Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-11-2022, 04:59 PM

Default Trigger more lake trout Bites

One question I get asked a ton is regarding how to get lake trout to bite when jigging for them. I decided to go out with my live sonar to help explain a few of the little tricks (a studder reel or a super quick reel) I use to help get those fish to fully commit when jigging. This morning was loaded with lots of chasers and a few fish that needed convincing but overall the mood of these fish was to feed and the action was basically non stop. Sometimes taking that extra 20-40 minutes before dropping a line to scout an area can make all the difference as these fish were sitting in a very concentrated area. Hopefully you enjoy and good luck on the water!

https://youtu.be/Dqeft1ODEOE

Old 07-11-2022, 05:44 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Great tips, if you got the electronics to see the chase like you said play the fish to see what they want.
You mentioned in another video just something like moving to another area can be the difference of active fish.
Keep the vids coming and thx for all the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-12-2022, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Great tips, if you got the electronics to see the chase like you said play the fish to see what they want.
You mentioned in another video just something like moving to another area can be the difference of active fish.
Keep the vids coming and thx for all the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks 58thecat i’m sure i’ll run into you one of these days out there
Old 07-19-2022, 12:00 PM

One key thing you mentioned right there .... scout around the area with your sonar to mark the spots where the fish are present (and some suspended off bottom) which usually indicates more active fish as opposed to the ones glued on bottom.

That 15-20 investment pays off.

Also, if you are getting chasers that won't commit, after trying the speed it up thing, sometimes a sudden drop back down and a few pumps on bottom to start the chase all over again has them take another look.