Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorse Ranch View Post
Not quite true; the managers do their best to fill shifts at regular time, before offering overtime. Mostly they do, at our hospital.

If a nurse is mandated to work on a "slash day off" they must pay OT. Each nurse has 2 scheduled days off per week, same as any other. If a nurse accepts a shift on a day which is not a scheduled off day, they pay straight time.

The staffing shortages being experienced right now are a direct result of the covid mandates.
Is that a result of nurses refusing a Covid Shot?
Old 11-09-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Talking Moose says: Hear Hear!!!!!!
Fixed it for you.
Old 11-09-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
Yeah, I have also heard the more senior nurses go on part time hours, then when they are called in on their "time off" it's paid at Overtime rate even tho they havnt reached 40 hours for the week.

There should be 4, 8 hour shifts a day at all major hospitals, 5 days a week. No Overtime. Anyone that can visit a walk-in clinic is turned away at the desk during regular hours.
You would be incorrect on your assumption of how OT works. I would have to hand the phone to my wife to explain it as I often just tune this stuff out when she talks about it

I can’t say this applies everywhere but the issue in the places my wife has worked is people pulling no shows with BS excuses and BS leave of absence. There is a lack of accountability when it comes to crap employees. This often creates short handed situations and causes people to cover on OT or get mandated to OT. If my memory is correct they also get paid more if mandated

I also see theses no shows and lack of accountability at my work too and it is a non union job. So this is not just an AHS issue

As for your last paragraph I do believe there is a lot of people who waste our healthcare resources and change is needed to address this. I don’t know if I would support your suggestions but change is needed. This is a big issue in Canada in my opinion
Old 11-09-2022, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I doubt that an overhaul of AHS will solve the biggest issue we have in the healthcare system at the moment.

That is, lack of trust in government by health professionals.

After what the government did to those people I am not at all surprised that we have staff shortages.

I know that here several of our nurses left the profession after they were threatened with getting fired for not getting vaccinated.

One of our doctors was given his termination notice for the same reason.
He along with four other doctors sued the government and won.

His termination was rescinded as a result but he lost his clinic privileges in retaliation.

The level of disrespect shown for our doctors and nurses at the height of the pandemic was astounding.
No wonder so many left the profession or the province looking for better treatment.

I realize the government denies this and many people believe them, but I know for fact it happened.

It is why, for the first time in the history of this town our emergency department was closed for several days due to the lack of staff to run it.

Imagine that, no emergency department to deal with car accidents, heart attacks and other bonafide health emergencies.

This is not a minor problem, this is an unmitigated disaster of biblical proportions and there is only once cure.

A total overhaul of government that gives the power back to the people where it rightly belongs.
100%

I'd go a step further and say complete dismantling of all levels of government.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Maybe although it seems more likely that health professionals were so overcome by the work load over Covid… no holidays… essentially forced overtime to help fellow workers that they are just fed up.

Work load hasn’t improved.

Hospitals were slammed and it wasn’t a workers paradise.
So slammed they were churning out dancing TikTok videos lol!
Old 11-09-2022, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
Is that a result of nurses refusing a Covid Shot?
At least partly, yes IMHO. Some who took the jab had adverse reactions (to the shot or to mask-related ailments) which resulted in varying degrees of sick time. At least one other that I know of took long-term stress leave just from dealing with it all.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
At least partly, yes IMHO. Some who took the jab had adverse reactions (to the shot or to mask-related ailments) which resulted in varying degrees of sick time. At least one other that I know of took long-term stress leave just from dealing with it all.
Just a conspiracy theory lol...

https://youtube.com/shorts/JddIXTU5RjE?feature=share
Old 11-10-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Maybe although it seems more likely that health professionals were so overcome by the work load over Covid… no holidays… essentially forced overtime to help fellow workers that they are just fed up.

Work load hasn’t improved.

Hospitals were slammed and it wasn’t a workers paradise.
Yep. It was forced OT. All the time.

No holidays in the future (still that way in some places), holidays booked far in advance were cancelled.

Mandatory night shifts

People denied positions, if they were icu trained, they were forced to stay in icu.

Watch people die, every day.

Get sick at work, putting the health of family at risk, then get told to work while sick.

Get threatened by anti-vax family members of dying patients who “don’t believe in Covid” whatever thats supposed to mean in *******

RCMP and security posted at entrances.

No one signed up to be treated like crap for three years
Old 11-10-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

No holidays in the future (still that way in some places), holidays booked far in advance were cancelled.

Mandatory night shifts

People denied positions, if they were icu trained, they were forced to stay in icu.

Get sick at work, putting the health of family at risk, then get told to work while sick.

Get threatened by anti-vax family members of dying patients who “don’t believe in Covid” whatever thats supposed to mean in *******

That reality is what some miss in their response.

At the same time new nurses in training are in hospitals seeing the chaos.

I felt bad for them all.

I let a nursing student put an NG tube in. May if regretted it after lol but they need to learn.

Also had a nurse who couldn’t take my epidural out because she hasn’t had time to be trained.

When the head nurse came to remove it I asked it my other nurse could be trained. She was happy I asked and we called her in and after me she was now trained to do it in the future.

Did all I could to help the nurses while I was a patient. Least I could do as they were all but one… excellent.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-10-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Mandatory night shifts

And that's only a partial list. It's going to take a very long time for this to settle down, and someone coming in with a big hammer and laughable medical understanding is a not a great way to start.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I find it confusing that anyone could be a working professional in a medical field and claim to have a "mask related ailment". From the very first day of your multi year long training you put masks on and off, ALL DAY LONG, EVERY DAY. These things are not new.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I find it confusing that anyone could be a working professional in a medical field and claim to have a "mask related ailment". From the very first day of your multi year long training you put masks on and off, ALL DAY LONG, EVERY DAY. These things are not new.
There’s a couple:

Pressure ulcers from wearing N95s too long

Bacterial and fungal infections from wearing contaminated masks (not common in AHS, this was more in the US and in the general public)

There is also small subsection of the population that has an intense feeling of suffocation when the nose and mouth are covered. These people, if they go scuba diving and get a little anxious, will actually rip the regulator out and drown. It’s a deep rooted survival instinct generated in the amygdala, so it does not require conscious thought or decision making to provoke action. Unfortunately it does not enhance survival underwater. I’m pretty sure some of the insane objection to masking has it’s roots in this.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
There’s a couple:

Pressure ulcers from wearing N95s too long

Bacterial and fungal infections from wearing contaminated masks (not common in AHS, this was more in the US and in the general public)

There is also small subsection of the population that has an intense feeling of suffocation when the nose and mouth are covered. These people, if they go scuba diving and get a little anxious, will actually rip the regulator out and drown. It’s a deep rooted survival instinct generated in the amygdala, so it does not require conscious thought or decision making to provoke action. Unfortunately it does not enhance survival underwater. I’m pretty sure some of the insane objection to masking has its roots in this.
Absolutely there are some that panic when anything covers their face, but those people get thinned out very early in training. It's always been that if you want to work in health care you will have to wear masks on occasion. It's a psychological issue, not a physical one.
Pressure sores are a completely different animal and only occur cuz you've been wearing them so much, and why pappers have been so popular (and expensive).
Bacterial/viral infections from a mask I've never heard of anyone actually getting one, but I guess it's theoretically possible. Change your mask more often, just like we've always been told.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridger2010 View Post
So slammed they were churning out dancing TikTok videos lol!
SHHHHH.... don't upset the wine cart.

(whine ) for the spelling police, just didn't have the same ring to it
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Absolutely there are some that panic when anything covers their face, but those people get thinned out very early in training. It's always been that if you want to work in health care you will have to wear masks on occasion. It's a psychological issue, not a physical one.
Pressure sores are a completely different animal and only occur cuz you've been wearing them so much, and why pappers have been so popular (and expensive).
Bacterial/viral infections from a mask I've never heard of anyone actually getting one, but I guess it's theoretically possible. Change your mask more often, just like we've always been told.
Friend of mine has been a nurse for a long time and nearing retirement.

Some find pressure points behind the ears become more and more problematic and have tried different ways to keep them on. It has to fit and stay on. She doesn’t complain at work and toughs it out but I could see how it would impact work if uncomfortable all day every day. Some needed even more face protection.

I’ve worn a mask on a 9 hour flight and it drive me nuts lol.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-10-2022, 10:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I don't think the mask complaints were the real issue. I think what they were, was the only thing hospital staff could safely complain about.

No one dared complain about adverse reactions to the Covid shot, not when they knew doctors were being fired for refusing that shot.

Clearly complaints about the shot were off limits.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-10-2022, 02:12 PM

Old 11-10-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange View Post
My kid just graduated this spring with a BA in nursing, and just passed her NCLEX exam to be a RN. Back to the OP's comments, her take is that not some days, or most days, but every day, she can't take a break during her shift at a local hospital. Not even to pee. As she put it, "if I take a break, someone doesn't get a bath", or "someone doesn't get something". Stopping for lunch? Dinner? hahaha, ya right.

AHS does not have the funding from the Province to staff appropriately given the change in health requirements that our province now requires in the covid-flu-rsv era. Coming from a family where 50% of my family is in health care, we're all convinced that the province is funding health care just enough to let it fail, and then institute private care, further. ie, they're letting it fail on purpose, to achieve their partisan goals. Smith will hasten this failure.

Given my handle, you probably know how I vote.
I'm curious if you think that the under funding issue is limited to Alberta because it seems to be present across Canada even under NDP governments. So are all provincial governments purposely crashing the system? If so it might explain the poor performance, but it is more likely a systemic adherence to the principle of universal health care without the benefit of patient choice in care. Almost every modern country in the world offers private options and consequently have more beds/care givers per capita and shorter wait times for treatment (and usually at lower cost).
Old 11-10-2022, 08:26 PM

NDP might win because Ms. Smith has inserted herself into her own echo chamber. She is listening to the loudest voices only.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-10-2022, 08:56 PM

If Smith drops all the lockdown charges against pastors, truckers, restaurant owners, etc (supported by 73% of conservatives, according to poll) then she would easily win the election in May
She be the De Santis of Alberta
Not a chance that Notley will come in.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange View Post
My kid just graduated this spring with a BA in nursing, and just passed her NCLEX exam to be a RN. Back to the OP's comments, her take is that not some days, or most days, but every day, she can't take a break during her shift at a local hospital. Not even to pee. As she put it, "if I take a break, someone doesn't get a bath", or "someone doesn't get something". Stopping for lunch? Dinner? hahaha, ya right.

AHS does not have the funding from the Province to staff appropriately given the change in health requirements that our province now requires in the covid-flu-rsv era. Coming from a family where 50% of my family is in health care, we're all convinced that the province is funding health care just enough to let it fail, and then institute private care, further. ie, they're letting it fail on purpose, to achieve their partisan goals. Smith will hasten this failure.

Given my handle, you probably know how I vote.
Welcome to being low person on the totem pole. Having no experience in working for AHS, I can only assume that it is like most other roles in that the young greenhorns are expected to earn their stripes. If she is not getting her earned coffee breaks, she may want to discuss with her union rep...

My guess is that she is busting her tail as a newbie while most other "experienced" nurses take an extended coffee break to choreograph the new tiktok dance or post on their InstaSnapFace how the conservative party is destroying the healthcare profession. If every nurse worked as hard as your daughter with no breaks, my guess is that the OP wouldn't have been waiting hours to get into emerg.

DR
Old 11-10-2022, 10:11 PM

Amazing!
Old 11-12-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
If Smith drops all the lockdown charges against pastors, truckers, restaurant owners, etc (supported by 73% of conservatives, according to poll) then she would easily win the election in May
Except De Santais is actually likeable. Smith is very unlikable.

Keep in mind most eligible voters don’t even vote. Progressives have turned politics and voting into a personality trait. It’s a cult of personality for them. Nearly every progressive leaning Albertan will show up to vote for Notley, while the conservative leaning majority sits at home because Danielle doesn’t really do it for them.
Old 11-12-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
You are missing a lot of the equation. We all get locked into our little group of friends and miss what others are feeling. But to think that dropping lockdown charges will swing the vote, no you are not feeling the province.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-12-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Welcome to being low person on the totem pole. Having no experience in working for AHS, I can only assume that it is like most other roles in that the young greenhorns are expected to earn their stripes. If she is not getting her earned coffee breaks, she may want to discuss with her union rep...

My guess is that she is busting her tail as a newbie while most other "experienced" nurses take an extended coffee break to choreograph the new tiktok dance or post on their InstaSnapFace how the conservative party is destroying the healthcare profession. If every nurse worked as hard as your daughter with no breaks, my guess is that the OP wouldn't have been waiting hours to get into emerg.

DR
I know nurses who are far from the lowest on the totem pole... it's like that regardless.

The disdain for nurses here is shocking. Sometimes I find it crazy how often the nurses I know talk about how badly they're treated by patients & their families, but browsing this thread I need no further assurance...
Old 11-12-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I know nurses who are far from the lowest on the totem pole... it's like that regardless.

The disdain for nurses here is shocking. Sometimes I find it crazy how often the nurses I know talk about how badly they're treated by patients & their families, but browsing this thread I need no further assurance...
Really it depends on the facility they work at when it comes to how busy their work day is. There is definitely those who do work like dogs and others who slack it whenever they can. It’s the same in every field not just nursing or healthcare for that matter

I have lots of friends and family in healthcare across multiple provinces and countries. The work load nurses have to deal with varies a lot depending on location and facility. Often those in hospitals in larger cities are hit with a heavier work loads do to the higher volume of traffic. Meanwhile those in smaller facilities can have a lighter work load just because they don’t see the same traffic

I have no disdain for nurses and I am only stating facts
Old 11-12-2022, 05:41 PM

No one has disdain for nurses.
Old 11-12-2022, 05:41 PM

if you are really interested in why there is a nursing shortage here's a short study of what the nurses say, basically this shortage was a long time coming and Covid or no Covid the staffing issue has been on a long slide for some time.
Interesting info on overtime and mandated overtime also.

https://nursesunions.ca/wp-content/u...guide_comp.pdf
Old 11-12-2022, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
No one has disdain for nurses.
Correct. My mother and grandmother were both nurses. I have the utmost respect for the profession as does anyone else I know. When someone is of the opinion AHS is a mess, it certainly does not mean a disdain for nurses.
Seems just a CBC twist of a posters opinion
Old 11-13-2022, 09:13 AM

I think the thread title should of been

“What can the UCP do to ensure re-election”

Healthcare improvements are definitely a key concern for people.

Structured, strategic, transparent and well thought out measured approach is key.

It does seem the easiest targets would be to remove any upper management bloat.

Shore up front lines with enough staff to reduce over working stress loads

Speed up surgical wait list lines. My understanding is that there are empty surgical rooms… so why not contract in some top US surgeons to strategically target some surgery wait list issues like hip and knee transplants.

Heard from staff that a lot of time is being used up in hospitals by drug addicts either over dosing or looking for prescriptions. Some money needs to go towards addressing this. I’d say re-introducing consequences for drug use such as jail to put people there instead of hospitals. In other words rather than enable open drug use… punish in a prison environment with programs to kick the addiction.