Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2022, 10:36 AM

Default Gear rod setup for pike/walleye

I am/have always been a die hard flyfisher. But have realized when camping at lakes that are pike/walleye type lakes a gear rod would be easiest for myself, the kids, wife etc.

I have no clue where to start. Doers anyone have some pointers? Looking for 4 rods total.

I was looking at reels and liked this type of reel

https://www.amazon.ca/Abu-Garcia-BMA...13395432&psc=1
Old 07-08-2022, 11:15 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Gear rod setup for pike/walleye

Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Combo

Spool it with 20lbs braid and your good to go for an all around rod/reel for all to use, enjoy and if something was to get broken or lost your not out too much cash.

I know fellas around here that use them on lakers etc and have no issues at all.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/74190...hoCBQ0QAvD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-08-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Combo

Spool it with 20lbs braid and your good to go for an all around rod/reel for all to use, enjoy and if something was to get broken or lost your not out too much cash.

I know fellas around here that use them on lakers etc and have no issues at all.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/74190...hoCBQ0QAvD_BwE

Is there any advantages a spinning reel has over the one I posted a link to?
Old 07-08-2022, 11:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post

That just comes down to personal preference.

The thing with what I mentioned you can change over from lefties to righties to whatever the angler prefers.

You mentioned family rod/reels so I had always went with rugged user friendly type set ups and if and when something went south I wasn’t out a bunch of cash cuz you and I both know it will…..watched a beautiful cast of a lure and the rod and reel followed

My wife still runs her ugly stick of like 10 plus years but has a pflueger reel, 20lbs braid for literally everything.
Lakers, pike,walleye,perch etc

Good luck on your quest.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-08-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Easier to cast & casts light lures better. Of course we have no idea what you’re chucking so the bait caster might be better for your purposes.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:59 PM

I can just visulize the rats nest kids would get with a bait caster and the frustation they would go through.

Med. rod with a spinning reel will work OK and the kids will learn a lot easier as well. As to braid, everyone has their own opinion on that one. I use braid on my jigging rods but other than that mono which I change out every season.
Old 07-08-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I can just visulize the rats nest kids would get with a bait caster and the frustation they would go through.

Med. rod with a spinning reel will work OK and the kids will learn a lot easier as well. As to braid, everyone has their own opinion on that one. I use braid on my jigging rods but other than that mono which I change out every season.
I did not realize bait casters could be such a pain lol
Old 07-08-2022, 05:09 PM

I much prefer spinning gear for casting, but I did start using a baitcasting setup for jigging this year. I may get into casting with it, but my first few attempts, didn't go all that well.

I still use monofilament line for all of my fishing gear, just personal preference.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
For kids, yes. Bait casters have a learning curve and you must be paying attention all the time casting. For adults it can get to be second nature, but I would never expect a kid to do well with one. Go spinning for the kids.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-08-2022, 07:21 PM

I really like a baitcaster for bottom bouncing. It's easy to control the amount of line that you let out by using just your thumb. I have the handle on the left side, the same as it is with my spinning rods.

When my kid's learned to fish they had baitcasters. They would bobber fish or do some type of trolling. The nice thing is that kids tend to get pretty excited when they get a fish and with a baitcaster, they can crank that handle until their arm falls off without getting the line all twisted.

Quote:

Last edited by Big Sky; 07-08-2022 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:06 PM

My advice .... go with a regular spinning rod ..... here's why

- If you are new into fishing with lures, and you want to introduce this to your family, why go through the frustration curve associated with properly setting up, adjusting and using a baitcaster when a spinning reel is easy. Baitcasters are certainly more difficult to use and will rats nest any novice on a regular basis.

- A good baitcaster costs twice as much as a similar quality spinning reel

- there are very few light or ultralight rods designed as baitcasters
Old 07-08-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akn View Post
Easier to cast & casts light lures better. Of course we have no idea what you’re chucking so the bait caster might be better for your purposes.
That would be a very very small lure, like a bare hook maybe. Even a small 1/8oz jig head cast properly from a baitcaster with EASILY cast much further compared to a spinning reel (all things being equal).

They are also far more accurate, typically have a better drag and are generally more comfortable for repeat casting all day.

They do, HOWEVER, cost more, tangle more, frustrate more compared to a spinning reel in the hands of anyone who isn't proficient at using one.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:53 PM

When it comes to jigging walleye ,even an ice fishing rod works great because they are under the boat where the shade is. Normally five feet out from the boat using a 6 ft rod they won't come out in the sun to get the minnow on your hook.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
They aren't once you learn how to set them a proper bait casting rod , and set the preload on them.
I personally have been a master of the bird's nest since the 50's!
Seriously though, I use a bait caster as much as a spinning reel and a fly rod
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-08-2022 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:54 PM

Advantage of a spinning reel:
- Good quality reels can be had for less than an equivalent baitcaster.
- handles can be swapped from left to right, depending on the user.
- easier to cast without backlashes.

Downside of spinning reel:
- Reeling while drag is pulled can put twists in the line
- not as compact as a baitcaster
- cheap ones tend to pack it in quickly

Advantage of a baitcaster:
- Smoother drag
- No line twist created
- Better casting accuracy (with practice)
- tend to last longer than the spinning reels.

Disadvantage of a baitcaster:
- easy to have a birds nest if you don’t thumb the spool or use one like the Shimano Curado DC which uses a computer to slow the spool to prevent this
- good ones are quite a bit more than an equivalent spinning

My advice would be to go with some good spinning rod & reel setups for the kids and if you want a baitcaster to get a high quality one for yourself. Cheap baitcasters are a good way for your kids to learn curse words…

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-08-2022, 10:02 PM

Why do these reels tend to birdsnest so easy?

Over the years I have tried various gears rods just to get a feel for them when fishing with friends and used a spinning rod growing up until I got into flyfishing. Lots of new gear out there that I am not familiar with so this is a learning curve. I can tell you anything and everything about fly fishing, tying, casting etc. Gear is pretty new to me LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71KjKDfmY9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (38.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-08-2022, 10:24 PM

Pretty simple answer. For those of us that have mastered them and those that have bird nests and fight them. And yes I have sold them and trained many how to use them too.
Most have no idea on how to use the knobs. People just tell you to cast and thumb it which is all wrong. Learn the knobs and what they do not just the workaround make do stuff. Use YouTube, buy a guy a coffee or a beer that knows his stuff and works the reel properly and then you can go out and enjoy your fishing. Lots of little training things and tricks to hwlp make you a great caster and enjoy while your buddies fight backlash all day and tell you the reel sucks when it is really you.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:42 PM

I'd say for a "all around" Pike & Walleye rod I'd probably get something like this ....(a mid / Moderate quality SPINNING rod and reel to start off with)

Rod - ($60-90) rod, 6'-6" or 7', Medium Power, Fast Action - Shimano and Fenwick at this price point - remember to match the rod to the reel (Spinning rod goes with spinning reel and casting rod goes with bait cast reel) - you can't mix an match as the guides are different sizes to work properly with the spools.

Reel - ($70-120) - I would look for a 2000/2500 series reel (that refers to the size based on line weight, drag, etc..), something with 20+lbs of drag, 5 or more bearings (more is better) and ABU GARCIA or Shimano are the best at that price point.

Line - ($25) - power pro super slick - 15lb or 20lb - casts smoothly, is not hard on the guides, does not fray and deteriorate compared to cheaper lines, and often has a break strength much higher than the box says it does. It's also thinner compared to cheaper lines.

Leader - for PIKE tie up some 40lb fluorocarbon leader material to prevent the toothy critters biting through. Keep in mind this is not fluorocarbon LINE it will actually say Fluorocarbon LEADER - they are two different things (leaders are less supple, but are much more abrasion resistant). No wore leader needed. 16"-20" is perfect. Seaguar, Diawa J-Carbon, (both made in JAPAN) are the best quality, best clarity.

Leader - for walleye - 8lb mono or fluoro line is great. I like Trilene XL (extra limp) mono.

Last edited by EZM; 07-08-2022 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Pretty simple answer. For those of us that have mastered them and those that have bird nests and fight them. And yes I have sold them and trained many how to use them too.
Most have no idea on how to use the knobs. People just tell you to cast and thumb it which is all wrong. Learn the knobs and what they do not just the workaround make do stuff. Use YouTube, buy a guy a coffee or a beer that knows his stuff and works the reel properly and then you can go out and enjoy your fishing. Lots of little training things and tricks to hwlp make you a great caster and enjoy while your buddies fight backlash all day and tell you the reel sucks when it is really you.
The "knobs" are very very important to maximize the potential of a bait caster, as is setting (or disengaging) the brakes as you get better and better with controlling the casts without a bird's nest.

Casting reels have 3 main adjustments (although some have more features) - There is spool tension knob, a drag setting knob (or star) and a set of brakes under the cover - there are likely some good videos on the internet that can explain it far better than I can.

Once you figure out how to use the spool tension and brakes - then you can truly become a bait casting JEDI

I am, and will remain, a PADWAN as I still get the occasional bird's nest (although usually just a wrap or two) when I'm trying bomb a long one out, all brakes off, and getting "too cool for school".

Casting a bait-caster, all things equal, unadjusted properly (all brakes on and spool over tensioned), will outcast almost any spinning reel any day of the week. With the brakes off, and the spool set correctly for the lure, in proficient hands will literally almost DOUBLE your casting distance (same lure same line).
Old 07-09-2022, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Why do these reels tend to birdsnest so easy?

Over the years I have tried various gears rods just to get a feel for them when fishing with friends and used a spinning rod growing up until I got into flyfishing. Lots of new gear out there that I am not familiar with so this is a learning curve. I can tell you anything and everything about fly fishing, tying, casting etc. Gear is pretty new to me LOL
The short answer... They birdsnest because the line going through the guides on the rod creates drag which slows the lure down, but the spool on the reel wants to keep going. If the brake is not set correctly to the weight of the lure you are using, the spool keeps spinning putting slack in the line on the spool and creating a birdsnest of loose line.

Expecting kids to adjust the brake properly, or failing that thumb the spool correctly sounds like an exercise in patience and pulling out tangles. I have guided adults that still haven't got the hang of using them after 3 days of fishing.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:02 AM

Just to clarify a few things for you

Spin cast reel,,,,,,,,sits on top, has closed fase, push button release absolutely fool proof and fantastic for the novice fisherman make sure the rod is for the reel as the handle and eyes are different. I have caught pike over 20 lbs on these.

Spinning reel,,,,,,,,, next step up for difficulty. Generally can be found a bit cheaper that a quality spin cast. Sits under the rod and you flip the bail, pinch the line to the rod shaft and cast. Again rod must match the type of reel.

Bait cast,,,,,,,under rated in Canada, used lots in the states. Some use them up here for jigging, some for pulling blades or trolling basically anything that does not require a cast. Most difficult of the three to use. I’m with the previously mentioned. I have an American friend that swears by them but he says the cheap ones will always backlash and by cheep he means under 500.00. Again rods are reel specific

Rods,,,,,I kinda look at rods and reels like guns and scopes, I try to get a quality reel/scope compared to the rod/rifle
Shore fishing, I would go with a 7-7.5 foot medium with a fast action for casting
Jigging, a 6 ft medium
Trolling, 8-9 ft medium heavy

Hope this helps
Old 07-10-2022, 01:02 AM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE=troutbug;4538793]I am/have always been a die hard flyfisher. But have realized when camping at lakes that are pike/walleye type lakes a gear rod would be easiest for myself, the kids, wife etc.

I have no clue where to start. Doers anyone have some pointers? Looking for 4 rods total.

I am partial to Ugly Stick Elite.

Ugly Stick Elite spinning combo (new and improved version of GX2) Has 1 Piece
guides so they never separate. Lighter than GX2 due to more Grafite.(35% more)
Baitcaster... I've tried and I like fishing and not spending most time dealing with nests.
For grandchildren, ( 7 and 9 at the time) I got a spinning Junior combo Ugly stick GX2 It was from Walmart on special at 29.99. 20 lb braid, fluorocarbon leader, done. Reg price 59.99? for rod combo only.

I have 3 Ugly Stick Elite rods spinning combos for Walleye/pike fishing ( 7 ft, 6.6ft, and 5ft 1 piece for perch) and
Ugly Stick Elite Salmon/Steelhead 9 ft for river fishing (can toss up to 3 oz weight) This one was not combo so it has Piscifun 5000 Series from Amazon in April for 44 + tax.

Elite combo is priced at 99 but often on sale for 79 (Cabelas)

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 07-10-2022, 07:36 AM

[QUOTE=Andrzej;4539273]
Quote:
I am/have always been a die hard flyfisher. But have realized when camping at lakes that are pike/walleye type lakes a gear rod would be easiest for myself, the kids, wife etc.

I am partial to Ugly Stick Elite.

Ugly Stick Elite spinning combo (new and improved version of GX2) Has 1 Piece
guides so they never separate. Lighter than GX2 due to more Grafite.(35% more)
Baitcaster... I've tried and I like fishing and not spending most time dealing with nests.
For grandchildren, ( 7 and 9 at the time) I got a spinning Junior combo Ugly stick GX2 It was from Walmart on special at 29.99. 20 lb braid, fluorocarbon leader, done. Reg price 59.99? for rod combo only.

I have 3 Ugly Stick Elite rods spinning combos for Walleye/pike fishing ( 7 ft, 6.6ft, and 5ft 1 piece for perch) and
Ugly Stick Elite Salmon/Steelhead 9 ft for river fishing (can toss up to 3 oz weight) This one was not combo so it has Piscifun 5000 Series from Amazon in April for 44 + tax.

Elite combo is priced at 99 but often on sale for 79 (Cabelas)
I can’t get past the name lol, a 5000 is a big reel for the op, my dad always told me friends don’t let friends buy Ugly Sticks lol. I think they are strong enough for what you pay and certainly better than bass pro brand rods.
Old 07-10-2022, 04:03 PM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE=Jims83cj5;4539281]
Quote:

I can’t get past the name lol, a 5000 is a big reel for the op, my dad always told me friends don’t let friends buy Ugly Sticks lol. I think they are strong enough for what you pay and certainly better than bass pro brand rods.
5000 Piscifan reel is for river fishing and has 9+1 ball bearings.

Ugly stick Elite has a Shakespeare reel 6,6 ft has series 30 and 7ft has series 35 both have 4+1 ball bearings.
You can get Elite rods only and buy reels of your choice.

Good advice from EZM

Line - ($25) - power pro super slick - 15lb or 20lb - casts smoothly, is not hard on the guides, does not fray and deteriorate compared to cheaper lines, and often has a break strength much higher than the box says it does. It's also thinner compared to cheaper lines.

Leader - for PIKE tie up some 40lb fluorocarbon leader material to prevent the toothy critters biting through. Keep in mind this is not fluorocarbon LINE it will actually say Fluorocarbon LEADER - they are two different things (leaders are less supple, but are much more abrasion resistant). No wore leader needed. 16"-20" is perfect. Seaguar, Diawa J-Carbon, (both made in JAPAN) are the best quality, best clarity.

Leader - for walleye - 8lb mono or fluoro line is great. I like Trilene XL (extra limp) mono.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW

Last edited by Andrzej; 07-10-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:31 PM

Unless the sizing from pisc is off from the standard, for river fishing you say? Only if your after sturgeon.
I use a 5000 for shore fishing the ocean for a back up to my 6000 with a 14 ft rod and 60lb test. I have yet to see any 2500 not be enough for any pike or walleye. I’d even say a 2000 is more than enough and only because you said pike. I usually fish with a HGM walleye in a medium fast with a 1000 or a 500, shimano or a president. Even a 10 lb walleye was easy with the 500. A friend told me once to try smaller reels, he was not wrong as long as you never bought junk. Buy once cry once. And BTW if your using 8 lb mono for a walleye leader and you are not jigging then use a bobber stop cuz you are gunna be losing lots of blades and beads., walleye got teeth too and the odd pike is a dick.

Last edited by Jims83cj5; 07-10-2022 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:19 PM
Gone Hunting

I did mention that this was EZM recommendation
"Leader - for walleye - 8lb mono or fluoro line is great. I like Trilene XL (extra limp) mono."

Lake that I fish has walleye and pike so a minimum of 20 lb fluorocarbon leader material is my choice retying after each pike, checking for knicks after each fish. If Walleye bite is on and there are lots of pikes I will use 40lb fluorocarbon leader.

I mostly use jigs so I am not concerned with losing beads but using a bobber stopper seems like a good idea for bottom bouncing with a lighter line.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
Old 07-11-2022, 06:31 PM

My main spinning set up fir the Athabssca River is a very old Eagle Claw Blue Diamond grahite , with a Small Quantum Great White reel. No frills, just on / off , front drag and bronze gears .
I also use a lighter weight rod with an old Mtchel Garcia 301.
My main bait caster is a one pice Bill Whop with an extended handle and a 1958 Phluegar Summit or 1960 Supreme , both are direct drive reels. But when they Re properly set up for the weight I am using , they are flawless.
I also own lots of newer baitcasters and level winds from Garcia , Shimano. Penm and Zebco , lovecthem all and have never had an issue with them if they are properly set up.
Cat
Old 07-14-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
My main spinning set up fir the Athabssca River is a very old Eagle Claw Blue Diamond grahite , with a Small Quantum Great White reel. No frills, just on / off , front drag and bronze gears .
I also use a lighter weight rod with an old Mtchel Garcia 301.
My main bait caster is a one pice Bill Whop with an extended handle and a 1958 Phluegar Summit or 1960 Supreme , both are direct drive reels. But when they Re properly set up for the weight I am using , they are flawless.
I also own lots of newer baitcasters and level winds from Garcia , Shimano. Penm and Zebco , lovecthem all and have never had an issue with them if they are properly set up.
Cat
If you are ever interested in selling the Garcia Mitchell 301 - let me know, they are a classic reel and one of the best ever made. If it's French production original it's worth some decent money.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
If you are ever interested in selling the Garcia Mitchell 301 - let me know, they are a classic reel and one of the best ever made. If it's French production original it's worth some decent money.
Soory, That Ain't going to happen today- tomorrow doesn't look any better either! LOL
I bought that reel in an antique shop years ago, it cane in the original plastic box with a spare spool!
I had a certain old 303 as well tgat was stolen during our first break in along with a 1950's Ambasador 5000 , still miss those reels!
Cat
Old 07-15-2022, 10:24 AM

Spin cast reel,,,,,,,,sits on top, has closed fase, push button release absolutely fool proof and fantastic for the novice fisherman make sure the rod is for the reel as the handle and eyes are different. I have caught pike over 20 lbs on these.

Simple as simple gets. I bought my son one bunch of years ago and if I wanted to cast further I would use his, too funny. Push a button, throw forward (hanging on to rod of course), release button. He had it mastered after 10 casts. Closed face no rats nest. I actually learned on an open face level wind when I was starting out almost 60yrs ago. Pretty sure the first few times I didn't call it a rats nest.