Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-09-2009, 12:08 PM

Default First signs of the RAMP program

Well today was opening day for elk in the wmu I hunt. I have been watching a heard of elk (9 cows and an average of 4 bulls) Some nights there were 6 or 7 bulls and some nights only one. The land owner is participating in the RAMP program pilot project. Whoever is in charge of this program determined that his land could support a maximum of 12 hunters per day. Well I dont have the early season elk tag but it was sure fun to go out and watch 12 guys with tags not to mention those that were along for the hunt try and get in on this small herd of elk. I wonder if some landowners could care less if every elk or deer is shot so long as they make some money with the more people they let access the land. Maybe this is a good thing. Not one of those elk were killed because it didnt take long for the herd to realize what was going on with about 15 people closing in on them from all sides. All the tacticts and ethics of hunting were thrown out the window to try and get the first shot and as a result no one got a shot. I wonder if there were any first time elk hunters out there today. Im sure the ramp program has some positives and I hope to see them soon.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:27 PM

you should submit your findings to Ted Morton's office. Was this rifle, sounds more likely for a person to get shot...
Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 PM

Default Circus

What a gong show.I dont know if this ramp thing is going to work?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Right on. Finally, some PROGRESS in this world today. Sounds like we are all gonna get what we,,, I mean, Ted wanted,,, a world class wreck. Morton should be made to dump his priority on the first string of elk hunts to get a real good handle on what he has done. I feel bad for the guys down there right now that were looking forward to a little elk meat in their freezers after waiting all those years.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by lilsundance; 09-09-2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: language
Old 09-09-2009, 10:19 PM
bubbasno1

Sheesh, I don't know why this isn't going to work. It is such a well thought out and organized program.

This is only the beginning of the freak show. Once this fails, as it surely will, watch for HFH to rear its ugly head again.

Sure glad I 999'd my 300 elk.

Bubba
Old 09-11-2009, 10:59 PM
MAV

I remember the first time I went to a pheasant release site I was so pumped about knowing that birds were there and it was going to be “easy” hunting. What a **** show, I tend to avoid those places now and I get way more enjoyment and way better birds. Sounds like this might have about the same appeal as a release site only thing they need now is to release some elk.

Any time we make something “easy” we end up with complicated mess. The smart hunter would have been getting access the old fashion way and sitting on the other side of the fence waiting for the herd to come to him, but then again who wants to hunt like that anyway. I hope hunters start to realize that hunting is not supposed to be easy and the govt can't help make it "easy".

I guess Blaine will have more journal entries like this… “ take the tractor to the hay field to rebuild fence that 30 head of elk we fed all summer tore down during the first day of hunting season.”

But I guess he can still access the govt. program for wildlife damage can’t he?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:01 PM

this is a touchy subject and ill leave it at that
Old 09-12-2009, 02:08 PM

I may be wrong but if the restriction is for a number like 12 a day for access does that number not include the people along to help? Which if I'm correct that would be over the daily restricted number from what you saw.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Banned

You said there were 12 hunters in there opening morning...my question is how many people were in there last year or the year before?

I am curious if it is the same number or more or less than previous years???
Old 09-13-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Morton View Post
You said there were 12 hunters in there opening morning...my question is how many people were in there last year or the year before?

I am curious if it is the same number or more or less than previous years???
There has been about 4-6 people over the past few years on that land opening day. Not sure if they all had tags or not. When I had the bull tag in 2005 there were three of us with tags opening morning.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:49 PM

Don't worry there want be any funding for this project in a years time or any other piece of **** legislation this half baked Gov has tried to come up with.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:14 PM

Jeez, my buddy just used a 10 point elk draw in 300 and had the hunt of his life. He shot a nice 6x7 that scores right at 330 B&C.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:17 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Jeez, my buddy just used a 10 point elk draw in 300 and had the hunt of his life. He shot a nice 6x7 that scores right at 330 B&C.
There are definitely some good elk in that zone. Did he shoot it on land that was involved in the RAMP program?

Bubba
Old 09-16-2009, 08:25 PM

Yes he did, he only hunted on RAMP land - places that recorded his WIN number.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:39 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting as the last I heard, which was earlier this week, the program is not even ready yet. They hoped by the end of September or early October they would have everything finalized. How did he find out about the properties? Were there signs?

Bubba
Old 09-16-2009, 09:13 PM

No idea, he is from Edmonton and said he knew no one there and with out it wouldn't have had any where to hunt.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
WMU 300 is two different zones that far all intents and purposes are two completely different worlds.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-17-2009, 07:37 AM
sniper_700ti_mckaylake_gu

Quote:
No idea, he is from Edmonton and said he knew no one there and with out it wouldn't have had any where to hunt.

Would you be kind enough to find out the landowner's name from your buddy. That way we could all try the ramp program and see how good it works.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:40 AM

Ha! If he could figure it out it shouldn't be beyond you abilities...
Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 AM
sniper_700ti_mckaylake_gu

Quote:
Ha! If he could figure it out it shouldn't be beyond you abilities...
Thanks for helping out.
I guess I'll just call Bull **** on your story.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:51 PM
sheephunter

Just e-mailed the fellow myself and the story is indeed true.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:54 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
So your buddy put in his draw way back in June without knowing anything about the area and solely hoping that RAMP would actually fly. Not knowing which landowners were participating if any.

I sure would not waste my priority on these assumptions.

Welcome to hunting in Alberta country club style.

Bubba
Old 09-17-2009, 04:38 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
So your buddy put in his draw way back in June without knowing anything about the area and solely hoping that RAMP would actually fly. Not knowing which landowners were participating if any.
I'm sure he heard how easy it was to get permission down there and wasn't concerned.

RAMP hadn't been announced yet when the draws were due had it? I know the first I heard was around July 10th.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Banned

I put my draw in for 300 for years until I got drawn without knowing anyone or anything about the area. When I got drawn I started to look around. Then I put in Cypress Hills till I got drawn, knowing nothing about the people or the area, when I got drawn I started to look around. Another 4 or 5 years and I will get drawn around here and then I will start looking around for where the Elk are in this area. I sure wouldn't call it country club style, more like where's there an opportunity to hunt.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:01 PM
bubbasno1

Vindalbakken,

That is the point I was trying to make. I guess I did a poor job of it. Once you know you are going to be drawn you go out scout, talk to landowners, seek permission and everything else that goes along with the hunt.

209X50 implied that the only reason it was a successful hunt was because of the RAMP program. This is the country club hunting I referred to.

Bubba
Old 09-17-2009, 06:11 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I'm sure he heard how easy it was to get permission down there and wasn't concerned.
I would love to see the list of landowners that are participating in the 300 zone. Hopefully I will have this soon but as far as I can find out this is not public information yet. So I am very curious how this person found the landowners. I am also curious to see how much extra land, as was promised by our esteemed minister , this has opened up or if it is just the same people that have allowed access for years.

Bubba
Old 09-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Bighorn madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasno1 View Post
Vindalbakken,

209X50 implied that the only reason it was a successful hunt was because of the RAMP program. This is the country club hunting I referred to.

Bubba
i dont think it was implied that way at all 209x50 was just talking about a hunt but because of "where the hunt took place"some just choose to feed off of it in a negative way .I for one wont pass judgment on this untill i know for a fact RAMP in place .Where is the proof
Old 09-17-2009, 06:21 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn madness View Post
i dont think it was implied that way at all 209x50 was just talking about a hunt but because of "where the hunt took place"some just choose to feed off of it in a negative way .I for one wont pass judgment on this untill i know for a fact RAMP in place .Where is the proof
You are right my mistake it was not implied it was actually stated.

Quote:
and then he stated

Quote:
So no feeding in a negative way just responding to what was stated.

RAMP is happening it is just following the typical government time schedule.

Bubba

Last edited by bubbasno1; 09-17-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:30 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasno1 View Post
I would love to see the list of landowners that are participating in the 300 zone. Hopefully I will have this soon but as far as I can find out this is not public information yet. So I am very curious how this person found the landowners. I am also curious to see how much extra land, as was promised by our esteemed minister , this has opened up or if it is just the same people that have allowed access for years.

Bubba
I'm sure there is some of both.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:10 PM

The ranch he shot his elk on wasn't accessable to hunters when I lived in PC. I was amazed when he told me hunted on it. So I guess as far as providing more access is concerned RAMP worked for him. He sure killed a beautiful bull.