Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2015, 01:22 AM

Wow nice fish Rav! Didn't know Steelhead was on the list Good Rainbow!
Old 05-19-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Dumi View Post
Wow nice fish Rav! Didn't know Steelhead was on the list Good Rainbow!
Yeah, I thought this was just Alberta, not BC? ;-)
Old 05-19-2015, 05:49 PM

Lol
Old 05-22-2015, 08:48 AM

That 19" Goldeye I caught last night was sweet! It jumped and pulled line, and for a second I thought it was a mini-sturgeon. I pulled it out of the water (despite its attempts to get loose near shore) and was astonished...it was a full pound bigger than the usual ones I catch! (was 2 lbs 8 oz). I've already caught quite a few personal bests this year (even though I only have 1 other year to compare...lol) so I'm happy...2015 is a good year!

OG - by the way, you say you might be gone for longer than a month now? When are you back? This might be our first and final derby we participate...and I don't want you to say it was unfair if we all beat you...lol...good thing before you left you posted up a storm!

Last edited by FreshAirGetter; 05-22-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirGetter View Post
That 19" Goldeye I caught last night was sweet! It jumped and pulled line, and for a second I thought it was a mini-sturgeon. I pulled it out of the water (despite its attempts to get loose near shore) and was astonished...it was a full pound bigger than the usual ones I catch! (was 2 lbs 8 oz). I've already caught quite a few personal bests this year (even though I only have 1 other year to compare...lol) so I'm happy...2015 is a good year!

OG - by the way, you say you might be gone for longer than a month now? When are you back? This might be our first and final derby we participate...and I don't want you to say it was unfair if we all beat you...lol...good thing before you left you posted up a storm!
Yeah might be awhile for sure now not sure how long. Well even if I miss out we are defiantly doing hard water this season and that I know I will school you at maybe... Most likely not though ...
Old 05-23-2015, 10:34 PM

Well boys, it's been fun and competitive but for some reason most of my friends and family hate me now because of the derby, so I gotta drop out...I won't be posting anymore. Good luck to all contestants, hopefully somebody sticks it out and keeps Rav on his toes :-)
Old 05-23-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Well boys, it's been fun and competitive but for some reason most of my friends and family hate me now because of the derby, so I gotta drop out...I won't be posting anymore. Good luck to all contestants, hopefully somebody sticks it out and keeps Rav on his toes :-)
Keep atter your doing good! You still coming fishing tomorrow?
Old 05-24-2015, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Yeah keep going that's silly pal..
Old 05-24-2015, 06:39 AM
Banned

Weldon Rav.. Good luck to the competitors
Old 05-26-2015, 10:53 AM

Default Please remove all posts of mine from derby - thanks

I will be leaving open water derby effective right now - thanks for all your time and effort RAV. Good luck to all involved ... almost.

FreshAirGetter - don't make people think that your being hard done by - the choice is yours and no one else can make it except you. You have our numbers !

Last edited by viggopartaco; 05-26-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:48 AM

Yeah, I change my mind...back in the derby! My mind was focused on the remaining species, and without the derby I'm lost and have no enthusiasm...so back in I go. Sucks I caught a Brookie last weekend and can't count it, but there's still time. So Rav, get back into your high competition mode and keep catching your lunkers...if anything, at least you might be pushed into more personal bests :-)

It was kind of nice not lugging around the barrier and token...oh well, what can I do but dig it out of the garbage and keep everyone on their toes
Old 05-29-2015, 10:01 AM

Geez SKsniper, your rocky is so fat!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Geez SKsniper, your rocky is so fat!
Second best fight of the year! Not going to lie, I thought I had a baby sturgeon the way that thing was pulling. Never imagined a 17" fish could pull drag on my river reel!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSniper View Post
Second best fight of the year! Not going to lie, I thought I had a baby sturgeon the way that thing was pulling. Never imagined a 17" fish could pull drag on my river reel!
Haha that's hilarious...I felt that way with my burbot and maybe even goldeye too. It's funny when you fish the river, you always have Sturgeon on your mind.

I bet when you saw it you probably thought "Is that really a rocky? That big?" I've been surprised like that a couple times this year (with my rocky and goldeye)...so all in all a good 2015 already :-)
Old 05-29-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Haha that's hilarious...I felt that way with my burbot and maybe even goldeye too. It's funny when you fish the river, you always have Sturgeon on your mind.
I bet when you saw it you probably thought "Is that really a rocky? That big?" I've been surprised like that a couple times this year (with my rocky and goldeye)...so all in all a good 2015 already :-)
And every fish that jumps "was a sturgeon.....I'm pretty sure"

I thought it was a sucker when I first saw the girth and the bottom feeder type mouth. My jaw dropped a few inches when I realized what it really was!
Old 05-29-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
And every fish that jumps "was a sturgeon.....I'm pretty sure"

I thought it was a sucker when I first saw the girth and the bottom feeder type mouth. My jaw dropped a few inches when I realized what it really was!

Haha I know the feeling!

Not sure how to get some of my remaining species. I've caught some of them in the winter but not summer. Also weird that I haven't caught a Mooneye yet...last year I caught more Mooneye than Goldeye...this year I haven't even seen a Mooneye. Maybe your fat rocky ate them all?
Old 05-29-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Haha I know the feeling!

Not sure how to get some of my remaining species. I've caught some of them in the winter but not summer. Also weird that I haven't caught a Mooneye yet...last year I caught more Mooneye than Goldeye...this year I haven't even seen a Mooneye. Maybe your fat rocky ate them all?
All I need is a Mooneye and Sauger then I've got them all! Never had my token with me when I got a 32" pike, and my walleye have all been too small to bother using in the contest. The Burbot I caught before the derby was open. The Burbs don't seem very abundant in the NSR, unless they only feed at night
Old 05-29-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
All I need is a Mooneye and Sauger then I've got them all! Never had my token with me when I got a 32" pike, and my walleye have all been too small to bother using in the contest. The Burbot I caught before the derby was open. The Burbs don't seem very abundant in the NSR, unless they only feed at night
lol you sound like me..I actually want to catch all the species, but I just catch them from Jan 1 - Dec 31st. Now with the derby I have to re-catch a bunch. Yeah I've only caught 2 burbot in the NSR, both this year though. I thought my 4 lbs walleye was nice but apparently it's one of the smallest compared to everyone else. Haven't went for pike yet (only ones I caught were jigging for walleye one day)...maybe I'll go to Wab soon. I'll have to go find a perch too. I don't have a clue where to get Cutties this time of year, and not much of a better idea after June or July either...lol. This derby is great for learning each species and travelling Alberta, that's for sure!
Old 06-05-2015, 12:03 PM

So Ravyak question for you, what does it count as if one of us catch a cutbow? lol I vote it counts as a cutthroat
Old 06-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky7 View Post
So Ravyak question for you, what does it count as if one of us catch a cutbow? lol I vote it counts as a cutthroat
I think we should just say if it has a slash it's a cutt, and if it doesn't it's a bow...what do you say oh great wise judge? ;-)
Old 06-08-2015, 12:02 PM

Ricky, send me a pic.

Oh and gps coordinates where it was caught so I can make sure there are cutties in there .
Old 06-08-2015, 02:24 PM

Haven't caught one yet just speaking hypothetically lol thought it was a valid question. I do know where I'm going for one though! My bro showed me a place he got one.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Haven't caught one yet just speaking hypothetically lol thought it was a valid question. I do know where I'm going for one though! My bro showed me a place he got one.
Am I your bro? If so, am I coming too? Hopefully if it's my bro he's not trading our family secrets without me...lol
Old 06-08-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Am I your bro? If so, am I coming too? Hopefully if it's my bro he's not trading our family secrets without me...lol
Hahaha no its my blood bro the one I can thank for getting me hooked into fishing. You ever caught one before?
Old 06-08-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Hahaha no its my blood bro the one I can thank for getting me hooked into fishing. You ever caught one before?
Oh don't worry about me :-)

Still up for debate, but yeah, I think so...I think you saw the pic at one point? Or maybe my brother just told you about it...wasn't that long, but was fat! Didn't measure it so I could get it back in the water...but wish I did!
Old 06-08-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Oh don't worry about me :-)

Still up for debate, but yeah, I think so...I think you saw the pic at one point? Or maybe my brother just told you about it...wasn't that long, but was fat! Didn't measure it so I could get it back in the water...but wish I did!
Post a pic up here☺
Old 06-09-2015, 08:56 PM

My 12 inch rocky must have snuck in there as you were doing the update, I'm at 159 lol woot woot!
Old 06-10-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
My 12 inch rocky must have snuck in there as you were doing the update, I'm at 159 lol woot woot!
159.25 according to my calculations ;-) But I screwed up on my own spreadsheet, I thought Hacman caught a rocky, not a lake white...guess I'd make a bad derby judge...lol.

Oh and Ricky it's in my signature (the pics)...there's a short fat "cutty", or at least has a slash on it (I had previously called it a cutbow and don't know the difference). It's the short fat fish with a big mouth...

Sounds like you're getting Chris hooked onto stream fishing...next time you're out with him see if you can get his secret to getting Walleye at Battle for me :-)
Old 06-10-2015, 09:21 AM

Here Ricky...I'll make it easier for you :-)

Old 06-10-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
159.25 according to my calculations ;-) But I screwed up on my own spreadsheet, I thought Hacman caught a rocky, not a lake white...guess I'd make a bad derby judge...lol.

Oh and Ricky it's in my signature (the pics)...there's a short fat "cutty", or at least has a slash on it (I had previously called it a cutbow and don't know the difference). It's the short fat fish with a big mouth...

Sounds like you're getting Chris hooked onto stream fishing...next time you're out with him see if you can get his secret to getting Walleye at Battle for me :-)
I'm gonna guess that is just a cutty, and yeah it was a good time I think I got him hooked on the streams lol he almost had his first brown too but they were picky.