Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2011, 08:35 PM

Default only in canada can you have a school christmas play and not be allowed to say merry christmas

hello just sat threw 2 hours of watching kindergardens to grade 4 do there school plays, not one kid said merry christmas, i thought this was odd so i inquired about it and was told that this was a multiculteral event and the kids were instructed not to say merry christmas, didn't want offend anyone, what a joke, at least at the end of the night there principle grew some balls and wish everyone a merry christmas, this same school a couple years back went say hollowen, if you could beleive this it was called balck and orange day. i can remember being a kid and getting a good smack in the head if i didn't wish someone a merry christmas. when did we lose traditions in this country.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Banned

how many more threads can we have about the exact same thing?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:39 PM

Merry Christmas!!!

Last edited by Goater; 12-21-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:50 PM

Default That is life today

That is life today......so......

Have a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year..
Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 PM

Sad....not sure where the train came off the tracks in this country..but we are going down hill quickly.Merry Christmas !
Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

Merry Christmas, don't let it get you down, just say "Merry Christmas" to everyone at such events and tell your kids to do the same, teacher tells them otherwise your kid can say "daddy told me if you have a problem to talk to him"! This stuff is an uphill battle, you can't change the minds of others so just stick to your beliefs and don't let anyone elses drag you down. Merry Christmas!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:01 PM

For a few years now in England your not supposed to say merry xmas anymore, its happy winter festival. Unfortunatley it looks like this kinda b/sh#ts reached here too,its a slippery slope people.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:02 PM

Ps...merry xmas everyone.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
how many more threads can we have about the exact same thing?
as many as we need to get some sanity back in this country....
Old 12-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxHL3...eature=related
Old 12-21-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERSPLAT View Post
For a few years now in England your not supposed to say merry xmas anymore, its happy winter festival. Unfortunatley it looks like this kinda b/sh#ts reached here too,its a slippery slope people.
I say Merry Christmas and don't give a dam about who says it's wrong because it's not!
Cat
Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 PM

I just returned from a school Christmas concert at a local public junior Highschool. They played traditional Christmas music, and wished everyone a Merry Christmas.

It's left me wondering how prevalent this "anti-Christmas" thing really is. My youngest boy's daycare (where his pasty little white face is a distinct minority) is also actively celebrating Christmas.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:14 PM

Pathetic
Old 12-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I just returned from a school Christmas concert at a local public junior Highschool. They played traditional Christmas music, and wished everyone a Merry Christmas.

It's left me wondering how prevalent this "anti-Christmas" thing really is. My youngest boy's daycare (where his pasty little white face is a distinct minority) is also actively celebrating Christmas.
I agree...

I think the no merry christmas approach is so odd that it gets more attention than it should..

My kids daycare are making stockings, saying merry Christmas, etc etc...

Even a nativity scene....

Additionally, if these schools are going ahead with no merry Christmas, they must have support for it.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Went to my Grandsons concert last night ..and same thing....from Grade 1 thru`grade 7....wonder where this is all coming from...mind you , we live square in the center of ,,,you know,,,but I like it
Old 12-21-2011, 09:38 PM

Oh! And as an aside, the music teacher played the national anthem on the piano, while one of the boys sang it.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 PM

Angry A Comment From A Christian

These threads are just a whole lot o' *&^%$#@ Bull Sh*t !!!

I've got a lot of non-Christian friends, from several walks of life, and NONE of them have any problem with "Merry Christmas". Truth be known, most of them go out of their way to wish 'me' Merry Christmas.

What we have here, is a very small minority of Christians who are 'fabricating' this problem. If you ask me, they need a major attitude adjustment!

TF
Old 12-22-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post

I've got a lot of non-Christian friends, from several walks of life, and NONE of them have any problem with "Merry Christmas". Truth be known, most of them go out of their way to wish 'me' Merry Christmas.

What we have here, is a very small minority of Christians who are 'fabricating' this problem. If you ask me, they need a major attitude adjustment!

TF
i have 2 hours of video and my 9 year old daughter to verifly, if you like i will pm you my address you and your family can come over for some christmas cheer and see for yourself, but please don't call me a liar not until you have at least meant me.lol
Old 12-22-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:

It isn't, I've yet to experience any form of negative reaction or banning of the term Merry Christmas except from my own mouth.

Happy Bah Humbug to all ;p
Old 12-22-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
I agree...

I think the no merry christmas approach is so odd that it gets more attention than it should..

My kids daycare are making stockings, saying merry Christmas, etc etc...

Even a nativity scene....

Additionally, if these schools are going ahead with no merry Christmas, they must have support for it.
Support is one way of looking at it.

I am a teacher and I know how these things work. A small percentage of vocal parents usaully get their way, especially on an issue like this. A Christmas concert is not something anyone wants to go to war over. Schools deal with a lot of wierd crap, some parents have wonky ideas and want them to apply to the entire class, not just their child. Many parents think they should always get their way too.

When you say no to these types, it doesn't end there. Then they go to parent council and to the trustee. Then you have a lot of people involved, in a not so important issue in the big picture.

To a lot of parents, the Christmas concert is a big deal and love to watch the little ones. To a teacher, it is a long way from the most important thing in your day. Teaching and dealing with the kids in Dec is far more important and there are a lot of things that need to be done with the kids before the break.

Schools have to pick their battles.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
as many as we need to get some sanity back in this country....
you think making threads on an alberta outdoormen forum is going to make a difference?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
you think making threads on an alberta outdoormen forum is going to make a difference?
Important people are listening,
Old 12-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post

TF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EAMUh42a5c

apparently alot of people here watch fox news
Old 12-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Important people are listening,
it's a faux war, nowhere did I go this season that I haven't seen merry christmas, infact the hindu at my local store has prominant merry christmas signs, and a christmas tree up.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:16 AM

Heading out to my kid's Christmas Concert this afternoon - public school Grades K to 4, in Calgary, and it is called a 'Christmas Concert' because it is one; they are singing traditional songs, etc as my kids have been practicing them around the house for the past couple of weeks.
It is not all bad news out there...
Old 12-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Banned

The problem I see is not the majority, but the small minority of places that ban such traditional activities. All with good intentions. But my question is who are they protecting? The .01% who would complain about anything just to get their way? Perhaps if more of these people in authority had more backbone, then we would not need to discuss things here.

My kid's previous school was one of those kinds that wanted to give in to the .01% . They did not celebrate the traditional holidays at the school. They also did not celebrate Remembrance Day. My children don't go there anymore. This year I watched my child sing 3 Christmas songs at their concert.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Maybe the turds that started the whole "No Merry Christmas" movement last year, or whenever it started, got so beat up by the very vocal forum - Alberta Outdoorsmen - that they had to turtle and pull their horns back in, there were so many threads that spoke against the move. And now "Merry Christmas" is back in vogue.

Just sayin!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Since this whole "happy winter festival" BS I've made a point to say merry christmas more often. It's only when people start buying into this crap and following along like sheep that these sort of things become status quo. Look how it worked for the occupy folk...

MERRY CHRISTMAS AOF!!!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:08 PM

Default merry christmas

i am so glad that my children attend a school, k-8, that has a traditional christmas program, we can read verses out of the bible, do christian based plays, and sing christmas songs. our school is becoming a rarity, but there are several people that are becoming jealous of our school, because our school is producing what used to be called "good kids", not the pants around the knees, rapper type, non-parent respecting kids that the city has. we are truly blessed, and not stupid enough to take what we have for granted. i used to work for a company that had a "festive season" party, but now i work for a company that serves us a christmas dinner before they give us christmas holidays. my life is still good! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:30 PM

If you dont like our CANADIAN WAYS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EXIT CANADA THE SAME WAY YOU ENTERED IT ....PLEASE AND THANK YOU,THAT'S ALL !!!!