Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-06-2023, 06:33 PM

Default Kicker size

Well...now that I have settled the fact that a 2005 Merc 250 Varedo with 350 hrs is a solid engine....now onto the kicker...23 Pro Line Sport...with a-fore-mentioned Main engine...I want to put on a kicker. So looking for opinions as to what size of kicker will do. Need to troll slow enough.....but if the main motor goes and there is a good wind, be able to get back to the dock both here in AB on the bigger lakes and coastal BC. Looking at something from the Merc Kicker Pro Series. Appriciate the input!
Old 12-06-2023, 09:01 PM

Default Kicker

I have the 15hp Merc. On my Ranger 620 FS, lots of power. Had a 9.9 on my Stratos 219DC with way less freeboard, just enough power. Always go for the bigger power, you can always use less throttle.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:29 PM

We have a 9.9 on a 28' Kingfisher but that won't get you back ... a guide I knew one time ran a 25hp merc Bigfoot and it trolled great plus it could get him back if the main with all the currents etc on the left coast
Old 12-07-2023, 06:18 AM

Ya...think I'm gonna go with a 25...should be good to troll and enough to get me back. appriciate the info!
Old 12-07-2023, 11:15 AM

I’ve run the 9.9 and the 15 Pro Kickers. The 15 was EFI and the 9.9s have been carbureted. The EFI is worth it, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-07-2023, 11:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Ya...think I'm gonna go with a 25...should be good to troll and enough to get me back. appriciate the info!
Your gonna have to retrain me on this new vessel

congrats!!!!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-07-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Your gonna have to retrain me on this new vessel

congrats!!!!
Lol..don't worry....gonna definitely go for a few cruises up your way! I'll give you a shout once the ice is out!
Old 12-07-2023, 03:09 PM

You should read a little about hydrodynamics, displacement speed etc. before you spend your money. A 25hp won’t do anything a 9.9 high thrust won’t except weigh more, burn more fuel and troll a little faster at an idle. It won’t give you any more speed or control at full noise.

I’m not sure your exact waterline length but your max displacement speed is about 6 knots. You could achieve that with a Tohatsu 6 hp sailpro weighing 55lbs and you won’t achieve any more then that with a 25hp weighing nearly three times as much hanging off the transom.

If it were my money I would look for a 15 pro kicker because it’s built for purpose… all remote start, power trim, matches the brand of your main, can still be pull started, minimal fuel burn, has a good alternator and efi, etc… but there are several high thrust kickers that would work just fine. A 25 is a bad idea.

Have you got trim tabs to offset the effect of the kicker hanging off one side?
Old 12-07-2023, 03:41 PM

Purpose designed 25 high thrust. Pretty standard on bigger boats over 24' out here on the left coast.
https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/en/water...25-High-Thrust

Last edited by HL_transplant; 12-07-2023 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:47 PM

My vote would be the 15HP Pro Kicker, but ONLY the newer EFI version. I don't see the advantage of the 25HP in your situation, just added cost and weight.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
My vote would be the 15HP Pro Kicker, but ONLY the newer EFI version. I don't see the advantage of the 25HP in your situation, just added cost and weight.
Ya...I'm not sure about the 25 either...the more I look and research...the smaller the kicker keeps getting! This is why I am really looking to real world experience. LOL I was looking at a 45 first...case bigger is better! But not in this case. So a 23' 4500lb boat, would get back to dock fine in in a 15 Knot wind?
Old 12-07-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
You should read a little about hydrodynamics, displacement speed etc. before you spend your money. A 25hp won’t do anything a 9.9 high thrust won’t except weigh more, burn more fuel and troll a little faster at an idle. It won’t give you any more speed or control at full noise.

I’m not sure your exact waterline length but your max displacement speed is about 6 knots. You could achieve that with a Tohatsu 6 hp sailpro weighing 55lbs and you won’t achieve any more then that with a 25hp weighing nearly three times as much hanging off the transom.

If it were my money I would look for a 15 pro kicker because it’s built for purpose… all remote start, power trim, matches the brand of your main, can still be pull started, minimal fuel burn, has a good alternator and efi, etc… but there are several high thrust kickers that would work just fine. A 25 is a bad idea.

Great post! Pretty sure now 15 Merc Pro efi is where I will end up.
Old 12-09-2023, 01:36 AM

def the 15 horse pro kicker. The prop is da bomb, good torque.
Old 12-09-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatixx View Post
def the 15 horse pro kicker. The prop is da bomb, good torque.
Awesome..Thanks!
Old 12-11-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:

The above is absolutely right.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:55 PM

Quote:

I agree. I had a 15hp on my 26' Striper and salt water got in the line and blew the motor. (Always install Racor on every fuel line!!!! An expensive lesson I learned the hard way.)
Anyway, replaced it with 25HP. Thought the extra HP would be great in case my main engine had problems while I was out fishing and needed to get back to dock. We're typically 20-30 miles from the Marina.
HATED IT!!!!! Always was working to throttle down to the correct speed for trolling. Changed the prop. It helped, but always was a pain in the a**. Never had any issues with the 15 HP.
Bigger isn't always better...
Old 12-11-2023, 07:31 PM

I figure this would fit the bill....

https://www.mercurymarine.com/us/en/...o/verado-600hp
Old 12-12-2023, 12:17 AM

So more details, I put a 9 mercury on my 20’ hewescraft and later switched to the 15. It wasn’t any better than the 9, except it was quieter at low idle and the extra weight didn’t affect buoyancy too much. I did have a custom pod put on the back and ran it without trim tabs, m6 boat wasn’tset up for them. I have ran a smaller yamaha outboard on a smaller hewescraft that I once owned. They were good too but the electric start long handle and controls were really smartly laid out on the mercury. Good luck with your boat! coil oil, mark and others comments ring true in my opinion. Motors are like wives fun to shop for, expensive to get rid of and you feel used after you make a bad choice.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:39 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatixx View Post
So more details, I put a 9 mercury on my 20’ hewescraft and later switched to the 15. It wasn’t any better than the 9, except it was quieter at low idle and the extra weight didn’t affect buoyancy too much. I did have a custom pod put on the back and ran it without trim tabs, m6 boat wasn’tset up for them. I have ran a smaller yamaha outboard on a smaller hewescraft that I once owned. They were good too but the electric start long handle and controls were really smartly laid out on the mercury. Good luck with your boat! coil oil, mark and others comments ring true in my opinion. Motors are like wives fun to shop for, expensive to get rid of and you feel used after you make a bad choice.
LMFAO....nailed it with that comment! And strangely enough...this is my 3rd boat...and now on my 3rd wife...so there may be something there! Although the first 2 didn't like fishing and this one is telling me what she wants on the boat! So as in motors...get the one that suits you, treat them good, look after all the small things everyday and they will in turn be there when you need them, never let you down, and be the driving force to get you where you need to go in rough seas and calm days....which brings be to wondering where the kicker come in to that analogy.....
Old 12-12-2023, 11:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
LMFAO....nailed it with that comment! And strangely enough...this is my 3rd boat...and now on my 3rd wife...so there may be something there! Although the first 2 didn't like fishing and this one is telling me what she wants on the boat! So as in motors...get the one that suits you, treat them good, look after all the small things everyday and they will in turn be there when you need them, never let you down, and be the driving force to get you where you need to go in rough seas and calm days....which brings be to wondering where the kicker come in to that analogy.....
So your saying women are like outboards....

We gotta get out a few more times so I can learn more.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-12-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So your saying women are like outboards....

We gotta get out a few more times so I can learn more.
Well..come early thaw..which it will this year....I'll be up there May...we can even bring the outboards! I Mean....tge Wives....
Old 12-12-2023, 11:37 PM

Well,…and when the kicker quits working (spinning on your prop) you want to ditch it as dead weight so the analogy holds true…