Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-29-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReayMan View Post
Have seen lots of guys walk into bow shops a week before season to buying there first bow, saying they are going hunting in a week. If noodle has been an archer for a while than my bad.
I'm no pro thats for sure but not overly bad just need some practice and ill be out sooner then later
Old 08-29-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle_313 View Post
I'm no pro thats for sure but not overly bad just need some practice and ill be out sooner then later
I'm not a pro either. What I am is a bow hunter that has a ton of respect for the animals that I harvest. Hope you have a great hunting season.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:21 PM

I am pretty sure I can take any fit person with a positive mental attitude, go into a pro shop, buy an modern compound archery set up, and have them hunting within a week (give or take a few days).............Provided they practice and realize that the limitation for the first year might be a 25 yard shot from a blind or stand. Good equipment and not being over bowed is also a key factor.

It's archery not karate. All the other stuff comes with hours of practice, but hitting a 6" target at 20 yards is duck soup.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:24 PM

I would also add that ideally new archers have an experienced buddy heading out with them. I was fortunate to have several help me out.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReayMan View Post
Not trying to be a jerk, just hate seeing guys shoot a dozen arrows and figure they are ready to go hunting!
lol, unless you've been at it for years and don't change your gear, pick up your rig before next season and shoot 9 arrows for confirmation out to 70 yards before a season gets going and good to go, done that several seasons, different if your a nube or you got new gear to set up but you can shoot less than 10 and giver under the right circumstances there is no other proving needed to be done
Old 08-29-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
lol, unless you've been at it for years and don't change your gear, pick up your rig before next season and shoot 9 arrows for confirmation out to 70 yards before a season gets going and good to go, done that several seasons, different if your a nube or you got new gear to set up but you can shoot less than 10 and giver under the right circumstances there is no other proving needed to be done
Agreed 100%
Old 09-01-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I am pretty sure I can take any fit person with a positive mental attitude, go into a pro shop, buy an modern compound archery set up, and have them hunting within a week (give or take a few days).............Provided they practice and realize that the limitation for the first year might be a 25 yard shot from a blind or stand. Good equipment and not being over bowed is also a key factor.

It's archery not karate. All the other stuff comes with hours of practice, but hitting a 6" target at 20 yards is duck soup.
I like your attitude!