Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-12-2009, 09:31 AM
sheephunter

Default Does the RCMP seem more efficient

Is it just me or does the RCMP seem more efficient at running the Firearm Centre? I mean everyone was always helpful before but getting answers was usually a challenge. I ordered a new rifle that doesn't yet exist in the system and I couldn't get it phone verified so I had to call the main registry office. I thought, "oh great". But the lady was most helpful and worked with the info I had and I should have my verfier number next week to complete the registration. I don't like the system but if we have to work within it, it's nice to have knowledgeable and helpful people. I sucks knowing the rifle is sitting at the airport waiting for me though.....lol Hope they treat her well.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:47 AM

I'm not sure if the credit should go to the RCMP or not, but the last couple of restricted transfers I did when through really quickly.

Hopefully your rifle doesn't get too lonely waiting for you at the airport!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:59 AM

My renewal hasn't exactly come winging back at me.
Maybe you just got them on a good day, TJ.
Congrats on your Outdoor Writers of Canada Communication awards, by the way.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:01 AM

My guess is that they got a lot more customer-service oriented when it became apparent that the registry was largely ineffective, way over budget and may be shut down by the current administration...
Old 06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
My renewal hasn't exactly come winging back at me.
Maybe you just got them on a good day, TJ.
Congrats on your Outdoor Writers of Canada Communication awards, by the way.

Ya, I haven't had much to do with them in regards to licencing but all the transfer and registration stuff has been a breeze.

Thanks Neil....congrats to you as well. Alberta Outdoorsmen really cleaned up at the awards, as it usually does!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Is it just me or does the RCMP seem more efficient at running the Firearm Centre? I mean everyone was always helpful before but getting answers was usually a challenge. I ordered a new rifle that doesn't yet exist in the system and I couldn't get it phone verified so I had to call the main registry office. I thought, "oh great". But the lady was most helpful and worked with the info I had and I should have my verfier number next week to complete the registration. I don't like the system but if we have to work within it, it's nice to have knowledgeable and helpful people. I sucks knowing the rifle is sitting at the airport waiting for me though.....lol Hope they treat her well.
Can't/won't comment on the RCMP, but if you were talking to one of the locals who work there, that's the reason you had such a pleasant experience over the phone. Just plain great folks there in the Miramichi. If any community deserved the work it's that one. I will pass along your comments.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:19 AM
sheephunter

I ended up having to talk with someone in Ottawa but I've done a few transfers recently and they were very pleasant about those as well. I'm sure these people get a lot of grief from gun owners upset with the registry but they are just doing a job. Anyhow, I hate the registry too but if we have to live with it, nice to be able to deal with friendly and competent people.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I ended up having to talk with someone in Ottawa but I've done a few transfers recently and they were very pleasant about those as well. I'm sure these people get a lot of grief from gun owners upset with the registry but they are just doing a job. Anyhow, I hate the registry too but if we have to live with it, nice to be able to deal with friendly and competent people.
Yeah, bear in mind boys and girls, the locals working there are folks I know you'd all enjoy.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:04 PM

Thumbs up

I have done 5 transfers/registrations in the past 8 weeks. All have went super smooth.
I also had to renew my firearms license. Four weeks after sending in my application I have my new license.
The people I have dealt with all seemed very knowledgeable. Its nice talking to someone who knows what they are talking about.

I give them two thumbs up.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 06-12-2009, 04:40 PM

it was about 8 or 9 months before my renewal came back. i cant wait till they scrap all this crap.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:50 PM

8 or 9 months.... How long ago was that?
There must have been some sort of hold up.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 06-12-2009, 09:09 PM

Just started the road up to getting the RPAL and related equipment and have found our CFO office in Alberta to be very efficient, pleasant and helpful. I'm really glad things have improved for restricted owners to be able to move and use these types of firearms for lawful purposes.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
Yeah, bear in mind boys and girls, the locals working there are folks I know you'd all enjoy.
pogo you seem to know the area. Are you from there? I'm in Miramichi right now.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzy View Post
pogo you seem to know the area. Are you from there? I'm in Miramichi right now.
Hung around there a bit in the late 80's - '90's. Don't get back much now, but I'm always threatening to go for a good feed of lobster. How's things?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:29 PM

Good job

Who cares if I buy a new 22

The only person who "should" care is the "Minister of Finance" and I can usually fool her.......well at least until 6 months later when some schmuck sends me a letter in the mail telling her I did

tm
Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 AM

I've done purchases, sales and transfers and never had anything but very helpful and polite service so I certainly can't complain. Just sent in my PAL renewal a couple weks ago so we shall see. As long as I get it before September I'll be satisfied.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Banned

Just bought my first registered gun yesterday and I was shocked at how fast and easy it was. Went outside for a smoke when he started the process...thinking this would take forever...and it was all done when I got back in the store.

Its still BS though.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:33 PM

Usually fast service, I have to agree. Just sent in my PAL renewal, hopefully it'll be back soon too.

Frans
Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 PM

Default registry

Well that's all great that you all had a easy time with those people, but lets not help with the people that wanted the registry, lets tell the liberal people that we do not want it, they are the ones stopping the demise of it, the ones in charge of the country at this time want to get it abolished, but the liberals are stopping the progress, they want to get back in charge to enforce the money grabber division more on us, OH did I say all that, I can't find my back space button.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:46 PM

yup, they people in Miramachi have all been pleasant and nice to talk to.

Still, last purchase/transfer I did was a 60 year old, non-res, bolt action milsurp rifle. The transfer took two weeks to come through.

"Efficient" is not the first word that comes to mind to describe the process (but there are kids and sensitive souls on here so I won't go there).
Old 06-16-2009, 09:28 AM

Default HA!

I had a period a few years ago they couldn't get anything right. I was put in the computer as buyer and seller of a gun and could not sell it again later, and that was the same gun earlier I had my transfer papers on but the computer said was not in my name. What a mess. They won't give the name of the old owner so you can't clear it up either. Right now I am trying to sell a gun that was never transfered to me on the computer. It was never transfered to anyone on the computer. It is registered. Now we have to track down the original owner who has moved years ago. Thing is I saw them confirm on the phone the transfer at the gun store. These issues were all starting about the same time and now all new transfers are going good for me. I have heard of a few guys with issues but it may be from old errors too. The system sucks but they are getting better at making it work. Still not worth the billions we have put into it

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember