Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-20-2022, 12:43 PM

Spreader Pole Storage

Another non-negotiable for me is Clam's Spreader Pole Storage System. Eskimo also makes a similar product, but I couldn't find it anywhere so I just went with the Clam product again. This setup holds the poles neatly against the inside of the tub so they aren't rolling around the tub waiting to get bent or lost. Be careful mounting the velcro center strap or you will have problems securing the poles later.

Old 11-20-2022, 12:57 PM

Tow Hitch

I have so many Otter tow hitches leaning up against the wall in my shop that it just didn't make sense to go out and buy a new Eskimo hitch for the Eskape. So instead I bought Otter's Universal Tow Hitch Adapter so I could use what I already had. Mounting it was easy, and the width is perfect for the velcro opening on the Eskape's apron.

Old 11-20-2022, 01:03 PM

Rear Hitch

I wanted to have a rear hitch on the Eskape in case I want to tow a small Otter behind it with the sled/Ranger when overnighting. I ordered Otter's Universal Rear Sled Hitch, but it was really heavy and bulky and didn't fit on the Eskimo sled very well.

So instead I just pulled an eyebolt and fender washers off one of my Otter sleds and installed it on the Eskape after cutting it down. I'm sure it will handle the weight of a small sled fine.

Old 11-20-2022, 01:04 PM

I think that's it...finally. I'll provided some feedback later in the season how everything is holding up and anything I would change. I hope this gives others some ideas. Cheers.
Old 11-20-2022, 03:25 PM

Redonkulous!!
That is awesome. I'm just not that industrious. I should be though. You inspire me

Cheers! And have great season.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the informative post it will sure make our Decision easier
Old 11-21-2022, 02:06 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

It will be interesting to see your modified fishing outfit on the ice.
10 bucks says after the first few outings you will still be fine tuning it.
Keep us updated as this is a great thread to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-23-2023, 12:19 PM

Loved this thread. So informative on mods. Plan to do some of the same. How did you enjoy your Eskimo flip over the last season? I am still undecided myself on which to grab. Most likely will be between the Otter or Eskimo due to door placement. Haven't seen the Clam in person but it looks like the side doors are towards the front, and that is where the holes, heater and livescope will be.

The Eskimo also will fit under my tonneau cover (2600). The others have a greater packed away height. I haven't actually gone to see any in person or used a flip over before, can the seats or something be removed to mitigate this?
Old 11-24-2023, 07:03 AM

To be honest, I only used the flip a couple of times last year. The weather was so nice we fished outside from my Ranger a lot. I do have plans to use it more this year towing it behind my SkiDoo when we finally get enough ice. I have an Otter XT Pro X-Over Resort as well and will say Otter's build quality on their flips is much better than their hubs. Both companies make a really nice flip and you'll be happy with either. The Otter will likely be heavier though as their sleds are beefier. I believe Otter's seats can be removed and put in the tub (they can on my Resort but all the smaller flips use a different seating system with a bar running the length of the tub, so be sure to confirm. Otter comes with the folding bench, which of course I did not use. The frame for the flip- is what typically sticks up anyways though.
Old 11-24-2023, 08:15 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

I see Eskimo has a 2000 one now too....hmmm....gonna buy it and have it shipped to you for the required modifications

https://geteskimo.com/products/eskape-2000

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-24-2023, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I see Eskimo has a 2000 one now too....hmmm....gonna buy it and have it shipped to you for the required modifications

https://geteskimo.com/products/eskape-2000

I think that’s going to be too small for 2 people. Good for when you want to zip across to Murray Island on cold days though.

I think if I was to do it over I’d do the 2600…similar in size to the 2400 with two chairs and Stormshield fabric. It is heavier though.
Old 11-25-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
To be honest, I only used the flip a couple of times last year. The weather was so nice we fished outside from my Ranger a lot. I do have plans to use it more this year towing it behind my SkiDoo when we finally get enough ice. I have an Otter XT Pro X-Over Resort as well and will say Otter's build quality on their flips is much better than their hubs. Both companies make a really nice flip and you'll be happy with either. The Otter will likely be heavier though as their sleds are beefier. I believe Otter's seats can be removed and put in the tub (they can on my Resort but all the smaller flips use a different seating system with a bar running the length of the tub, so be sure to confirm. Otter comes with the folding bench, which of course I did not use. The frame for the flip- is what typically sticks up anyways though.
Good to know that it's the frame that sticks up. Never paid attention to them closely at the store. I think I will be ok, I have 22-22.5" of space. And yes the smaller Otters have the bar running across, kind of prefer the Eskimo seat setup, although the Otter seats look more comfortable. Going to check them out today. It looks like both brands make solid products for the flip overs. Will be a hard decision between the Lodge, 2600 and 2800. Normally I go out with another but want the extra space incase I try to cram a third.
Old 11-25-2023, 08:54 AM

Great thread. its nice seeing people with skills helping those without . (hands in the air) Id have a hard time leaving the lake with this setup! Your reviews are great too not everyone lives near a store to check things out in person

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-25-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan668 View Post
Good to know that it's the frame that sticks up. Never paid attention to them closely at the store. I think I will be ok, I have 22-22.5" of space. And yes the smaller Otters have the bar running across, kind of prefer the Eskimo seat setup, although the Otter seats look more comfortable. Going to check them out today. It looks like both brands make solid products for the flip overs. Will be a hard decision between the Lodge, 2600 and 2800. Normally I go out with another but want the extra space incase I try to cram a third.
Otter's seats are the gold standard for flip shelters. I never used the bench that came with my Eskape 2400, but Ardisam kicked Eskimo their TearTuff mesh seats from a tree stand company they also own. If it's comfortable enough to spend hours motionless in a tree stand it should work in a flip shelter.
Old 11-25-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Great thread. its nice seeing people with skills helping those without . (hands in the air) Id have a hard time leaving the lake with this setup! Your reviews are great too not everyone lives near a store to check things out in person
It's four hours one way to Cabela's/TFH to pick this stuff up. I do it for myself, but figured why not post it for everyone. The nearest ice show is in Winterpeg, so pretty hard to see lots of this stuff in person.
Old 11-25-2023, 05:31 PM

I use the Eskimo 2600 exclusively. Spent numerous hours on the lake with it over the previous 3 winters and have never had an issue with the seat not being comfortable.

I use it as a 1 man shelter so removed the 2nd seat. I can load it into the back of my truck by myself by leaning the shelter against my tailgate then getting into the box and picking the shelter up by the hitch crossbar. Obviously, if I had a tonneau cover loading the shelter by myself be a whole lot harder.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:36 PM

Excellent information and sure nice to see your process.

I have Older model 2 and 3 Man Eskimo Flipmo Tents.

Gotta say the only issue I have ever had is the Seat to securement tube, Red Plastic base sockets and slide release sleeves break and or crack when used in the cold.
Here's hoping the newer ones are better at resisting the cold.

I have contacted Eskimo and they only sell complete aluminum tube and securement kits not individual Plastic pieces.