Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2020, 01:53 PM

Default Looking for winter tires? Look no further than site sponsor TireBob!

Once again, Bob never fails to create an extremely satisfied customer. I have been shopping and shopping for winter tires, and picking Bob's brain about different brands and changing sizes etc... Anyhow, this morning he gave me a fantastic price on a set of tires that fit my needs and criteria. He is in Calgary, but even went to the trouble of arranging for me to pick them up at a location in St Albert.

Bob goes the extra mile.

Can't say enough good about him.

If you need tires give Bob a call!

Urban Expressions Wheel

Phone: (403) 769-1771
Old 10-22-2020, 01:54 PM

I will second that!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 10-22-2020, 01:58 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

too far unless he wants to come up fishing with a few tires in tow.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-22-2020, 02:50 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Once again, Bob never fails to create an extremely satisfied customer. I have been shopping and shopping for winter tires, and picking Bob's brain about different brands and changing sizes etc... Anyhow, this morning he gave me a fantastic price on a set of tires that fit my needs and criteria. He is in Calgary, but even went to the trouble of arranging for me to pick them up at a location in St Albert.

Bob goes the extra mile.

Urban Expressions Wheel

Thanks for the order man! Glad I was able to help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
too far unless he wants to come up fishing with a few tires in tow.....
Be careful what you wish for... I may take a guy up on such an offer one day! haha!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-22-2020, 05:13 PM

Saw this thread today and gave the number to our niece. Her and her bf were looking all day for winter tires before he headed to work in Ft.Mac. Not able to find them anywhere else but they were in stock and the price was right! They were going to burn down from Sylvan Lake to pick them up.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Saw this thread today and gave the number to our niece. Her and her bf were looking all day for winter tires before he headed to work in Ft.Mac. Not able to find them anywhere else but they were in stock and the price was right! They were going to burn down from Sylvan Lake to pick them up.
Nice!

In these days, it always feels better to support a local businessman like Tirebob.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Bob goes the extra mile.

Urban Expressions Wheel

I have sent a few his way, not sure where it landed but he is honest and worth the recommendations.
WDF
Old 10-23-2020, 11:24 AM

Winter/summer tire for grand cherokee. Bob what do you recommend some brands that meet both good grip on mud/snow, modest wear in summer and not to much road noise. I do not want to put Duratracs on or she will shoot me.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:40 AM

TireBob set me up with a set of these and I expect they'll be great. For the eagle-eyed among you, yes, there's something creative going on.

Old 10-24-2020, 05:07 AM

I see what you did, Caber. It was very creative of you to shade the whitewall name robin's egg blue. You old Picasso you!
Old 10-24-2020, 07:46 AM

Caber where they the 12 month tire recommended by Tire Bob even for your SUV? Where they reasonably quite for road noise?
Old 10-24-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Caber where they the 12 month tire recommended by Tire Bob even for your SUV? Where they reasonably quite for road noise?
The vehicle is a 1 ton dually 4x4 Sprinter van, I run my plumbing service company from it. The tires are LT all-terrains with the winter snowflake rating and they are pinned for studs if one wants (I didn't). They're about as noisy as I'd expect from an AT tire, but aren't obnoxious. With all my tools and inventory in shelves and tool chests in the back there's generally some rattles so noise is a non-factor to me. One thing I noticed with this model of tire after digging into the spec charts of many competing offerings is that they had slightly more (1/32nd) tread depth than others, including the BFG K02 T/A, which (assuming similar rubber compounding) translates to a smidge more tire life before hitting the wear limit.

I'll get to the sizing thing later.

The blue tint over the white lettering is a factory thing (maybe to protect the white lettering?), but they're mounted blackwall-out so that's not the unique thing. More on that later
Old 10-24-2020, 11:42 AM

rims mounted backwards for the front ones, wider traction if fit under the.wheelwells,

Or ?
Old 10-24-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
rims mounted backwards for the front ones, wider traction if fit under the.wheelwells,

Or ?
Dually wheel vs regular 2500 wheel. Previously I removed the front dually hub adapters to run the standard 2500 wheels up front, which are an inch wider and allowed a wider tire figment. I had a size variance from front to back, but with careful selection the two tire sizes were within 1 revolution per mile of each other (654 vs 655 revolutions per mile, so less than 1/6 of one percent difference, greater difference could be had by inflation pressure variation or tread wear). However I now have the same size on the front. Dealer mechanic told me there was a 2% difference allowable for tire wear in the 4WD system so I was well within that.

When running the different wheel, I kept a dually hub adapter and the relevant fasteners in my shelving in case the need to mount the spare in front arose.

Rear axle: 4 x LT 235/85/16
Front axle: 2 x LT 265/75/16

Presently it’s all LT 235/85/16’s though, no front axle variance.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:07 PM

Here's my life hack for the day:
Book your work truck in for repairs during hunting season, and you get a day off.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Here's my life hack for the day:
Book your work truck in for repairs during hunting season, and you get a day off.
Don’t work for me when it’s the same set of wheels that I’d be taking hunting!
Old 10-24-2020, 12:28 PM

Sweet hunting rig.
And, the best part is, you can drive onto any hutterite land, and they won't look twice at you.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Sweet hunting rig.
And, the best part is, you can drive onto any hutterite land, and they won't look twice at you.
Man, now I gotta get me a black coat with 1980’s shoulder pads and a straw hat! Camo, but different
Old 11-05-2020, 11:59 AM

Well, just got back from my appointment. I'm pretty stoked with my new studded winter tires! They're actually quieter than my duratracs

Super fair pricing and was in and out in no time. Bonus I wasn't expecting was the goodyear rebate!!

I'm taking a roadtrip to Slave Lake, Fort Vermillion, Peace River, and whitecourt in two weeks and these will come in super handy....

Thanks Bob!!
Old 11-05-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Well, just got back from my appointment. I'm pretty stoked with my new studded winter tires! They're actually quieter than my duratracs

Super fair pricing and was in and out in no time. Bonus I wasn't expecting was the goodyear rebate!!

I'm taking a roadtrip to Slave Lake, Fort Vermillion, Peace River, and whitecourt in two weeks and these will come in super handy....

Thanks Bob!!
What did ya get? Inquiring minds want to know
Old 11-05-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
What did ya get? Inquiring minds want to know
Goodyear wintercommands with studs.

From looking at them in person they look like they're going to be awesome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0.jpg (51.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 11-05-2020, 12:43 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Goodyear wintercommands with studs.

From looking at them in person they look like they're going to be awesome.
Hey thanks for the biz sir! I use these tires studded myself on the family SUV and they do an awesome job at balancing great levels of traction with reasonable wear and ride. It is always about what is needed based on the users preferences/needs more than anything and this is a tire that crosses a lot of boxes well rather than the very best at one aspect but far down the list in another.

Don't forget that retorque soon!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-06-2020, 09:13 AM

Another positive plug for tirebob here. Emailed last week and by wednesday my wives beetle ( yes the last year 2019 edition cabriolet) left Bobs with the winter commands and steel based on his advice . Great price and service. Will retorque myself tomorrow.
Bob can't drink beer so I bought the shop boys some ales! Have to send in the rebate email too.
Thanks again!!!!
Old 11-06-2020, 03:58 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Another positive plug for tirebob here. Emailed last week and by wednesday my wives beetle ( yes the last year 2019 edition cabriolet) left Bobs with the winter commands and steel based on his advice . Great price and service. Will retorque myself tomorrow.
Bob can't drink beer so I bought the shop boys some ales! Have to send in the rebate email too.
Thanks again!!!!
Cheers sir! Please let me know your impressions after you get to use them a bit. I use the same ones myself so I know what I think but I always want client feedback as it really helps me making future recommendations for people.

And thanks for thinking of the guys in the back! They really are the unsung heroes this time of year and they bust their humps trying to do a good job so those things really do a lot to lift the spirits when the body and mind are growing tired and knowing their are appreciated goes a long ways.

Thanks for trusting us!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 11-06-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
TireBob set me up with a set of these and I expect they'll be great. For the eagle-eyed among you, yes, there's something creative going on.

Hey! I run those same tires on my Ram 2500 diesel, towing a 8000# 5th wheel. I've had good luck with the Grabbers, better mileage than the BFGs. Same tread pattern, but the Grabbers seems to be slightly harder rubber to me (But I'm not Tirebob so it's just my opinion).

I'll have to contact TB when I get some more funds for a couple of tires for a JKU.

J.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:14 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Hey! I run those same tires on my Ram 2500 diesel, towing a 8000# 5th wheel. I've had good luck with the Grabbers, better mileage than the BFGs. Same tread pattern, but the Grabbers seems to be slightly harder rubber to me (But I'm not Tirebob so it's just my opinion).

I'll have to contact TB when I get some more funds for a couple of tires for a JKU.

J.
No, you kinda hit the nail on the head! lol! They are assuredly a decent tire and many clients report similar experiences...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 11-09-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Cheers sir! Please let me know your impressions after you get to use them a bit. I use the same ones myself so I know what I think but I always want client feedback as it really helps me making future recommendations for people.

And thanks for thinking of the guys in the back! They really are the unsung heroes this time of year and they bust their humps trying to do a good job so those things really do a lot to lift the spirits when the body and mind are growing tired and knowing their are appreciated goes a long ways.

Thanks for trusting us!
Bob I am 6"2 230 so I have not even driven my wives car ( convertible beetle) in the 15 months of ownership!!!!! Don't see that changing. Easy to get in when we put top down.
I will give some feedback after we are out a bit.
Cheers
Old 11-09-2020, 02:18 PM

Hey tirebob, what's the better way to contact you? I am starting considering second set of shoes for my truck, would like a quote, to start.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Hey tirebob, what's the better way to contact you? I am starting considering second set of shoes for my truck, would like a quote, to start.
bob@urbanexp.ca
Old 11-09-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Bob Blakeborough
Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire Inc
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bob@urbanexp.ca
www.urbanexp.ca