Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-15-2014, 09:27 PM

Default Fishing from campsite any suggestions?

Hey guys and gals. I'm looking for some suggestions please.

I would like to go camping this weekend. Somewhere in Alberta with a maximum radius of 2hrs from Calgary

I'm also wanting to fish from right from my campsite. I want to fish pike.

I've looked at Newell lake, as the kinbrook island provincial campsite is located on the lake. However I've heard the fishing isn't so great.

Does anyone know of any other campsite that are similar to kinbrook that is situated on a lake like at.

Thanks very much
Old 09-15-2014, 09:33 PM

Right from the campsite? Try burnstick lake for perch and the odd pike. The kids fishing dock produced a few this year. You can just walk there while your wife/mom cooks breakfast. Other decent lakes in the area at the right time. Good luck, 1 hour 10 mins from calgary area.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:56 PM

Ashland dam has trout in it and im pretty sure you can fish from some of the csmpsites ...theres never anyone there either
Old 09-16-2014, 08:03 AM

Could do from Mcgreggor, although havent been out there in a while so cant speak to the action. Can be slow at times, but it's a little over an hour.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:09 AM

Crawling Valley is a good spot for what you want to do. Though a boat is better, I see lots of people fishing off the docks in the marina and the campground is all around it.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_ View Post
Hey guys and gals. I'm looking for some suggestions please.

I would like to go camping this weekend. Somewhere in Alberta with a maximum radius of 2hrs from Calgary

I'm also wanting to fish from right from my campsite. I want to fish pike.

I've looked at Newell lake, as the kinbrook island provincial campsite is located on the lake. However I've heard the fishing isn't so great.

Does anyone know of any other campsite that are similar to kinbrook that is situated on a lake like at.

Thanks very much
I'd go with Crawling Valley. I catch about an average of 6 fish per evening from shore about a hundred yards from the campsite. PM me for more info. Pike are a little rare, but you'll catch a mess of walleye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
Right from the campsite? Try burnstick lake for perch and the odd pike. The kids fishing dock produced a few this year. You can just walk there while your wife/mom cooks breakfast. Other decent lakes in the area at the right time. Good luck, 1 hour 10 mins from calgary area.
How's the perch fishing? I've been dying to do some Alberta perch fishing and was disappointed at how badly the perch dropped off in Pine Lake.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:36 PM

dump in some shrimp and/or worms or leeches under a float and you got fish. Very tiny though, don't recommend eatin' them. Where's your location jhutter?

Tags
calgary, camping, fishfromcamp, pike