Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-15-2009, 09:00 PM

Default Ballistic Silver Tip vs Sierra Game King?

Just wondering if someone can shed some light on this. I was at the range yesterday shooting my .308. Normally I use the Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip 168 gr. and they shoot great but I wanted to try the Federal Sierra Game King 165 gr. BTSP as I have heard good things about this bullet for hunting. I don't yet reload so I am stuck with factory ammo for now.

My first 3 shot group at 200 yards with the Winchester measured .826" center to center right about where I was aiming.

Then I tried the Game Kings. Not a bad group measuring just under an inch. Normally I would be pleased but the group was approx. 2.5" low and 2.5" right of my aiming point. What the H***?
So I tried the same thing again with both bullets and got about the same results. I know all ammo doesn't shoot the same but I thought this was a little weird.

I'm just wondering if someone can shed some light on what may have happened?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5R Milspec View Post
Just wondering if someone can shed some light on this. I was at the range yesterday shooting my .308. Normally I use the Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip 168 gr. and they shoot great but I wanted to try the Federal Sierra Game King 165 gr. BTSP as I have heard good things about this bullet for hunting. I don't yet reload so I am stuck with factory ammo for now.

My first 3 shot group at 200 yards with the Winchester measured .826" center to center right about where I was aiming.

Then I tried the Game Kings. Not a bad group measuring just under an inch. Normally I would be pleased but the group was approx. 2.5" low and 2.5" right of my aiming point. What the H***?
So I tried the same thing again with both bullets and got about the same results. I know all ammo doesn't shoot the same but I thought this was a little weird.

I'm just wondering if someone can shed some light on what may have happened?
Most ammo seems to have a different POI even in the same grain from the same manufacturer ( eg. remington core lokt vs scirrocco premium).
The loads you mentioned have a 3 grain difference as well as the other variables in powder/primer.
Your results are normal.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 PM

i'll guess at it. the lower poi on the game kings is probably due to a lesser balistic coefficient, doesn't slice through the air as well. as for being to the right, maybe your scope is not level, and with more bullet drop away from your aim point, the more exagerated to the right your poi. but just a guess.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:44 PM

Barrel harmonics will change the POI on different loads and different bullets. In short, your barrel whips when a shot is fired. Different bullets leave the barrel at a different point in the "whip" of the barrel.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:52 PM

clean the barrel and shoot one or the other.... i find the noslers bt`s are softer compared to the sierras,,,
Old 06-15-2009, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I'm still fairly new to shooting but love to get out there. I still have lots to learn about what really goes on when you shoot. It just sort of bothered me that it was such a difference. I went out a couple weeks ago with just some cheap blue box Federal 180 gr. and those shot fine also, a little low but expected as they are heavier that what I normally shoot. But at $50 a box for the Winchester I have to shoot some cheap stuff every once in a while in order to get out as much as I want.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 PM

I used Ballistic silvertips before I started reloading. It's great stuff. I was shooting about 3 inches high and 3 inches left when compared to the cheap wal-mart winchester ammo. As stated, most ammo will have a different POI. Stick with one ammo or you will find yourself constantly sighting in your rifle. .826" group at 200 yards is a darn good group by the way.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:12 PM

The rifle that will print different brands of bullet into the same group is more of an anomaly than the opposite.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeo View Post
Stick with one ammo or you will find yourself constantly sighting in your rifle. .826" group at 200 yards is a darn good group by the way.
Thanks. I really think its the rifle, that thing will shoot just about anything straight. In the right hands with a good hand load I'm sure it could be a real tack driver.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:12 AM

The barrel twist on this gun seems to like the 180 gr. I shot a box of Federal Classics to break it in and I was impressed with the last few shots even coming out of a box of cheap factory ammo. After the break in, I went to my favourite Gameking ammo and I haven't been disappointed. This rifle lives up to its reputation.

Here's a pic of my 5R topped with a VXIII with a 30 mm tube. It has the Boone and Crocket reticle with the QRW rings. It's a pretty heavy set up but this unit is a shooter!

Last edited by M70; 06-16-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: .
Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
The barrel twist on this gun seems to like the 180 gr. I shot a box of Federal Classics to break it in and I was impressed with the last few shots even coming out of a box of cheap factory ammo. After the break in, I went to my favourite Gameking ammo and I haven't been disappointed. This rifle lives up to its reputation.

Here's a pic of my 5R topped with a VXIII with a 30 mm tube. It has the Boone and Crocket reticle with the QRW rings. It's a pretty heavy set up but this unit is a shooter!

I agree that the rifle do like the heavier bullets.

Here's a pic of my 5R topped with a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x 42mm with a 30 mm tube. I also added a Harris S-Series Bi Pod and sling. I've had the trigger pull adjusted to 3 lbs as it was heavy when I got it and also the recoil lug bedded as there was a little play in it when I would loosen the stock screws. It really is a heavy set up but I just love this gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new pic's march. 15th 056.jpg (61.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg new pic's march. 15th 060.jpg (70.1 KB, 17 views)