Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 PM

Default quadder vs quadder

Huntingbrain(less)....

It wuz you that was previously complaining about the 400 trails being all boarded up. Thanks for admitting you are responsible for breaking the law by blowing past these trail gates (or perhaps ripping out the posts...)
I'd love to meet you in person some day to put a face face on all the frustration most of us feel at the abuse and degredation that is happening by the quadding community. Your ignorance will hurt us all.

450.... I'm afraid that mr. HOTB is overrepresented in your community (quadders). .. you'll all be regulated out of the area soon enough (the gov't is accepting more and more research that points to quads being banned from the area).

I really hope that we hunters don't get banned along with you.

thanks for peeing in the pool guys.

bd
Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loper View Post
Off-highway vehicles and weapons

120(1) Repealed AR 159/2006 s8.

(2) Subject to subsection (3), a person shall not transport a weapon in, on or by means of an off‑highway vehicle between one hour before sunrise and 12 noon during an open season for the hunting of big game in any of wildlife management units 102 to 166, 200 to 260, 300 to 351, 354 to 360, 400 to 446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 or 841.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply

(a) to the holder of an off‑highway vehicle permit or a weapons discharge permit,

(b) to a person who, apart from the holder of such a permit, is the only person in or on the vehicle and who is accompanying that permit holder for the purpose of assisting him to hunt,

(c) to a person who is hunting

(i) on privately owned land, or

(ii) under the authority of a registered fur management licence or a resident fur management licence,

(d) in an area and during a period when the only big game season that is open in that area is the spring black bear season, or

(e) to a person who is travelling on a direct route between a location that is readily accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his campsite at a location that is not so accessible where

(i) the weapon is in a case, box or other compartment that is locked, and

(ii) any ammunition that is carried is stored separate from any firearm in a case, box or other compartment that is locked.
if you are HUNTING can or can you not carry a gn on you quad in those wmu,s im confused i thought it was illegal to carry a gun on your quad for hunting in those zones before noon? You cant carry a gun on your quad for protection then?????
Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Huntingbrain(less)....

It wuz you that was previously complaining about the 400 trails being all boarded up. Thanks for admitting you are responsible for breaking the law by blowing past these trail gates (or perhaps ripping out the posts...)
I'd love to meet you in person some day to put a face face on all the frustration most of us feel at the abuse and degredation that is happening by the quadding community. Your ignorance will hurt us all.

450.... I'm afraid that mr. HOTB is overrepresented in your community (quadders). .. you'll all be regulated out of the area soon enough (the gov't is accepting more and more research that points to quads being banned from the area).

bd
I'm only admitting to willingly do what it takes to get my animal out of the bush. If you can't read, I walk just like the rest of you in and out of the bush. So don't put the blame on me for other peoples ignorance in areas I haven't even been in. Yes I'm against it, i'm just open about it.
Unless you have proof of your claims, your the one ****ing in the wind!
I may as well start a rumor that your a rapist!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 PM

I just noticed a pattern here. I fenced my quarter, posted it, put a gate on the oilfield access road (without a lock), and now the quadders just open the gate and drive the perimeter fence line( no way out other than the unlocked gate ), come out, and re-close the gate. I was thinking that maybe its a small percentage that are illiterate, but the gate concept should be universal I would think.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
if you are HUNTING can or can you not carry a gn on you quad in those wmu,s im confused i thought it was illegal to carry a gun on your quad for hunting in those zones before noon? You cant carry a gun on your quad for protection then?????
anyone have a clear definition?
Old 09-23-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
the regulations dont seem to state these subsections so im wondering where this comes from?
Old 09-24-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
the regulations dont seem to state these subsections so im wondering where this comes from?
The hunting guide(that you are likely referring to as the regulations) is only a brief summary of the regulations.If you want to see all of the regulations,you need to look at the game act,and the firearms act.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:11 PM

Default have you noticed??

last post on this one..

HOTHBrain.....

notice no one coming to your defence......?

Re-read your posts. I will translate for you if you don;t see it:

"I am willing to break the law to get at animals.. I am not smart enough to
realize that 'no motorized vehicles zones' include me... so If I hunt there and shoot something way back in the bush... I find friends and pack out the critter via horse, permission, or good ole fashioned leg power"

Again.... unfortunately, your actions and postshurt us all.

Let me go a step further here...... you PM me and I'll give you my cell number.... if yer in 400 and you have an animal down. I'll come out with 2 packframes and some buds and help you pack it out.... if its 20+k no prob. I've done it b4.

or is it more manly to break the law and quad it out.

ps.... I'll help anyone else out that is in serious need as well. Its what fellow hunters should do IMHO.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingonthebrain View Post
I will always walk in to my spot in the dark...but if I get an animal down I will always quad in to get it...anywhere I need to even past gates. I think the gates are there to keep the numbers down (sheep hunters) from getting to the back.
I can't belive that you would actually have the gall to write that on here. I can forgive the ignorant people, that honestly don't know any better, but to say that you know better and you still will screw it up for the rest of us makes me boil. You, and the guys like you, are the ones that should have the book thrown at you and fined up the ying yang. It's that mentality that wrecks it for everybody, all groups, be it rec. quadders, fisherpeople, and hunters.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
last post on this one..

HOTHBrain.....

notice no one coming to your defence......?

Re-read your posts. I will translate for you if you don;t see it:

"I am willing to break the law to get at animals.. I am not smart enough to
realize that 'no motorized vehicles zones' include me... so If I hunt there and shoot something way back in the bush... I find friends and pack out the critter via horse, permission, or good ole fashioned leg power"

Again.... unfortunately, your actions and postshurt us all.

Let me go a step further here...... you PM me and I'll give you my cell number.... if yer in 400 and you have an animal down. I'll come out with 2 packframes and some buds and help you pack it out.... if its 20+k no prob. I've done it b4.

or is it more manly to break the law and quad it out.

ps.... I'll help anyone else out that is in serious need as well. Its what fellow hunters should do IMHO.
Now THAT is a damned manly post!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:48 PM

Fine you win. I have not gone past the gates with my quad before and I won't start now. I am just apposed to the gates being there in the first place. I prefer to get my game out the 'easy' way, but who wouldn't?
I wasn't sure of the position that many of you feel about the gates and now I do. As a collective I see that there are a lot of emotions towards atv's and off limits areas in wmu 400 in particular.
I'll stay out as I have in the past, only because of the peer pressure and passion I have seen here.
I also have a frame pack and i'll take it out of mothballs.

My intention was not to offend but to gather information on how passionate people are about thier stand on this topic is. I have talked to many hunters about this topic and have had seen both sides argued.
I agree and see where you are coming from in some ways...but some laws don't make sense to me.

I hope the 'ani-atvers' here can live with the new age of atv's in the mountains...

Good luck hunting this fall and I look forward to your stories!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Mr. Magoo

Default Manly

That might be a more manly post.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Huntingbrain(less)....

bd
Whoa Bessie, starting to think you don't like Quadder's....
Old 09-24-2009, 11:29 PM

Default quads,,,,

I have heard of guys hiding there rifles in the bush the evening before so that the next morning they can use there machines to go in, myself I walk or quad when legal.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer View Post
I have heard of guys hiding there rifles in the bush the evening before so that the next morning they can use there machines to go in, myself I walk or quad when legal.
This is my first year hunting (haven't even gone out yet), so I'm not as familiar with some of the issues as I'd like to be.

Would someone please explain to me what the problem is with using an ATV as transportation to get into a hunting spot? Please skip the rants about garbage and mud holes. I'd like to focus on why the responsible use of the machine is such a problem for so many here.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Would someone please explain to me what the problem is with using an ATV as transportation to get into a hunting spot?
The biggest problem is that people don't just use the atv to get to the hunting spot.Many people ride their quad all day hoping to come across an animal,and then shoot it from the atv.In doing so,these people do go off of the trails,they do damage sensitive areas,and they do disrupt other people hunts.Unfortunately,the only way to regulate these people,is to prevent all hunters from using their atvs at certain times.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well I guess you told me! Dang I feel bad for not letting my meat go bad in this hot 'fall' season we are having.

An elk is a big animal and my atv is there to help assist me a-hole.
If you cant handle hunting elk lawfully then dont hunt elk. Hunting isnt for nancyboys.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Fine you win. I have not gone past the gates with my quad before and I won't start now. I am just apposed to the gates being there in the first place. I prefer to get my game out the 'easy' way, but who wouldn't?
I wasn't sure of the position that many of you feel about the gates and now I do. As a collective I see that there are a lot of emotions towards atv's and off limits areas in wmu 400 in particular.
I'll stay out as I have in the past, only because of the peer pressure and passion I have seen here.
I also have a frame pack and i'll take it out of mothballs.

My intention was not to offend but to gather information on how passionate people are about thier stand on this topic is. I have talked to many hunters about this topic and have had seen both sides argued.
I agree and see where you are coming from in some ways...but some laws don't make sense to me.

I hope the 'ani-atvers' here can live with the new age of atv's in the mountains...

Good luck hunting this fall and I look forward to your stories!
Fine you win.........Nope we all win if we play by the rules.

I have not gone past the gates.......Sure wanted us to believe you did.

only because of peer pressure and passion............And maybe cause its the law.

some laws don't make sense to me.........me either but we must abide by them.

I hope all the anti ATVers here can live with the new age of atv's........we can by obeying the rules not by the statements you made in on this forum.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangler View Post
I'd like to focus on why the responsible use of the machine is such a problem for so many here.
Responsible use isn't a problem, the problem is irresponsible and illegal use.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Responsible use isn't a problem, the problem is irresponsible and illegal use.
The illegal use is something that I was questioning in my mind. There are many examples of bad law, so just because something is illegal, doesn't mean that it's justifiably so.

On the face of it, it would seem that ATV use would be a benefit to all. For example, if I've spent two hours walking in to a hunting spot only to find someone else there, it's unlikely that I'll have the time or energy left to continue on for another hour to stay out of your way. Whereas, if I ride in on an ATV to find someone there, it's no problem at all to drive past for another few kilometers.

However, it doesn't take much imagination to see that in a heavily hunted WMU, this could easily result in an ATV driving by every 15 minutes, which is obviously a problem for those already in position.

This seems to be just another one of the problems created as a result of population density. If you get too many people in any area, the potential for conflict becomes very high. Then, in an effort to make others conform to our own way of thinking, we end up with an ever growing list of banned activities until, ultimately, all of us on the fringes of the mainstream are effectively shut down.

The fear I have is that banning ATV use entirely (which many here would like to see) will inevitably reduce the ranks of hunters in total, which makes us weaker as a group, and therefore more vulnerable to those who would dearly love to see hunting banned altogether.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
The illegal use is something that I was questioning in my mind. There are many examples of bad law, so just because something is illegal, doesn't mean that it's justifiably so.

On the face of it, it would seem that ATV use would be a benefit to all. For example, if I've spent two hours walking in to a hunting spot only to find someone else there, it's unlikely that I'll have the time or energy left to continue on for another hour to stay out of your way. Whereas, if I ride in on an ATV to find someone there, it's no problem at all to drive past for another few kilometers.

However, it doesn't take much imagination to see that in a heavily hunted WMU, this could easily result in an ATV driving by every 15 minutes, which is obviously a problem for those already in position.

This seems to be just another one of the problems created as a result of population density. If you get too many people in any area, the potential for conflict becomes very high. Then, in an effort to make others conform to our own way of thinking, we end up with an ever growing list of banned activities until, ultimately, all of us on the fringes of the mainstream are effectively shut down.

The fear I have is that banning ATV use entirely (which many here would like to see) will inevitably reduce the ranks of hunters in total, which makes us weaker as a group, and therefore more vulnerable to those who would dearly love to see hunting banned altogether.
This would lead to more trophy animals. Dirt roads are good enough theres no need for a million trails running through the bush with people roarin down all of them.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S View Post
This would lead to more trophy animals. Dirt roads are good enough theres no need for a million trails running through the bush with people roarin down all of them.
You're making a big assumption that you'd see all of the benefits of a reduced number of hunters, but none of the consequences.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:57 AM

As Bushrat has already stated - it wont be long until ATV access is denied in more mountain/foothil WMU's - they are truly their own worst enemy. I personally will be pretty happy when more zones have no ATV access. If you cant back pack/horse pack/sled/cart your game out - maybe you shouldnt be shooting it in the first place. I know many will disagree with me on that, and thats fine. Its just an opinion.
Until then, I'll stick to the zones I hunt with no ATV access.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:58 PM

Don't be pushing the use of game carts to hard . . . there are some hunting zones in the States that do not allow their use because they are considered "mechanical transport". Before talking about getting rid of ATVs and pushing other ways into and out of the bush, remember your favorite way in and out could be made illegal next.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
You're making a big assumption that you'd see all of the benefits of a reduced number of hunters, but none of the consequences.
I disagree... Hunters respect the animal & environment first... the hunt & the kill 2nd. If it comes down to a choice between not hunting WMU 400, or watching it being destroyed by garbage and mudbogs... Ill choose the first > ANY DAY.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:40 PM

I am quading in. Around 3:45 AM. Early enough that I can be off my quad and do some walking... My intention is to listen for ELK at the time they make noise when the days are 25 degrees.

Kind of a hypocrit, in one sentence you hope they ban quads but yet you ride one.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Kind of a hypocrit, in one sentence you hope they ban quads but yet you ride one.
In one sentence? Which sentence did I say "I hope they ban quads".
Please provide me with the quote and I will be happy to bow out.

No... I was stating that if what it takes to stop the destruction of WMU 400 by SOME of the quadders; means I have to give up riding my quad.. So be it. Its a sad case when the actions of a few limit the lives of so many... But, by the destruction I have seen so far... its a small price to pay to preserve the ecosystem in WMU 400.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:57 PM

WMU 400 is turning into a zoo. I have been a ATV rider for years, and I hope they ban them there. The trails are all being destroyed, I am finding garbage in places no garbage should be... Trails are being cut everywhere... its getting outa hand.

This is your very first post and as I read it you hope they ban them from there!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post

This is your very first post and as I read it you hope they ban them from there!
I really have to start remembering things I wrote.
I will now, not so gracefully bow out!
What I said; I mean. (although tough to follow with all the crow in my mouth)

Good Day
Old 09-29-2009, 04:39 PM

Default Question

I also hunt and have had this happen to myself. But there is no law to say that if your not hunting that you can't ride your ATV, dirt bike and so on before noon. I was stopped by the fed's and they check out my quad that was still on the trailer they asked me where I was going and if I was hunting or just riding because I did not have any camo on. I said I was going hunting and they said that I have better leave the quad on the trailer until noon. I said that for the heads up then asked them what about the people that are out for a day of quadding. How come they don't have to wait until noon and his answer and I quote was because they are not hunters. WOW!!!!!