Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-04-2023, 12:06 AM
AO Sponsor

Default 2023 Season Wrap Up & Pics; BEST Chinook Salmon to Date - Serengeti Fishing Charters

Hello hello!

What a season it was for us this year! By far the best Chinook salmon season we have ever seen. Aboard my boat, the Ms Heather 3, I don't believe we had a day between June 4 and Aug 24 where we didn't limit on Chinook salmon when targeting them. Just amazing. Overall, regardless of limiting out or not, the fishing was spectacular and the weather was lights out for the vast majority of the summer, with only a handful of windy days in that timespan. Couldn't ask for better. Lingcod, halibut, was very good as usual, lingcod most days minus a week maybe all season was on fire once you found the "nest". Great average size too. I really can't emphasize the great salmon fishing though.

The most exciting part of this is the ocean survival conditions for salmon have been great for the past 4 years. We saw amazing Coho salmon last year, which have a 3 year life cycle. Indicating Chinook which are 4 year life cycle should be great this year, and they were. Coho again this year was very strong and all indicators are Chinook will be amazing next year again as well. It really is looking like the next few years of fishing for salmon will be some of the most epic in recent memory. So BOOK ASAP!

We only have 2 spots open in July, a handful in June, and a handful in August left for 2024. Contact us asap to make sure you get some dates that work for you!!!

I want to thank all of you who fished with us in 2023. We try our best to make sure that every trip for every guest is as memorable as possible. We can't control the weather, tides, and to some extent if fish are around or not (luckily for us in our area they almost always are!!!), but everything in our control we try to strive to perfect and love to hear any suggestions going forward. As a family business we try to seek perfection, where it can be achieved. We just love our guests we have back every year, and have made hundreds upon hundreds of friends over the years who I am so happy to fish with and even spend time with in the off season. I'm actually headed to Alberta to hunt with some of them next week! Thank you to each and every one of you who fish with us and enjoy the banter on the water and Dave Sr's stories off the water.

If you are looking for a great trip in 2024, please let me know! Or if there are any questions I can answer for you about a trip up in 2024! Enjoy the pictures!

Tight Lines,
David Summers Jr
Serengeti Fishing Charters

NHL Sniper Jeff Skinner

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 11-04-2023, 12:09 AM
AO Sponsor

Old 11-04-2023, 12:11 AM
AO Sponsor

Old 11-04-2023, 10:28 AM

looks like a great summer thanks for posting pictures
Old 11-04-2023, 11:07 AM

Always look forwards to this report. And it delivered!! Glad you guys had such a great year. Nice to hear a "future is bright" report will all the __it going on.

There are some really amazing fish in those pics. Creating memories...
Thanks for the update!
Old 11-04-2023, 06:42 PM

Amazing pictures and thanks for sharing! One of these years I have to make it out to your place!!!

DR
Old 11-09-2023, 02:21 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Always look forwards to this report. And it delivered!! Glad you guys had such a great year. Nice to hear a "future is bright" report will all the __it going on.

There are some really amazing fish in those pics. Creating memories...
Thanks for the update!
Thanks a ton! Was at meeting with DFO other evening and they were saying ocean survival is best from 2020-2023 they've seen in decades, so for the next 3-4 seasons fishing should be off the hook. They've seen this trend with every salmon species except Chum BUT 3 year old chum returns were very high (They're usually 4-5), so next year even they will come back strong they're guessing. Not that we target Chum, but good to hear the health of the ocean is doing well last few years. Most bait we have ever seen as well!

Old 11-09-2023, 02:22 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Amazing pictures and thanks for sharing! One of these years I have to make it out to your place!!!

DR
Love to have you anytime !

Old 11-14-2023, 10:20 PM
AO Sponsor

I’m bringing the worlds best canine killer to meet you next Aug… if you talk nice to him, he might put you in a plane or chopper and you can shoot coyotes all day long! He might need some of your coaching to help him land a few more salmon tho!

The last guide was kinda brutal…. Actually beyond brutal, like beyond hope! Was a good fisher, but JEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ…. we were fishing with such garbage…. Didn’t want to net coho cuz his net full of holes and zip tied together… kinda. Thus lotsa lost cohos… and they sooooo yummy!!! Halibut rods blowing up, like two people holding reel and rod together whilst third person reeled. Lotsa fish lost, garbage line, coho breaking off and guide blaming novice buddy fisher… NOOOOO, DONT THINK SO BOB….. AND PLEASE HAVE A SHOWER TOO, YOU STINK!!! Like change yer line once in a while if you must use mono! Below deck was almost as bad as death! Well maybe not quite but yuck… and we had ladies aboard!!!

Not again!

Uqlet very nice and pretty place and all, nice holiday place for family and couples, but for real fishing, can’t beat you north island guys… and you second to none, always willing to go the extra mile, I mean miles, to get the fish! And get the fish you do, like no other I’ve encountered thus far on island or mainland. And north island guys… meaning the real fisher men… not the goof balls!

So thanx! Thank you very much!

Disclaimer…. very Friesland Dutch flavoured post, but no names used, to protect the identities of the….GUILTY!!!!!

Last edited by Marty S; 11-14-2023 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2023, 08:02 PM
AO Sponsor

Looking forward to having you back buddy. After DFO meetings this past month it sure looks like salmon fishing, especially Coho and Chinook, will be outstanding through 2027. With best ocean survival conditions in decades from 2019-2023, 3-4 year cycle fish like Coho and Chinook will have amazing returns right through 2027 (ocean survival is key for smolts heading into ocean, even a change of 1% higher survival rates of them makes a huge difference in returns). Maybe further depending on ocean survival conditions in 2024. Looking good.

Couple dates left in each month (July only one) so contact us asap if looking for 2024. Great corporate trip to book to get rid of those excess corp budget dollars before year's end