Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2009, 11:40 AM

Default Deer west of Whitecourt? (349)

Hi all,

While bear hunting in spring in unit 349 west of Whitecourt I saw a good number of deer (mulies and WT) and could easily have shot 2 or 3 in a day and half.

I went back there this weekend to have a look....

The bush was thick, so that made life difficult but apart from a VERY skittish WT doe, I saw, heard, jumped or flushed nothing. I cruised, glassed, still-hunted cut blocks - nada.

Does anyone ever hunt deer out there successfully?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 11:53 AM

Thumbs up

That is a awsome area for deer,and there has been some great bucks taken from that zone.I would say that this weather has a lot to do with the lack of deer movement in those cut blocks.There is a lot of feed combined with warm temps,the deer don't need to travel much out in the open.I like to hunt them big bush bucks in November,seems to be more activity then.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:00 PM

Hmmm....

I did see some good sign, lots of tracks and as I said there were loads in the spring.

I am not a star-hunter but can at least usually get some 'action', yesterday was poor though. I also thought the full moon might also have made it difficult.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:13 PM

I noticed the same thing actually, saw literally one very skittish WT doe all day. Was NW of Whitecourt. I did see quite a few grouse, though they were pretty skittish as well.

Guess yesterday was just not our day up there. Hopefully next Saturday will be better
Old 10-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Bummer!
They are there...lots of tracks and I saw some fresh droppings but nothing like the ease with which I could have taken deer in May!!!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 02:44 PM

Default 349

I think I am going to head out that way next weekend to see what I can track down. I have been pretty lucky in the last 5 years out there but I have definitely seen the days when it is hit and miss. Hopefully this weather drops some of the leaves and helps the deer decide to move.

Morb
Old 10-04-2009, 03:41 PM

I hope so!

I mean even you bungle along you normally still jump some deer, see a WT flag-you and disappear etc but yesterday was zilch!

I also asked this question as some guys have said they would never go up there for deer...

Oh well, thats why its called hunting, not shopping!
Old 10-04-2009, 05:49 PM

Default 349

Yeah I like going up there for deer in September and October. Seems to be lots of them kicking around if you take the time and get out there. A little bit of a drive for me but I get out hunting so you can't really complain. I have heard there are some decent elk numbers up there. Any advice or information about that would be great as well.

Well if I manage to get out there next weekend I will definitely let you know what I found and where I found them if it would help.

Morb
Old 10-04-2009, 07:20 PM

Not sure exactly where they were but a buddy of mine and his friend we up by Whitecourt today. Seen 7-8 does managed to harvest one.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:51 PM

Keep at`er boys...towards Nov will be better...there are alot of deer in them there hills!
Old 10-04-2009, 08:40 PM

Those northern deer herds have taken a beating the last few years. A lot less of them around. Maybe this year is not different after a tough winter last year .
Old 10-04-2009, 11:13 PM

yeah me and one of my buddies were out hunting last weekend and saw lots of deer, even gota shot at a nice 5x6 but no luck. then when we went back yesterday we didn't even see a deer.