Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-29-2013, 09:01 PM

Default fish camera spook fish?

got the marcum 380 with free panner
anyone have any issues with their underwater cams spooking fish?
so far very impressed with quality of the the unit and the remote panner is awesome...not sure about the light on the cam havent been out passed dark...
Old 12-29-2013, 09:59 PM

I think I had just about every species of fish rub up against the camera. Also had a walleye laying right on the bottom between my camera and hook for a solid 2-3 hrs....I think it fell asleep. I don't think it spooks them at all and mine is the old, old aqua view that doesn't have the replica fish as the camera but just a round black lens on a cable...
Old 12-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Banned

I get more whites without the lx9 down.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:44 AM

I have had my fish TV spook rainbows, also seemed to slow down some brookies the other day too.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 PM

Seems to only spook whitefish in my experience. Might help with the light off. Love having a camera in general it's so much fun watching them I don't mind so much when I get skunked. Also much better success rate and I suspect any hooking mortality is greatly reduced.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:13 PM

Have has several pike big and small checking out the cam....often giving it a bite and shake
Old 01-03-2014, 06:34 PM

remember its unlawful to :Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling. This includes visible lights that are emitted by underwater cameras.

just a heads up
Old 01-03-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanstroyer View Post
remember its unlawful to :Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling. This includes visible lights that are emitted by underwater cameras.

just a heads up
I would be very surprised if anyone ever has received a ticket for the lights on their underwater fish cam. Or if anyone would in the future for that matter.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:14 PM

my camera looks like a big perch, Ive had pike try and run away with it, had a perch try to have its way with it the other day, had walleye checking it out up close, and even whites looking at it up close and personal. might spook the odd fish, but if I find its doing that I just point it down the hole instead of having it near the bottom, seems to bother them less when they are being fussy.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Banned

I have had jacks try to bite the camera on my fishTV,
Old 01-03-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:

just a heads up
100% Wrong, If its a white light on your camera, then yes, But the underwater lighting systems on Marcum cameras are 100% Legal to use, The lights are designed so the fish are not attracted nor see them at all.

I've looked into this many times myself ! I have even had Officers look at my camera and say the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 PM

I've fished a few hundred hours with a fish cam and i dont think it makes much of a difference in spooking fish. they like to rub on it or sometimes "take it for a ride in their mouth". if i was on a tentative walleye bite i might consider pulling up the cam. also, even if your cam hole is 4-6 feet away from your lure and a big pike takes it, be prepared to tangle with the cam line. its wise to pull up that wire if you have a big fish on.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
100% Wrong, If its a white light on your camera, then yes, But the underwater lighting systems on Marcum cameras are 100% Legal to use, The lights are designed so the fish are not attracted nor see them at all.

I've looked into this many times myself ! I have even had Officers look at my camera and say the same thing.
visible light illegal, infrared legal . lights arent worth a crap anyways, when you need them most of the time they reflect all the particles in the water and mess up your view anyways, at least around here

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-03-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
visible light illegal, infrared legal . lights arent worth a crap anyways, when you need them most of the time they reflect all the particles in the water and mess up your view anyways, at least around here
Yup, this is exactly it.

But I usually am fishing sometimes at 4:30 in the morning, and I find that the light is a great help in showing which direction the cam is facing, and also it helps see any kind of weeds down on the bottom for finding the right holes.

Besides that, Pretty useless anyway lol

Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
agreed. lights are useless unless you want to watch the crayfish clean the scraps at night... wich can be quite entertaining.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:

lol, you guys know it all hey, i copied and pasted that directley from the regulations
Old 01-04-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
lol, you guys know it all hey, i copied and pasted that directley from the regulations
I knew I knew a lot , But didn't think everything, Thanks ! lol

Its the type of light u are using, Any visible light is Illigal, But All Marcum Cams are Infared lighting technology And are 100% perfectly legal to use ! Look it up, I wil be waiting !

Old 01-04-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I knew I knew a lot , But didn't think everything, Thanks ! lol

Its the type of light u are using, Any visible light is Illigal, But All Marcum Cams are Infared lighting technology And are 100% perfectly legal to use ! Look it up, I wil be waiting !
okay so you agree with my first post now? you said it was 100% wrong. i did not ask what type of light was being used, nor do i care. I was just quoting the regs as a friendly heads up. maybe you should re read what my original post says and rethink your comments that followed
Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
okay so you agree with my first post now? you said it was 100% wrong. i did not ask what type of light was being used, nor do i care. I was just quoting the regs as a friendly heads up. maybe you should re read what my original post says and rethink your comments that followed
Lol, You say Lighting is illegal, And your wrong, That's what I said, And then WC followed up with a very informative post about Which type of lighting is Legal And which are illegal,

However like I said, Your Wrong, Shining a light down your hole is Illigal, Having a camera with a lighting system that most come with are not illegal !

Anyways man, Tight Lines, ! Lets go fishing ! lol

EDIT.... I Guess if you hook up a home made Lighting on your cams, Then yes, But if you use the ones that you can buy for cameras, You are in the right!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:

just a heads up

it doesnt say all lights, just visible.

edit: yeah thats what i thought! YOUR WRONG! IM RIGHT.

maybe take the time to read and understand a post before calling someone else out as being wrong. you fit the typical albertan stereotype so well. the first reply made you look ignorant, the ones that followed just make you look like a fool

Last edited by deanstroyer; 01-04-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
it doesnt say all lights, just visible.

edit: yeah thats what i thought! YOUR WRONG! IM RIGHT.

maybe take the time to read and understand a post before calling someone else out as being wrong. you fit the typical albertan stereotype so well. the first reply made you look ignorant, the ones that followed just make you look like a fool
Marcum used to sell a camera with visible light (red, green). They have been discontinued for years but probably still a few out there. The law was you could still use them, but just for looking, when you dropped a hook down the hole the colored lights had to be turned off.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
You were correct with your post. CB is not always right and should indeed reread your post. And is incorrect about Marcum cameras as well(some Marcum cameras have the ability to use visible light too-use then would be illegal)!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 01-04-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
You were correct with your post. CB is not always right and should indeed reread your post. And is incorrect about Marcum cameras as well(some Marcum cameras have the ability to use visible light too-use then would be illegal)!
Ok, Ok , Calm down there ladies , LOl

I was just looking at TFH and they have one cam that has illegal lights on it, Visible light That is,one cheaper model has White LED light on it which are Illegal , However all the higher end models had Blue or infrared lighting which is perfectly legal ,

I simply Pointed out the Fact that he was wrong about Saying using Lighting Systems on cameras, " YES he did Put VISIBLE LIGHTS" , Now most people are gonna read on past that and think lights on a camera are illegal because its visible to our eyes, When in fact they may be to ours, but not to the fish !

Just pointing out, Yes you can use lights just have to make sure its the right type, And Pointed out the technicalities about usning lights,

But really People, You can drag this out all day long, I don't give a *#%^ what you say , as you don't give a *#%^ about what I say . Man some people will just poke and poke and beat something to death...

LIGHTS ARE OK ON CAMS , DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND FIND OUT WHICH ARE GOOD, WHICH ARE BAD

But in the long run, I have found my lights on my Cameras almost Useless , Not really any use for them except deep dark water fishing !

As for MARCUM , Marcum used to make a model that was discontinued way way back when , And yes that system is Illigal to use that lighting, However, I said MARCUM DOES NOT MAKE A CAM WITH ILLIGAL LIGHTS<

Which is true !

Old 01-04-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Which one ? NONE !

http://www.rapala.com/Rapala/Gifts/B...&prefv1=MarCum

Old 01-04-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:

I was just looking at TFH and they have one cam that has illegal lights on it, Visible light That is,one cheaper model has White LED light on it which are Illegal , However all the higher end models had Blue or infrared lighting which is perfectly legal ,

I simply Pointed out the Fact that he was wrong about Saying using Lighting Systems on cameras, " YES he did Put VISIBLE LIGHTS" , Now most people are gonna read on past that and think lights on a camera are illegal because its visible to our eyes, When in fact they may be to ours, but not to the fish !

Just pointing out, Yes you can use lights just have to make sure its the right type, And Pointed out the technicalities about usning lights,

But really People, You can drag this out all day long, I don't give a *#%^ what you say , as you don't give a *#%^ about what I say . Man some people will just poke and poke and beat something to death...

LIGHTS ARE OK ON CAMS , DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND FIND OUT WHICH ARE GOOD, WHICH ARE BAD

But in the long run, I have found my lights on my Cameras almost Useless , Not really any use for them except deep dark water fishing !

As for MARCUM , Marcum used to make a model that was discontinued way way back when , And yes that system is Illigal to use that lighting, However, I said MARCUM DOES NOT MAKE A CAM WITH ILLIGAL LIGHTS<

Which is true !
so ignorant you cant even admit you were wrong, just admit you didnt read the post right.

my post was 100% accurate. if you choose to twist the meaning and say i said something i didnt then thats fine. but keep going , your just making yourself look foolish.

clearly your the one who needs to calm down. ha ha ha
Old 01-04-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Blue LEDs are visible light Only infrared is invisible light
He was not wrong!!!!! He quoted the regs.

Take your own advice

Wrong again.
Which is true !
Note: it does not say visible "white" light in the regs.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
BLUE LED lights!

Go into a dark room, turn on your light(camera) if it brightens the room without looking at the monitor. its visible!

Old 01-04-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Marcum cams don't have WHITE lights ?

Old 01-04-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
No it does not, and that's my point, To Educate on which types of lights are Legal

Old 01-04-2014, 02:28 PM

Exactly go turn your camera on in a dark room. if it lights up the room so you can see it is Visible! If you have to look on the monitor to see anything its invisible.