Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
Tried this with Deer backstrap steaks, and Elk tenderloins, sublime either way

Ingredients
between 1-1.5 lbs of Meat (Elk tenderloin/Deer Backstrap Steaks)
1-2 tablespoons of fresh Rosemary (if using dried up the qty)
1/3 cup Any port that you like, though the reds are better then the Tawny
1/3 cup of water
1/4 cup of cream (18% or heavier)
1-2 teaspoons of Olive oil depending on the size of your Skillet
1/4-1/2 lb of Mushrooms (any kind you like will work...for best results use Black Morels)

Cut back-strap or tenderloins into 2" thick steaks, and place on a plate (usually 4) Salt pepper both sides however to your tastes, just don't use too much strong spicing as it will detract from the Rosemary allow to rest on the plate while you test the pallet of the port, and cut up and prep everything else...

Put oil in skillet, heat oil to a med/high temp
Once heated, put meat in the skillet spice side down, and cook covered for 2.5 min. Flip meat to other spiced side and cook covered for 3.5 min. Flip meat one last time to original spiced side for 1 min. Take meat off, put on a heavy plate that hold the heat well, cover with tinfoil and set aside.

reduce heat to med low, add rosemary to the drippings in the pan and just to verify at this point double check the quality of the port on your taste buds.....once rosemary has soaked somewhat in the drippings/oil add mushrooms and cook until soft stirring occasionally.

Add Water and well sampled port (1/3 cup of each) to pan and continue to stir while it reduces to about 1/2.

This is a good time to finish off your fixins (salad etc) and to plate your meat

Once reduced, add creme and bring to a light boil. Imediatly upon hitting a light boil, spoon mushrooms and sauce over the plated meat and serve.

I have tried this with onions added at the same time as the mushrooms etc, but have found it really changes the quality of the finished product

This may sound like it takes alot of time but it is really quick once the meat hits the pan start to finish, so much so that I like to have all the sides ready before I start the meat in the pan.

Hope you enjoy
Can not wait to try this, this fall
Old 10-28-2020, 07:09 AM

Default Venison Pastrami

2-4 pound venison roast (a single muscle, like top round, is best)
Ground black pepper

Brine:
2 quarts water
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon pink curing salt #1
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
2 teaspoons peppercorns
1 teaspoon allspice berries
1 teaspoon crushed red chillies
2 cinnamon sticks
2 bay leaves
4 cups of ice cubes

Boil the water in a large pot. Add the brown sugar, kosher salt, curing salt, mustard seeds, peppercorns, coriander, allspice, crushed chili, cinnamon sticks, and bay leaves. Boil and stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Remove the pot from the heat source. Add the ice to the brine mix, and stir it until the ice is melted.

Submerge venison roast in the brine for 6 days, turning each day.

Remove the roast after 6 days, pat dry with paper towel and coat the outside of the roast with ground black pepper (approximately 1 tablespoon).

Put the roast in a 200 degree smoker with your favourite wood for approximately 5 hours or just until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.

Wrap the roast tightly in butcher paper (or aluminum foil) and return to the smoker until the internal temperature reaches 180 degrees.

Remove and leave it wrapped to rest for at least 30 minutes.

Slice thinly against the grain and serve on your favourite bread or crackers, with mustard, sauerkraut, or whatever condiments you like.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:39 AM

Just made this recipe with 8 day old tenderloin from my first ever deer, it was amazing

https://addapinch.com/venison-tender...justapinch.com

Ingredients
1 pound Venison tenderloin
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper optional
mushroom cream sauce (https://addapinch.com/mushroom-cream-sauce-recipe/)

Instructions
Pat venison dry with paper towels. Place tenderloin onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with paper towels. Sprinkle salt onto both sides of the tenderloin and cover with additional paper towels. Refrigerate for four hours to overnight.
Remove from the refrigerator and allow to rest an hour before cooking. Add fresh black pepper, if desired.
Preheat grill, smoker, or oven to 400º F while the venison is resting. Roast tenderloin until it reaches an internal temperature of 140º F.

Remove and place on a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes. Cut into tenderloin medallions and serve with mushroom cream sauce, if desired.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Just made this recipe with 8 day old tenderloin from my first ever deer, it was amazing

https://addapinch.com/venison-tender...justapinch.com

Ingredients
1 pound Venison tenderloin
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper optional
mushroom cream sauce (https://addapinch.com/mushroom-cream-sauce-recipe/)

Instructions
Pat venison dry with paper towels. Place tenderloin onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with paper towels. Sprinkle salt onto both sides of the tenderloin and cover with additional paper towels. Refrigerate for four hours to overnight.
Remove from the refrigerator and allow to rest an hour before cooking. Add fresh black pepper, if desired.
Preheat grill, smoker, or oven to 400º F while the venison is resting. Roast tenderloin until it reaches an internal temperature of 140º F.

Remove and place on a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes. Cut into tenderloin medallions and serve with mushroom cream sauce, if desired.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I used to make Corned Moose over the last 25 years, but do not get out hunting anymore.
Figured I would honor the tradition by making a Reuben Sausage over the next week- Recipe to follow-just as soon as I develop one.
So have you figured out this Ruben Sausage? It sounds interesting

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-30-2021, 12:08 PM
Banned

Default Acient Roman/Italian Mule Deer Meatloaf

Made this Ancient Italian meatloaf earlier this week out of Ground Mule Deer Backstrap and Sweet Italian Mule Deer Sausage, really good, making sandwiches with the rest of it for my Trout fishing tomorrow morning. Recipe Below Pictures, enjoy!

Acient Italian Meatloaf

Sauce:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if you want a spicy sauce)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
Meatloaf:
35 squares saltines
¾ cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1 pound ground Mule Deer
1 pound sweet Italian/Hot Italian Mule Deer Sausage
2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
3 tablespoons fresh basil (julienned or chopped just before serving)

Preparation
Special equipment: Broiler safe 13 by 9-inch baking dish
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 400 degrees.
Sauce: Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook until softened but not browned, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper flakes, oregano and salt. Increase heat to medium and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover to keep warm.

Meatloaf: Spray broiler-safe 13 by a 9-inch baking dish with vegetable oil spray. Place saltines in a large zipper-lock bag, seal bag and using a rolling pin crush crackers to fine crumbs. In a large bowl, whisk saltines with milk and eggs. Let sit until the saltines are softened, about 5 minutes. Whisk saltine mixture until a smooth paste forms. Mix in ground Mule Deer, sausage, Parmesan, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes with your hands (I use disposable gloves) until thoroughly combined. Transfer beef mixture to prepared dish. Using wet hands (or disposable gloves) shape into a 9 by 5-inch rectangle. The top should be flat and the meatloaf should be 1½-inches thick. Pour sauce over the meatloaf. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and place on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the meatloaf registers 160 degrees, about 1 hour 5 minutes to 1¼ hours.

Remove sheet pam from oven, uncover dish, and sprinkle cheese evenly over the top of the meatloaf. Heat broiler. Broil meatloaf until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Let rest for 15 minutes.

To serve, transfer the meatloaf using 2 spatulas to a cutting board to make 1-inch thick slices. Or, slice directly in the baking dish. Spoon off any excess oil from the tomato sauce. Scatter julienned or chopped basil over the top and into the sauce just before serving.

Last edited by North40Rules; 10-30-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:47 PM

Default Elk Enchiladas and Chinese Tomato Elk recipes

Thought I would post these two recipes. Both are great.

1) Ground Elk or deer Enchilada

2) Chinese Tomato Elk (last two pics)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1338 (4).jpg (65.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1338 (3).jpg (20.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1339 (2).jpg (58.9 KB, 36 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-12-2022, 03:32 PM

Default Jack rabbit recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Looking for jackrabbit recipes other than stews pls.

I like quarter the rabbit up and throw it in a slow cooker with BBQ sauce on low 4-6hrs. It’s super tasty
Old 10-14-2022, 02:39 PM

There are some awesome recipes here.

Wondering if anyone has any suggests regarding sliced vs. extruded jerky. Also if you have any recipes. I’ve been using the MeatEater recipe the last couple years and it’s great, but want to change it up.

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2023, 05:55 PM

Default Mongolian beaver cubes

Remove all fat from 3lbs of beaver meat.

Cut into 1"cubes.

Put it in a large frying pan with 4 tablespoons of oil or Tenderflake lard

Brown for 5 minutes. Turn down heat to low.

Pour in a bottle of Mongolian bbq sauce.

Let it sit covered for 10 minutes. Eat

Simple but good
Old 10-30-2023, 03:22 PM

Default Honey garlic moose cubes InstaPot style

2lb moose roast
2 cups of brown rice
2 tbsp kosher salt
4 cups water

Pour it all into an InstaPot. Put the water and salt in too

Press "meat" and it will cook for 1hr

Take meat out and cut it into cubes. Put it in a large frying pan with 1/4 cup butter and 1 cup honey and some crushed garlic Simmer it for 15 min. Stir it as you like.

Take the rice out of the InstaPot and put it in a bowl. Pour in some soy sauce.

There you go!
Old 11-08-2023, 08:54 AM

Default Grouse

I find if you have 1-2 breast just just slice up thin and pan fry with butter and garlic

But if you have a lot if breasts just cut it up and throw them in some butter chicken sauce. Some rice on the side and your ready to eat
Old 11-09-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliian View Post
I ate roast coyote at a Devon fish and game dinner . Tasted better than I thought it wood. Had roast cougar at a Edmonton Fish and Game club dinner. Tasted great. .
Thats were i tried it also at Devon Fish and game . I lived across the street from the new hall . It tasted like deer meat to me . only had one cube along with some porcupine on a rib bone
Old 11-14-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronk View Post
Backstrap McTasty Bites:

You will need:

Soy sauce,
A deer,
Bacon,
Toothpicks,
A knife,
Time.

-Cut the deer backstraps into slices about 1'' thick.

-Wrap 'em in bacon, but only one wrap.

-Pin ends of the pig gold with a toothpick.

-Stabby, stabby. Stab them bites.

-Soak them bad boys in the soysauce overnight, or the better part of the day, or for a couple hours, or for a little while... It really doesn't matter... just soak them lumps up.

-BBQ the pig/deer lovechilds at about 200 until the bacon is crispy.

-Eat them (You may feel a slight twitch in your pants)

I made these the other day . Also included some mushrooms between the long wooden sticks .Just unreal . Seems like the meat just pulls in the bacon fat into the meat . Trick is not to over BBQ maybe around 155 F max on the inside
Old 11-26-2023, 09:15 AM

Default Wild game stew .

My recipe for stew is just throw about 1 lb of stew meat that was browned with flour in a frying pan by its self in a slow cooker on low for about 8-9 hrs . With some water with bouillon and about 7 shakes of worcestershire . After 9 hrs I throw in my potatoes that i cut into diced size cubes that I boiled on the side for 20 mins and also add a few cups of mixed vegetables that I pre cook also. If you ask why you add this stuff later is because the starch in the potatoes kinda of gives the meat and gravy a funny texture and taste .
I then top the pot up with one pack of club house stew gravy and one pack of beef gravy . This you also have to make on the side via microwave as the heat from the slow cooker is not hot enough to get it really thick.
So after a total of 10 hrs or more in the pot its ready to serve with some nice wine .

Last edited by -JR-; 11-26-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:23 PM

Default BBQ Spice

Does anyone have a good BBQ spice that they use . I am not really into BBQ sauce anymore