Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-09-2009, 06:29 PM

Default Bumping the shoulder on cases

If I have a 4X or 5X fired case that no longer fits in my chamber, and I neck size after each firing, is it because the shoulder has grown forward, or the body of the case has gotten progressively tighter? So if I am neck sizing with my FL die, and the case no longer fits in my chamber, can I simply lower my die a couple of thou. until the case fits my chamber, or do I need to FL size the body as well?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:56 PM

I'm no handloader (my Buddy does mine) but 4 or 5 times with the same brass and I'd say you're done.....time for new brass.

tm
Old 06-09-2009, 07:03 PM

HeyTM. This brass is for a 7-08 and with fairly light loads and annealing the necks, I'm hoping for at least twice as many firings as that. That being said, I've never pushed brass (especially hot loads, or for the magnums) past that 4 or 5 times fired. I've just always wondered if I am shorting myself on some brass life. Maybe your right. I'll see what kind of consensus we get from everyone out there.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 PM

Bump till it fits.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:11 PM

Coldredneck does mine but I'm usually pretty drunk when I leave there and don't remember much

Some teacher

Good thread......I was watching it and no one chimed up so time for a free bump

I'm outta here for 4 days so if you could bump it back to the top for Sun nightshift I'd appreciatte it

tm
Old 06-09-2009, 07:22 PM

Thanks Chuck. That's kind of what I thought. I just picked up some Hornady tools to measure case growth before and after firing, I just haven't put them to use yet. Hopefully with them I can measure a little more accurately how much exactly to move the shoulder with the die. I just wasn't sure if it was only a shoulder issue or a whole case growth issue.
Consider a Sun. btt a done deal TM
Old 06-09-2009, 07:34 PM

If you are neck sizing your brass & you are firing it in a bolt action, it may be time to trim your cases. If the neck becomes stretched ic can be hard to close an action.

Go to your loading manual & see what the case length shoud be. Trim accordingly.

rogue
Old 06-09-2009, 07:48 PM

Thanks rogue. Generally after every firing I like to measure case length (even though though they don't seem to grow too much after the first couple of firings) and when needed, trim back about 10 thou. from max. case length listed in the manuals.
Chuck, is that how you like to run your hunting ammo as well, or do you FL resize the cases that really have to feed (and extract) properly? I have been only neck sizing hunting ammo, but I run every cartridge through the rifle it was loaded for so that I know it feeds and extracts as it should before it goes into the field.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 PM

Predator,

I've neck sized cases with a FL resizer as well. Mostly 7RM and 240 Gordy, both high voltage rounds loaded hot. I never had to bump any back but some cases would start to become difficult to close the bolt on. Screwing down your FL a 1/2 turn then sizing the cases should set them back sufficiently. Certainly you could try this on a case or to and observe the results.

respectfully,
Bobby B.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:02 PM

Yep, its time to bump your shoulder back. A mild loaded
7mm-08 should give you a few more loads than what you have gotten. Of course there are a lot of variables that come into play like actual chamber tightness so you will have to keep an I on them.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:14 PM

Don't know about this bumping the shoulder bit, but I usually just neck size my 7mm mag and find after 4 or 5 reloads, I have to do a full length sizing to make them fit.
Grizz
Old 06-09-2009, 08:16 PM

I have some 300RUM brass that has been fired 21 times. I anneal every third reload and neck size with a FL die. I set the shoulder back every third reload as well. I used to do it every 5th or so, but just seems to be easier to do when I spend the time annealing cases.

If you have a tight chamber,mainly neck sizing and annealing I would think you should get at least 12-15 reloads out of a set of brass.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:37 PM

Thanks all!
Bobby B. Thats kind of where I am at with this. I can close the bolt, but I notice increasing difficulty with each firing. I don't know if it will progress to a point that I can't close the bolt though. I'm not too worried for range time, but I certainly don't want it that tough to close in the field. I'm going to try exactly your suggestion, and try a few cases after turning in the die.
Longbomber. That has got to be some kind of record for those RUM cases It sounds that you take lots of care in your case prep and maint. though. I am hoping with some care, I can get the kind of life out of these cases that you mention. This is for a rifle that I just had built, and it is a tight match, no neck turn chamber. All of this is just kind of an experiment as I gain more experience reloading and trying different things with this particular rifle.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:09 PM

Just full-length re-size as per die mfrs instructions. I neck size with Lee Collet on all my bottle necks and when they get tight it's time to prep by the book. 20 firings out of your 7mm-08 is not unrealistic, and good for the environment.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Banned

I have surpassed 20 loadings that were as hot as you would want to make them from my 270 - depends on the chamber of your rifle. I have a 303 Enfield that the brass doesn't survive more than one firing from.

If the neck gets too long and you force the bullet to chamber it can crimp the neck into the bullet increasing the resistance of the bullet leaving the case and causing a pressure spike. Always check the overall case length and trim cases as necessary. Should fix your chambering problem with out a FL resize.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:34 AM

just thread your full length die down until you are sizing all the the neck and just touching the shoulder, do it in several steps that way you avoid undersizing and overworking your brass, will be as good as new after.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Gone Hunting

I had similar problem with shoulder length after neck sizing only and came across Digital headspace gage and now I can measure headspace on the shoulder by measuring length of fired shell and adjusting FL die so is backing shoulder exactly 0.002 inch.
http://www.larrywillis.com/instructions3.html
I am loading for multiple rifles so it was justified expense...now I am able to play with bullet setting depth as well...measuring from ogilve and not from tip.

Andrew
Old 06-10-2009, 07:39 AM

couple of questions?
1 when u chamber the brass (before sizing) does the bolt come to a dead stop then the handle has to be forced down?

2 when u chamber the same way do u feel resistance all the way and then the handle drops ?

3 does a fired non sized brass chamber then after sizing does not?

4 is the brass gripping the chamber so tight that the bolt face is scribing ur headstamp area when handle drops?

u might want to take a felt pen and mark 3 or 4 lines complete length of the brass and chamber and u should get scribe marks on it.(unsized)

issues could be lenght, shoulder,width, or the dreaded donut cause ur using a FL die to do necks ...
Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 PM

Sunday btt for Tundra Monkey
Old 06-14-2009, 08:18 PM

Thanx for the good thread and the bump Predator,

Intereting stuff for sure.

Just watched Outdoor Quest filmed by Sheephunter.....yummy ewe hunt ....he's just about to shoot nice mulie

thanx again,

tm

Holyyy.....good timing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!