Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2009, 11:32 PM

Last June (2008) we were camped on the 'bird with horses. Some in our group had quads and would go from camp at the Canary to the east side of the trunk road where it was open to do thier ripping and tearing. This was after talking to the CO and he informed them of where and when they could ride. One of the guys rode up to the end of the road one afternoon and chatted with another group that was loading thier quads. When asked where they were they replied that they had been up to Onion Lake. When confronted with the fact that the Onion Lake Trail was not open to quads for another 2 days, the response was: "***k it, we don't care. We go anyway. If we get caught, we just pay the fine and keep riding." The CO was run ragged that week just trying to stay ahead of people.

It's this kind of attitude that really spoils it for everyone. I have a quad here but it doesn't leave the farm. It is usually hooked to the harrows, a mower or the blade. When I do get out to hunt after it cools off (what's the deal with being the first in the bush on opening day anyway?) because I will most likely be by myself, it will be in the back of my mind that if I shoot an animal, I have the responsibility of getting it out.

As far as using a quad for packing out downed game from a closed area, I think it is pretty simple. If you have the ability to pull the trigger, you better have the ability to get the meat out legally. Hunting in this day and age is a privledge, not a right or an necessity. Our forefathers did it out of necessity and they didn't have the privledge of quads and/or vehicles.