Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Banned

Default Lets build a rifle together

OK So here we go.
I am in the process of designing a custom rifle. It will be used primarily for mountain hunting so I want to0 keep the weight under 7.5-8 lbs if possible while maintaing accuracy, and of course its gotta look good.

For factory contenders I have nawrrowed it down to a WBY Mark V ultra light weight http://www.weatherby.com/product/rif...rkv/ultralight

or a kimber mountain ascent http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/...ountain-ascent available in .308 but soon in 7mm-08 and .260

i know these both are lighter than my minimums.

But I think we can combine our expertise and build a better rifle.

I will check in often and change the componants we are discussing and tell you what we have so far. I am sewrious as a heart attack. The works of us together have a lot of knowledge. If at the end of the "mock" build I like the results I will order componants and post the build.

So lets get the conversation started. First 2 discussion points, calibre and action.

For calibre I am leaning towards either a .257 WBY or any of the .308 based calibres. .308 based should have less recoil but not as much reach. Lets keep it clean. Dont bash if you can help it. Just try and promote the good points of your choice.

Action - 700 or 70 or mauser based? What brand? Why?

Ready, set, go
Old 02-08-2013, 02:48 PM

For a bolt action, I think your Remington will be a bit lighter than the '98 action, especially with the 308 sized case.
A 260 or 708 will reach out to any decent distance one needs to go to get a sheep , deer , or even a moose!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-08-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:52 PM

why does everyone turn away from the 270WSM because of ammunition cost?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 PM

Defiance Rebel in .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
Defiance Rebel in .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor.
Why?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoric View Post
why does everyone turn away from the 270WSM because of ammunition cost?
Not interested in a Short Mag. I have heard of feeding problems. I load so ammo cost means nothing. Short Mags are out. My Gun - My rules
Old 02-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
For a bolt action, I think your Remington will be a bit lighter than the '98 action, especially with the 308 sized case.
A 260 or 708 will reach out to any decent distance one needs to go to get a sheep , deer , or even a moose!
Cat
OK now we are cooking. So which 700 based action?

I am liking the idea of a .260 (I already have 2 7-08s) Why .260 vrs .257Bob or .257 WBY? Does Ackley Imp. benefit a .260 and if so by how much? Dramatic like it does to a .280 or meh like doing it ot a 7mm08?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 PM

.257 Scramjet for caliber.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Banned

blaser k95 at 5 lb 7oz, take down

blaser r93 at from recollection approx. 6 1/3rd lbs naked

top factory choices imo
Old 02-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSako View Post
.257 Scramjet for caliber.
when i said ammo cost meant nothing i meant within reason. I like the way you think but I will probably stay away from Lazzeroni on this one. Just not too sure how many shots you get from the brass on a scramjet. I have used a warbird. Cartridge was great but brass pretty spendy.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:04 PM

Short action 700, or Vanguard/Howa, .284Winchester, maybe 6.5x 284Lapua.
Lightning cut the action, and bolt, skelatilize the bolt handle and nob.
24" Gailliard SS 1 in10 mountain contour bbl, a real fiberglass, or fiber/Kevlar stock, Leupold compact 3-9 in Tally lightweight rings and bases.

The whole rig with scope, full magazine (blind), Uncle Mikes ultra light sling should tip the scales at less than 8 lbs all up.

Think 7mm 140 Accubonds @ 3000fps!

Need you look further?

There are no absolutes
Old 02-08-2013, 04:24 PM

Here is one that goes an ounce under 8lbs and is chambered for the 7mm Mashburn. For me this one is tough to one up. Except maybe on cost.

Start with a steel large dual apposing locking lug controlled round feed Model 70 receiver. Chrome Moly for ball bearing smooth feel to the action.

Custom smooth knob bolt handle for ease of manipulation without wearing on hands and equipment. Model 70 style open trigger mechanism that takes K.I.S.S. where it should be. It works in all types of conditions. I have another that has been expertly "shotgun faced" for a left hand shooter that will replace this one some day. A stock with an expertly shaped grip that is open enough yet not overly so and is just right in diameter.

A barrel contour that tapers quickly in the middle leaving meat at the muzzle and at the same time also pushing weight between the hands not under the forehand. A sling swivel stud placed far enough forward as to not bight the hand under recoil and a forend that is nicely checkered and substantial enough to hang onto.

An extra long spring steel extractor that is longer than the factory offering to remain captured inside the rear bridge (more on that later) and made of heat treated spring steel as apposed to metal injection moulded. Three position safety.

An ejection/loading port that has been expertly opened to longer than factory Holland and Holland specs for ease of and positive loading. Custom fitted steel scope mounts that are rugged, allow for low scope mounting and do not overhang the ejection port.

A stock that is cast on (for left handed shooter) and straight comb to allow perfect sight alignment every time.

Nice flat bedding surface for steel one piece aftermarket bottom metal.

Nicely shaped shadowline cheek piece that brings some form to function. No pancake cheek piece here thank you very much.

Custom heat treated stainless steel magazine box that is wider to allow four belted magnum cartridges in the belly of the magazine without a "drop box" or perch belly stock. A follower that is designed to allow a single round to drop into the magazine well and still ride up under the extractor as the round is pushed into the chamber.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-08-2013, 04:38 PM

Model 70 stainless action, Lilja #3 contour 22" barrel: fluted , chambered in .260 Rem or .260 AI. Machine work to the action, bolt and its handle to trim weight. The stock I'd have to research a bit.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Short action 700, or Vanguard/Howa, .284Winchester, maybe 6.5x 284Lapua.
Lightning cut the action, and bolt, skelatilize the bolt handle and nob.
24" Gailliard SS 1 in10 mountain contour bbl, a real fiberglass, or fiber/Kevlar stock, Leupold compact 3-9 in Tally lightweight rings and bases.

The whole rig with scope, full magazine (blind), Uncle Mikes ultra light sling should tip the scales at less than 8 lbs all up.

Think 7mm 140 Accubonds @ 3000fps!

Need you look further?
See, now you went and spoiled all the fun.
Question 1 - why short action 700 instead of model 7 if you are buying a factory action to chop
2 Why those particular calibres?
Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Model 70 stainless action, Lilja #3 contour 22" barrel: fluted , chambered in .260 Rem or .260 AI. Machine work to the action, bolt and its handle to trim weight. The stock I'd have to research a bit.
So tuned up Win factory action vrs aftermarket again. Seems to be the common thread.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Here is one that goes an ounce under 8lbs and is chambered for the 7mm Mashburn. For me this one is tough to one up. Except maybe on cost.

Start with a steel large dual apposing locking lug controlled round feed Model 70 receiver. Chrome Moly for ball bearing smooth feel to the action.

Custom smooth knob bolt handle for ease of manipulation without wearing on hands and equipment. Model 70 style open trigger mechanism that takes K.I.S.S. where it should be. It works in all types of conditions. I have another that has been expertly "shotgun faced" for a left hand shooter that will replace this one some day. A stock with an expertly shaped grip that is open enough yet not overly so and is just right in diameter.

A barrel contour that tapers quickly in the middle leaving meat at the muzzle and at the same time also pushing weight between the hands not under the forehand. A sling swivel stud placed far enough forward as to not bight the hand under recoil and a forend that is nicely checkered and substantial enough to hang onto.

An extra long spring steel extractor that is longer than the factory offering to remain captured inside the rear bridge (more on that later) and made of heat treated spring steel as apposed to metal injection moulded. Three position safety.

An ejection/loading port that has been expertly opened to longer than factory Holland and Holland specs for ease of and positive loading. Custom fitted steel scope mounts that are rugged, allow for low scope mounting and do not overhang the ejection port.

A stock that is cast on (for left handed shooter) and straight comb to allow perfect sight alignment every time.

Nice flat bedding surface for steel one piece aftermarket bottom metal.

Nicely shaped shadowline cheek piece that brings some form to function. No pancake cheek piece here thank you very much.

Custom heat treated stainless steel magazine box that is wider to allow four belted magnum cartridges in the belly of the magazine without a "drop box" or perch belly stock. A follower that is designed to allow a single round to drop into the magazine well and still ride up under the extractor as the round is pushed into the chamber.
Beuti rifle no doubt but here is why it wont make my cut.

Currently goto gun is a .300 WBY. Not looking to replace it. Looking for something more for sheep and deer size game. 7mm Mashburn really has no advantage over the 7mmSTW or 7mmWBY except brass and dies are super expensive and hard to find.

I really like the barrel contour on your rifle and will go with something similar. What make of barrel is this and what contour?

Again nice rifle but not for this build.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:10 PM

Another sub 8lb Custom Model 70 built by Mark Penrod. The sky is the limit.

Echols McMillan EDGE

Jeweled bolt and three panel checkered custom handle.

Scalloped bolt shroud where the safety rests.

Blackburn bottom metal

Jewelled steel follower

Narrowed shotgun faced trigger.

Checkered bolt release and shaped tang.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-08-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
Beuti rifle no doubt but here is why it wont make my cut.

Currently goto gun is a .300 WBY. Not looking to replace it. Looking for something more for sheep and deer size game. 7mm Mashburn really has no advantage over the 7mmSTW or 7mmWBY except brass and dies are super expensive and hard to find.

I really like the barrel contour on your rifle and will go with something similar. What make of barrel is this and what contour?

Again nice rifle but not for this build.
It is a Douglas #2

Cartridge selection is largely moot.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-08-2013, 05:13 PM

Throw that Penrod in a McMillan compact EDGE, add a fwt barrel, and Sunny Hill blind trigger bow and it weighs sub 7lbs. With no messing with the action.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-08-2013, 05:22 PM

7.5 - 8lb is not light. If that is your goal weight, pick whatever action you like, put it in a Fiberglas stock and use a reasonable barrel contour.

When you are in the 5-6lb range you need to start being picky with your components...
Old 02-08-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
7.5 - 8lb is not light. If that is your goal weight, pick whatever action you like, put it in a Fiberglas stock and use a reasonable barrel contour.

When you are in the 5-6lb range you need to start being picky with your components...
Agreed.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Banned

Calibre is .260 Ackley Improved.
Reasons
Minimal recoil
AI should give +- 100 fps cutting in half any advantage the 6.5x284 had
Short action
Old 02-08-2013, 05:52 PM

i was thinking the same thing a year ago....
i know you said no WSM, and each to there own.... i picked 300 wsm
I really like 308 caliber, because of the of the energy, bullet weights and ballistic coefficient... and i want a hard hitting round incase a bear wants me as lunch.

Action....(700 based) Defiance Rebel XM short medium action....
i picked this action because its 0.300 bigger then a Remington's short action
so i can add a little extra free bore, and seat the bullets way out, and load hot

http://defiancemachine.com/rebel-action/

(1 thing i really do not like about a 700 based action is the 90 degree bolt throw) but you cant win them all.

Alum bottom metal, with hinged floor plate
(lighter then a clip)

I went with a ABS barrel, 24"
i like the idea of the barrel, weather or not it works , time will tell..

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek092.html

and im using a Christensen Arms thumb hole stock
use to hate thumb holes, in till i used one...

this should be under 6 pounds
im hopping it will be 6.3 lb with rings n scope
Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 PM

Good choice. I like the .260 for the excellent variety of projectiles available for reloading a 6.5mm; they far outweigh what you can get in a .25 cal. and have some great heavy-for-calibre options.

Kimber make nice lightweight actions, I just don't know of many people pulling those rifles apart to rechamber them, considering their cost and all. I had a Kimber Longmaster Classic in .308, and it sure seemed light considering the somewhat heavy contour barrel on it.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 02-08-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:11 PM

Its hard to believe that Chucks rifles would not make the cut.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Banned

I am going to go with a model 70 action because I want the dependabilty of controlled feed. Other that the usual skelatanizing of the bolt handle and knob, any ideas on how to shed a couple ounces.

Chuck I love that second rifle

Are D'Arcey Echols actions worked over winchesters or sdoes he build them from the ground up? What kinda price tag do his actions come with?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 PM

Those are Winchester Model 70 actions extensively reworked by Bill Leeper, Mark Penrod, and Steve Heilmann. The stocks are D'Arcy's design built by McMillan.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
OK now we are cooking. So which 700 based action?

I am liking the idea of a .260 (I already have 2 7-08s) Why .260 vrs .257Bob or .257 WBY? Does Ackley Imp. benefit a .260 and if so by how much? Dramatic like it does to a .280 or meh like doing it ot a 7mm08?
LeftyCanuck just built a .260 AI
Old 02-08-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Why?
The Rebel is a great action that is not too heavy. You can skip all the blueprinting/truing work that you would have to do to a factory action like a 700 or a 70, and you can customize many of the options that appeal to you. Dependability won't be a problem with this action. If it were a dangerous game rifle I might go 70, but for a sheep/deer rifle, this is the better option, IMO.

.260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor because of bullet selection, minimal recoil, minimal cost, and effectiveness on game. You could AI for a bit more velocity and to eliminate trimming, but you may end up with a rifle that doesn't feed as smoothly as the other two options I listed.

Finish the build with a McMillan Edge fill stock, Shilen, Timney, or Jewel trigger, bottom metal to suit your style, and a Krieger or Bartlein 5R barrel.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
OK So here we go.
I am in the process of designing a custom rifle. It will be used primarily for mountain hunting so I want to0 keep the weight under 7.5-8 lbs if possible while maintaing accuracy, and of course its gotta look good.

For factory contenders I have nawrrowed it down to a WBY Mark V ultra light weight http://www.weatherby.com/product/rif...rkv/ultralight

or a kimber mountain ascent http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/...ountain-ascent available in .308 but soon in 7mm-08 and .260

i know these both are lighter than my minimums.

But I think we can combine our expertise and build a better rifle.

I will check in often and change the componants we are discussing and tell you what we have so far. I am sewrious as a heart attack. The works of us together have a lot of knowledge. If at the end of the "mock" build I like the results I will order componants and post the build.

So lets get the conversation started. First 2 discussion points, calibre and action.

For calibre I am leaning towards either a .257 WBY or any of the .308 based calibres. .308 based should have less recoil but not as much reach. Lets keep it clean. Dont bash if you can help it. Just try and promote the good points of your choice.

Action - 700 or 70 or mauser based? What brand? Why?

Ready, set, go
257 Wby is a laser... I love it but the markup on Wby rifles other than the Vanguards is a bit much.

You might get better bang for your buck with the other one.