Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Banned

RavYak I catch nice orange meat rainbows within a hour of city that are not muddy. . Again you are misinformed.... to the Op.. You can come out fishing in my boat with me or on the ice I will private message you my cell. .. I don't shore fish much but I ice fish a whack and get out in the boat quite a bit. .. maybe we will see a kayak out there and give it a wake to remember.

Tight lines everyone,

Mike
Old 09-30-2014, 09:34 AM

Lets keep the thread going in a better direction please.....
Old 09-30-2014, 10:00 AM
Banned

Hey I can bring you out not this Sunday but more than likely the next if you want. ...
Old 09-30-2014, 10:49 AM

Hey op pm me your number im probky goin trout fishing this weekend ..i have two pontoon boats were good to go..or we can take my motorboat up to you..get vigsy in on it too well go slay some gooders to provee a point
Old 09-30-2014, 10:51 AM

MsFinch ..take up some of the offers that you are getting and learn some of the different styles of shore fishing ..use the google to also increase your knowledge ..here is one then go to the others and watch
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...40C039152B490D

keep at girl you will get there

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFinch View Post
I've been out to a few places, and have yet to catch anything - not even a bite.
- Hermitage pond, Beaumont pond, north Saskatchewan river, wabamun lake.. Nothing
If anyone knows anywhere, please share some (Edmonton area). I'm kindly asking, so please don't comment with "get out and look". I've been looking, I've found hunting just not fishing. PM me please
Old 09-30-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Serious question for you, have you ever lived anywhere other then Edmonton? How many times have you gone shore fishing and brought back more then 3 walleye or pike for supper? In some other places you can actually do this, easily... Here it is not only difficult but illegal... When you are used to fishing in an area where you can do stuff like that it is a shock to come here and struggle to even catch a fish let alone one you can eat. I don't know that the OP is a catch and keep fisherman but if he is he will have to lower his expectations here even if he gets a boat in the future...

If the OP is dead set on shore fishing(this year obviously) then any stocked trout pond should have fish, you just need to figure out how to catch them. River has fish but most of the good spots are overrun with people and trash, makes it easy to figure out where people are fishing though... Narrows as mentioned earlier is probably one of the best pike shore fishing spots but take note you are on reserve land and the one time I fished from there I was hassled for money...

Next year though if you have some sort of way to get on the water you can catch the big pike at Wabamun(unfortunately very tough from shore), hordes of walleye from either St Anne or Pigeon. Nice trout from Muir and a few others ponds(possible from shore but less chance). And if you are willing to drive a couple hours can find some other nice lakes and species.
Thank you, and I understand that it's not going to be as easy as catching fish in ontario. As for being the op, I'm a "fisherwoman", and I am most definitely a catch and keep. I'm only here to see if there's any kind people who wouldn't mind sharing a couple spots that they've been succesful at, or even tips for catching certain species - seeing as how I caught trout, pike, walleye, bass, etc. in ontario, doesn't work here.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Thank you, and I understand that it's not going to be as easy as catching fish in ontario. As for being the op, I'm a "fisherwoman", and I am most definitely a catch and keep. I'm only here to see if there's any kind people who wouldn't mind sharing a couple spots that they've been succesful at, or even tips for catching certain species - seeing as how I caught trout, pike, walleye, bass, etc. in ontario, doesn't work here.
You are welcome.

For the catch and keep fisherman things are tough here. The only waters that a guy can consistently catch something to keep are at the trout ponds. From shore most people use bait but I prefer tiny spinners and spoons(panther martins, smallest len thompson etc). Brandonkop has some good posts and videos showing how he catches trout from shore with bait, definitely worth looking up.

For walleye you can head west to the pembina river to try and catch a keeper there. Now is the time to do it but it is a bit of a drive and will likely take multiple trips and scouting to find a decent spot and don't be surprised if you get skunked a few times. The narrows at st anne would be an option but you need tags and can only keep 3 fish for the whole year. I have resigned to getting my walleye feeds each summer when I go back to Sask.

For pike you are going to be hard pressed to find a lake you can keep fish at and catch them off shore. I know a couple options where you could catch a keeper but you need a boat.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigsy View Post
They didnt ask for your opinion on keeping fish from other places. They asked for tips on fishing from SHORE. So keep your opinion about shore fishing to yourself and give them tips or just dont reply.I UNDERSTAND ITS BETTER FROM A BOAT. I have one. But these people dont and im sure most fisherman if they could would get one. But they dont so they are making do on shore. We will have this convo everytime because you feel the need to put your crap on every thread asking for tips. Just answer the dang questions.

And as for you spin i already stated what i have and i dont really feel the need to repeat to a troll.
Thank you for getting to the point. I didn't mean to have replies from people seeing others opinions and disputing. I'm just new to fishing in and around edmonton, and appreciate any and all suggestions/tips, etc. Thanks again
Old 09-30-2014, 01:37 PM

Thanks for finally answering the original question Rav. Was it really so hard?
I am more of a fly fishing trout guy and do not fish the NSR or any of the non trout lakes.
The map of Hermitage was pretty good. My favourite spot though is between the two ponds on the west side just before the hill. It gets pretty weedy though so maybe better on a fly. The red star spot is awesome. It is deep around there and very little weeds.
East pit is usually a good spot too if you do not mind the climb up and down the hill.
Good luck and hopefully someone will get you into some fish.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:34 AM

MsFinch,
OP stands for "original poster" incase you did not know.
Good luck getting on the fish. Hope you do well.

Not sure if you would drive 1.5 hrs to catch trout, shore fishing. If you want to know a place that far out, PM me. I go there beginning of Dec a couple times every year ice fishing and get some gooders, taste not bad too. just as soon as the ice hits 4 to 6"

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I'm sure your pike, walleye and trout tactics would work. In ontario you can keep quite some fish. Started keeping fish if I may keep some,after finding out that fish is quite healthy. Also found out they taste pretty good
Old 10-01-2014, 10:31 PM

MsFinch
You might want to consider targeting whitefish. Most lakes have em and you can keep them(there are limits though). Maybe pm Speckle55 for some pointers/tips or search "whitefish" in search function.

Also you can use the search function to find tips/lakes already posted.

Good luck and good fishin.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:03 AM

Default iFish Alberta App

Another decent place to start is the iFish Alberta app. Get some hotspots and information on what's biting and how. Come winter, you'll get ice reports for ice thickness.

http://www.ifishalberta.com/

The app helped me get a good start on Wabs, NSR, Beaumount and ice fishing Carson Lake when I moved back from Vancouver.

Best of luck!

Quote:
Thank you for getting to the point. I didn't mean to have replies from people seeing others opinions and disputing. I'm just new to fishing in and around edmonton, and appreciate any and all suggestions/tips, etc. Thanks again
Old 10-08-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund rebel View Post
I think what rav is referring to is that you can fish from shore but can easily out fish the people on shore from a boat.

How many 20 pound pike were caught in the area from shore at wab ? Heck even 10 pounders there were only 3 times out of probably 40 times I went to wab I never boated at least 1 over 10. Not saying it can't be done just rarer.

Shore fishing is doable it's just tougher, your more limited to where you can fish and area to cover/ access , by this time if year a lot of the lakes I go to have a lot of weed growth closer to shore making it a little more difficult.

As for the river unless you have a good boat it's hard to fish from a boat in the river. Just makes accessing holes a lot more convent.

My experience here this time of year would be hit some of the out falls around the city early morning you'll get come nice walleye on minnows.

The river is getting tougher the fish here now this time of year fish are all sleeping I think.

One of the best resources is the alberta regulations or I fish alberta.

Gives you species lists and people give reports.

Don't be surprised on here if you don't get great info, I spend 100's of hours out fishing and learning bodies of water and countless sleepless nights trying to figure out the ways of our fish friends.

Good luck

Ps maybe we should have a fish off a few from shore and a few in a boat and we will tally our numbers at the end of the day
I think a boat on a lake can out fish , However on the river, the bank is the plave to be ! . A banker can out fish a boat on the river, Except the boat can get up and move to a new spot that may not have access on foot, Lakes yes, a boat is best , but on the river, it don't matter ! shore is great !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-08-2014, 09:44 AM

I have not been out for a while and wondering if it would be worth putting the boat in the water one last time this weekend for some walleye?
Old 10-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
...maybe we will see a kayak out there and give it a wake to remember.

Mike

Hope it's a tan kayak(hint, hint) and not my camo kayak although I like playing in the waves.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Banned

Haaa good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Yaker View Post
Hope it's a tan kayak(hint, hint) and not my camo kayak although I like playing in the waves.