Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 09:19 PM

Default dirt hole sets in deep snow

I'm trying something different this year.

We have a ton of snow up here so coyotes are sticking to snowmobile tracks.

I drive downthe snowmobile trail until I find a spot that doesn't get a lot of drifting snow. Than I climb into my toboggan and bed the trap under some snow near the edge of the sled track.

Then I dig out a hole infront of the trap in the deep snow along the nice steep edge of the snowmobile track. I throw a peice of beaver down in the hole and don't cover the hole.

Hopefully I am explaining myself well. It's basically a dirt hole set, but the dirt hole is in the snow the is right beside the sled track.

I am having OK luck doing this, but I notice some coyotes trot right past the bait. They aren't getting cautious because their gate doesn't change. Foot tracks show they don't slow down, speed up and change direction when they walk past my trap.

Ideas to make them stop and find the bait? I am using beaver meat.

I tried putting a bit of skunk oil on a blade of grass poking out right beside or behind the hoel with the bait. Didn't help.

I was thinking of doing this type of set close to the bush edge (on a farm field) and wiring a wing to a over hanging tree branch under the trap/bait hole.

anyone try this?

A couple years ago I tried a couple of hay sets. Basically you take a arm full of hay, drop it in the sled track and put some fox urine on the hay and set 2 leg holes on either end of the pile of hay. A fellow told me this works wonders for coyotes in farm areas. I found the coyotes to be very cautions approaching the hay and go around. I am going to try this again, but instead of skunk oil, I might put some beaver meat under the hay.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:02 PM

Default Hay Sets

Sounds like what you're doing should work but the wind must not be in your favor if the coyotes aren't checking them out.

I'm trying some hay sets at a group of old hay bales that are falling apart and the mice and animals are digging into....I'll try to take a pic when I'm there tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:05 PM

Try a half burnt small log sticking out of the snow off the edge of the sled track.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:12 AM

as posted above they missed it. try this Lure called HELLFIRE by Dunlap.

Dunlap's Hellfire Long Call Smear Lure
Dunlap's Hellfire Long Call Smear Lure is a very loud call lure that contains lots of 100% uncut skunk essence. This lure has a thick and sticky smear type base that allows it to stay put and to hold up wherever you smear it.

Hellfire is freeze proof and flat out pulls predators to your sets. It is loud. LOUD!

At any fur post company. it a Monster call lure in super cold weather
Old 01-16-2019, 08:57 AM

Guys, coyote,wolf or dog can catch scent of good chunk of beaver. I throw moose bones that my springers have chewed for couple days, no meat on them way into bush. I have seen my dogs walk over them with foot or more snow a few weeks later, they dive right down and pick them up.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys, coyote,wolf or dog can catch scent of good chunk of beaver. I throw moose bones that my springers have chewed for couple days, no meat on them way into bush. I have seen my dogs walk over them with foot or more snow a few weeks later, they dive right down and pick them up.
That's my understand and exerpeicne as well. Can't figure out why the coyote seemed to just walk past the beaver meat without its gate changing at all.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:59 AM

A few years back had trailed wounded moose in 2 feet of snow about 5 miles before finished it off. We could not get it out and brought snowmobile few days later. Snowed another foot and wind could hardly see trail. A wolf came at right angle to trail smelled only odd drop of blood under snow and started tracking, lucky went wrong way. I was impressed with their sense of smell capability.