...

And lastly along the same lines as Rebel's question. How many big pike are pulled out of wab off the shore compared to the boat? How many shore fisherman pull out 50+ walleye at Pigeon? How many 20+ inch trout are caught out of Muir from shore compared to with a boat? How many good sturgeon holes have no walk in access? What I am stating isn't an opinion. It is a fact that if you have a boat even a crappy one you will catch more fish and bigger fish here then you will fishing off shore.

If you are happy with your shore fishing experience then good for you. We really don't need to have this conversation every time just because your opinion is different then mine...
Old 09-29-2014, 11:27 PM

They didnt ask for your opinion on keeping fish from other places. They asked for tips on fishing from SHORE. So keep your opinion about shore fishing to yourself and give them tips or just dont reply.I UNDERSTAND ITS BETTER FROM A BOAT. I have one. But these people dont and im sure most fisherman if they could would get one. But they dont so they are making do on shore. We will have this convo everytime because you feel the need to put your crap on every thread asking for tips. Just answer the dang questions.

And as for you spin i already stated what i have and i dont really feel the need to repeat to a troll.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:13 AM

Bank maggot 4 life!!!!

I like fishing from a boat, and I like the increased accessibility offered on a river with a boat. but a day on shore not catching fish is better then a day in a boat not catching fish.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 09-30-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:
They didnt ask for your opinion on keeping fish from other places. They asked for tips on fishing from SHORE. So keep your opinion about shore fishing to yourself and give them tips or just dont reply.I UNDERSTAND ITS BETTER FROM A BOAT. I have one. But these people dont and im sure most fisherman if they could would get one. But they dont so they are making do on shore. We will have this convo everytime because you feel the need to put your crap on every thread asking for tips. Just answer the dang questions.

And as for you spin i already stated what i have and i dont really feel the need to repeat to a troll.
Braydon, since you feel the need to be the shore fishing police on here why don't you post something to help the OP and other shore fishermen out? You must be able to share a couple of your "tons and tons of excellent shore fishing opportunities"...

OP, here are some other common places shore fishermen seem to like that haven't been mentioned yet...

Trout: Chickakoo, Sauer, Star, Salters

River: Devon bridge, Whitemud creek, Hermitage outflow, Legends, Dawson Park, Goldbar Park

Pike: Wabamun by sundance, Wizard

I still recommend getting some sort of a boat in the future though, much better fishing imo...
Old 09-30-2014, 02:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Hunter View Post
Try east pit lake,other side of the hwy from wabamun.
I was out at east pit lake on sunday morning at first light and caught two nice rainbows on a dragon fly nymph pattern. I checked the stomach contents and they are feeding heavily on dragon nymphs. I fished from the shore
Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 AM

Tyler you really dont get it do you? . Im not the shore police im just saying your negative first post on every persons thread asking questions is stupid and doesnt help and noone cares!! We dont care that you came from a place where you dont have to have any technique or skill to catch fish and now that your at a place that you need it your having trouble because you lack said skill and technique. I told the OP to pm me and il gladly share anything I can. But the OP is having a tough time catching fish , asks a simple question and your reply is your gunna be dissapointed. How the heck does that help at all. Like are you really that dumb that you cant see how useless your post is? Im done with you for now its like trying to reason with a women who thinks shes right.

Yaker- yep its mind boggling

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 09-30-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:35 AM

This has turned sideways realy fast. Give the OP some helpfull sugestions people. Like maybe the narrows by Alberta beach for walleye and pike. A good spot on the NSR.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.