Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2012, 09:23 PM

Default I don't suppose anyone wants to share...

their best fishing bookmarks/urls. I am looking for all the must have info. I have my regs but where do you go for lure advice, fishing conditions, recipes, etc...

Thanks guys.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:27 PM

What species do you fish for? And how do you fish?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:40 PM

Do a search on here and google first. Then post questions here.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 PM

Well, I am just getting into fishing. I have 2 rods, one with a spinning reel and the other with a bait casting reel. I am going to have to stick mostly to rivers as I have no boat. I am going to try and catch anything legal and edible. I hope for walleye, trout and Jack(N Pike). I live in Trochu AB, near the Red Deer River Tollman Bridge. I am game for traveling to other nearby fishing grounds.

Can I eat Goldeye? Are they good tasting?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:45 PM

Thanks Deano85. I have already done so.

What I am asking is this:

Are there any experienced anglers willing to share their favorite web sites that make their hobby easier, better, etc...

I am not asking for your secret haunts or anything. But as I am new to angling and new to Alberta are there any web sites, not unlike this one, that are a real boon to anglers.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:13 PM

I think if you go back through the fishing section of this site you will find a ton of info. Just us the search, and search out places you'd like to fish, or search species and get the info that way. I don't think you'll find any site that has as much Alberta specific info as this one. I don't know of many people that will eat Goldeye unless they are smoked, they are a very oily fish, walleye and perch seem to be favorites, but I like pike and whitefish too. Trout are a favorite of some but for me are a little on the fishy side. Not sure as to what is available for fishing in your area, but I'm sure the Red Deer can keep you ocuppied for a while. If you make youself friendly when your out I'm sure you will run into people that will be willing to help you out, who knows you may meet a new fishing buddy. Have fun and good luck!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:31 PM

Default A couple of sites with lots of good information

Spin fishing

http://www.in-fisherman.com/

Fly fishing

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?dir_...64&subject=562

Dace
Old 04-28-2012, 11:34 PM

Thanks Dace!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 AM

If you have an Iphone download the Ifishalberta app. Has all the lakes and a lot of great info.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:49 AM

Another would be gowalleye.com

A southern Alberta site.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:28 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=31662

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-29-2012, 11:26 AM

Here's a few for depth charts that might help you out:

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/MapsPhotos...s/Default.aspx
http://www.anglersatlas.com/mapsearch/

And here is the one for the stocking reports/regs/etc online that you might know already:

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/Default.aspx
Old 04-29-2012, 01:39 PM

Go pick up a berry Mitchell guide at the local 7-11 pick up an in fisherman , and such other magizines and read them lots of good tips for lures , rigs , and sey ups and how to fish them , or subscribe to WFN lots of tips on there to.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 PM

Ive got one good tip for you......If you are just getting into fishing and want the hobby to be enjoyable, Return your baitcasting reel and then choke the shat out of the guy that sold it to you.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. Some great links and advice in here. Please keep it coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariko's Rod View Post
Ive got one good tip for you......If you are just getting into fishing and want the hobby to be enjoyable, Return your baitcasting reel and then choke the shat out of the guy that sold it to you.
Would you mind expanding? Seems like a real nice rig. No pun intended. And it's not that I have never fished it's just going to be the first time as an adult. I grew up fishing with my dad but I haven't had a license in 12 years or so. And I have never fished in Alberta.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndHike View Post
Thanks for all the help guys. Some great links and advice in here. Please keep it coming.

Would you mind expanding? Seems like a real nice rig. No pun intended. And it's not that I have never fished it's just going to be the first time as an adult. I grew up fishing with my dad but I haven't had a license in 12 years or so. And I have never fished in Alberta.
baitcasters aren't the easiest to operate, I think the assumption was that you are new to fishing, which would have been a terrible suggestion from a salesman to set you up with that.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:59 PM

I guess that makes sense. To be fair to the salesman. He asked if I have ever used one, then told me it wasn't the easiest to use when I told him no. He then put one together and attached a practice lure and showed me how to cast and adjust the settings on it. He spent a good 40 minutes with me, teaching me and picking out the right rig. He even threw in free line and spooled it for me. It may take me a while to get the hang of it but that is fine. I just wanted a good rig and honestly spinning reels drive me bonkers. I tried them both in the store.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Banned

Cool

M&H if you ever get to olds gime a heads up. I can help you set your bait caster and give some insight to the local waters. I will be making a trip to tolman bridge later in may if you wish to come along.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 PM

Fish gunner that sounds great. I get to olds pretty often. I was just looking at the RDR by sundre on google maps today and thinking I might have to give it a try. If I read my regs right it is open right now. And if you are heading to tolman bridge fire me a PM and as long as I am free I will be there.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Banned

Cool

yes the upper red deer is open. right now it is high and dirty. I usually wait till late june to venture up to ya ha tinda. most spots near sundre get poached hard. some good white fish to be had in fall. just above town. hope that helps.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:47 PM

That does help a lot. I have the 14th off and am planning to spend opening day out by tollman. I will probably hike up or down the river depending how busy it is. Not to worried about catching, just want to get some good practice with the rig. Although if the water is dirty I might be able to coax a walleye or two onto my line. Then again, I might not.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndHike View Post
That does help a lot. I have the 14th off and am planning to spend opening day out by tollman. I will probably hike up or down the river depending how busy it is. Not to worried about catching, just want to get some good practice with the rig. Although if the water is dirty I might be able to coax a walleye or two onto my line. Then again, I might not.
You're gonna make a fine fisherman Mike. Nice to see your enthusiasm.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 AM

Thanks Tacklerunner I am going to try my best.

Gotta say there are a ton of real nice guys on here. Thanks for sharing and helping me out. Can't wait until I can pay it forward.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Go pick up a berry Mitchell guide at the local 7-11 pick up an in fisherman , and such other magizines and read them lots of good tips for lures , rigs , and sey ups and how to fish them , or subscribe to WFN lots of tips on there to.
Best advise yet, most usefull tool for fishing alberta invented by man. Second best advice was to return the baitcaster a flyrod or an ultralight rig will better enhance your fishing experience than a baitcaster IMO.

Other than that.. jigs for walleye, spoons and spinnerbaits for pike, small spinners and bait under bobbers for trout, whites, and goldeye.

Sounds like you'll be fishing rivers so I'll say it again, under most situations a lure swung in the current will catch more fish than one that is reeled in. Cast your lure across, or quartering downstream and let the current swing it in towards shore, then reel it back upstream. Most strikes will occur as the lure swings across the seam where fast and slow currents meet. The most predictable place to find current edges and eddys are around bends. Often there will be a hole on either the upstream or downstream side, the outside of the bend will almost always have deep water the fish might be in any of these places depending on the situation. Have fun!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Thanks Cal. That is a lot of good info. I will definitely try out that lure placement. I am a little intimidated by fly fishing. If I had someone to teach me I would try it out maybe. I will pick up a Mitchell Guide tonight when I run errands. Thanks again.