Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2009, 10:39 AM

Hooked a beaver yesterday. Silly thing was swimming right where I wanted to fish... Caught a muskrat last year too. Also caught 2 or 3 cheap broken rods in the Athabaska last year.

Weriest thing I've ever seen though was a little 6" Whitefish that took my 4" spoon. Haven't figured that one out still till the day. Must have just snagged it at random.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:33 PM

this weekend i caught a tooth. got a massive hit bent my rod in half. then nothing. and when i pulled the line in there was a big tooth of a pike or walleye spear on the end. those are damn sharp hooks.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Banned

i caught my cousins dog. My first time fishing in my life with my cousin. I threw my like back and when i was just about to cast out i get stuck on something so i tugged harder and then i heard a yelp i turn around and the dog had the hook in his mouth. Lol that'll teach him not to eat my worms
Old 07-07-2009, 10:28 AM

Default dead rabbit

I caught a dead rabbit in a channel in the UK. It was nasty. I had a nice spoon in it though, so I unhooked it, rather than just cutting the line.

I almost puked !
Old 07-07-2009, 11:15 AM

Caught my Dad in the chin with a fly rod a few years ago floating the Bow River… only thing I caught all day… He didn’t think it was to funny
Old 07-08-2009, 12:40 AM

I literally caught a boot in White Swan BC... just like a cartoon. Big heavy work boot made for a real fight. I made an exception to the catch and release rule...
Old 07-09-2009, 03:42 PM

Well I never caught "it" but, We were at the cabin in Sask, when I was a kid and our dog stayed at the dock all the time, waiting for a kid to come along and throw a stick. One day a lady came to are cabin and inquired if we owned a brown dog. Of course we said, well she burst into tears going on about the dog catching sticks and the kids fishing when something terrible happened. My dad being a sarcastic bugger said, what happened he get a hook in the nuts? Which the lady replied to with one word before bawling again, Yeah. SO we went down to the launch and there is the dog holding a stick wagging his tail while a large red and white daredevil dangled between his legs.

Luckily our dog was a complacent creature who feared my dad, while my dad cursed and worked the hook through, due to the barbs the dog growled once. Dad told him to shut it and he did laying back down. Luckily the the hook was new and sharp so it pierced out, with dad promptly cutting off the hook and removing it from the area. No blood came out so dad let him up.

The whole time the lady was bawling her eyes out asking if he would be okay. Once the "operation" was over the dog no worse for wear jumped up ran for the stick and went back to the lady begging for her to throw it.

I would say that was chance in a life time catch for the kid fishing and the poor lady probably lost 5 years off her life worrying about the dog.

Dog no worse for wear.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:02 PM

I did a lot of dry fly fishing in southern Alberta and B.C. when I was young, caught a couple of beavers, one white sneaker, lots of bushes, a few dragonflies, myself (more than once), but the strangest got to be using a #14 mosquito dry on the Nordegg, saw a strike and set the hook. The fly came flying out of the water, the initial conclusion was that I missed, but I did not, it was a 1 1/2 in. rainbow. The little guy striked so aggressively that I could have sworn that it was a much bigger fish. I hooked him perfectly through the cheek. When I got it unhooked, it actually swam away but I dont put much hope on it surviving. For the rest of the weekend with my fishing buddies, I OWNED the bragging right of setting the hooking on the smallest fish possible.

The other coolest thing (not necessary strange) is a Golden Trout. Probably the most beautiful fish I have ever caught. Only ever landed one but it is a beauty. I do have a "paper" picture of it somewhere, if I find it, I will post it.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:49 PM

Default The strangest thing very caught

I was out commercial fishing on the west coast of Vancouver Island in 1994 with a buddy we were off swiftsure bank at Anchor in the middle of the night and caught a SUBMARINE bet nobody can beat that one it hooked the anchor line and was dragging us in his 42 foot trooler at 21 knots per hour the boat could only run at 6.5 knots under its own power just about sank us had to run to the bow and cut the anchor line. lost about 250 feet of line and the anchor and 60 feet of chain as well as the anchor was not that funny at the time but we made the news in the Victoria Times paper. The navy told us that they had no sub's in the area and after that we heard that the soviet's were on a training excerise and may have had an incident but never came forward to take the blame!!!! BEAT THAT ONE.......
Old 07-16-2009, 12:39 PM

Default Clam @ North Wabasca

Here's a pick of a prize catch while trolling for Walleye 2 summers ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clam.jpg (60.3 KB, 482 views)
Old 07-16-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJH View Post
I did a lot of dry fly fishing in southern Alberta and B.C. when I was young, caught a couple of beavers, one white sneaker, lots of bushes, a few dragonflies, myself (more than once), but the strangest got to be using a #14 mosquito dry on the Nordegg, saw a strike and set the hook. The fly came flying out of the water, the initial conclusion was that I missed, but I did not, it was a 1 1/2 in. rainbow. The little guy striked so aggressively that I could have sworn that it was a much bigger fish. I hooked him perfectly through the cheek. When I got it unhooked, it actually swam away but I dont put much hope on it surviving. For the rest of the weekend with my fishing buddies, I OWNED the bragging right of setting the hooking on the smallest fish possible.

The other coolest thing (not necessary strange) is a Golden Trout. Probably the most beautiful fish I have ever caught. Only ever landed one but it is a beauty. I do have a "paper" picture of it somewhere, if I find it, I will post it.
Would LOVE to know where you caught that golden. I was just in the kamloops area last week and did some fishing in the mountians there... i heard a couple rumors about lakes there that had them but locals werent telling.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Went fishing last year for 4 days in BC AND CAME BACK WITH DIVORCE PAPERS, oh well, went out 3 days later for a couple of days hoping she would reconsider.

next time you go...................can i come???
Old 07-18-2009, 08:50 AM

I just started fishing this year. My first time out I went to the Dogpound. My first cast in I caught a rock
Old 07-23-2009, 10:48 PM

Default IN the Dogpound

I caught a small Pike in the dogpound creek once, suprised the hell out of me.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:45 AM

Fishing off the west coast of Vancouver island i caught a Killer Whale. Well hooked into one anyway didn't think i had much of a chance of landing it lol so had to cut the line.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 AM

Howz this for irony.......Saturday night I read this post and was just telling hubby about it, having a fairly good laugh(especially the weasel) when there was a knock at the door. Here's my niece with her dog in her arms(her dog is a large mutt with a big, tongue-lolling smile). He's been playing with a.... wait for it.....5 of diamonds(good size and barbed and a leader). He managed to catch his top lip almost right through. That was fine till he tryed to pull it out himself and caught his bottom lip on another barb(and in there but good). So there he sat lips hog-tied. I found myself wrangling a 50 lbs ultra squirmmy dog at midnight! So i guess it wasn't much of a catch as a release.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:38 PM

hey fisherman guy, I was wondering, saw that pic of your big laker, what color anchor did you catch that guy on?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-31-2009, 11:00 PM

Default A Bald Eagle

About 15 years ago trout fishing in BC there was an eagle that would dive after almost any splash. One evening sitting at the campfire we hear a scream come off the lake that says " bring me back my d**n fish. These two guys came in and told us the eagle took his fish, hook and almost all his line.

The next day we were out in the boat trolling for lakies and one of the guys gets a fish and here comes this eagle. It went after the fish but one of the other lines wasnt outta the water yet and the eagle hit the line, got all tangled up in it and hit the water. Well long story short we used a towel to cover his head and untangled it, it took all three of us and about half an hour, than set him on shore.

Didnt know a soaked eagle couldnt fly.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:49 PM

I caught a spinning rod once in the ghost river. It was brand new, line and all. It even had a panther martin spinner on it.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:13 PM

I've caught the sterotypical boot out of the NSR... and also a boquet of flowers once, also from the NSR.

I snagged someone's line once in a stocked trout lake and pulled in their old pickrel rig with TWO dead fish hooked on it - the stench was unbelievable.

My grandpa likes to tell the story when a grebe (aka helldiver) went after his lure. The bird tried to get the hook out of his mouth with his foot and got it caught too. It came into the boat in a big ball. After working on the hook for a while he finally got it loose, it bit him, crapped on him, and flew away.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:13 PM

Last year I caught and landed a giant truck tire with 4 pound test line and a light action rod on Lesser Slave lake. This year in St. Albert in the sturgeon river I caught a beaver, had to cut the line.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:49 PM

I caught a boat anchor in Buffalo Lake and a turtle in the Red Deer river below content bridge jigging for walleye
Old 10-03-2009, 11:44 PM

Years ago my brother hooked into a beaver in the Red Deer. Never could land the bugger. I had a loon one time at a fish pond out west. I had a muskrat come to warm up in my ice hut. But my best catch was a stray cat that got into the bed of my truck one night and tried eating the left over bait on an ice fishing rod. lol..
Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 PM

Shrimp fishing on Vancouver Island one day (town of Sidney) I was lowering my trap into the water from the wharf...about a 12 foot drop to the water. A fricken sealion is on the bait almost as soon as it hits the water...almost pulled me off the wharf ontop of him. Scared the bjesus out of me. I tug a warred him for a minute or so until I could pull what was left of my trap out of the water. Sometimes in the evening when we pulled our traps up we woudl catch these wierd little worm like creatures...they look like ribbon in the water...if you pulled them out of the water they would disintegrate.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:50 AM

Was fishing in June at a unnamed remote lake 2 hours north of edmonton and caught what was a big pike. Seemed to fight harder closer to the boat. Could see something orange 30 feet from the boat thrashing around and could not figure it out. Turned out to be a 9lb pike and 2 nice tip-ups. was first cast in and a great catch. Tried to bet my 2 buddies to top my catch but they didn't want to for some reason? Got 2 nice hooks out of the deal as well.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:55 PM

Default Figure Eight WhiteFish

I caught a figure eight whitefish
Old 02-04-2010, 06:56 AM

Default Birth Control

I was fishing down stream of Edmonton in the North Sask. River after a big rain. The storm sewer I was fishing by had fairly clean water coming out, so I was casting into the dirty water and reeling into the clean. The walleye fishing was unbelieveable until I felt a strange pulling on my rod. It took some time for me to get my hook in and low and behold it was the biggest dam condom I had ever seen The opening was approx. 1 foot and was close to 2 ft long. I did not keep that hook it was to deeply embeded so I practiced C&R and cut the line
Old 02-04-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acumark View Post
I was out commercial fishing on the west coast of Vancouver Island in 1994 with a buddy we were off swiftsure bank at Anchor in the middle of the night and caught a SUBMARINE bet nobody can beat that one it hooked the anchor line and was dragging us in his 42 foot trooler at 21 knots per hour the boat could only run at 6.5 knots under its own power just about sank us had to run to the bow and cut the anchor line. lost about 250 feet of line and the anchor and 60 feet of chain as well as the anchor was not that funny at the time but we made the news in the Victoria Times paper. The navy told us that they had no sub's in the area and after that we heard that the soviet's were on a training excerise and may have had an incident but never came forward to take the blame!!!! BEAT THAT ONE.......
Wow that would be one hell of a ride!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Banned

I worked on a commercial salmon troller out of Tofino for a while.One morning we had a killer whale hit a big Chinook we were bringing in,laid a 48 foot boat over on it`s side before the braided steel cable broke.
I`m glad we didn`t have to try to gaff that guy!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 AM

Double header at Rivers Inlet fishing for big Coho. Buddies was in in 5 minutes. Netted it with one hand. 15 lbs. Took 20 mins to get mine to the boat. 18-19 pounder half way in the net when 3000+ lb sea lion stole it out of the net. Not the "strangest" thing to happen. Lost them to sea lions before but not when they're in the net. Probably the angriest I have ever been losing a fish. Woulda been a personal best and won me $500. Had to blame the net man.