Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2009, 06:14 PM

Default Questions about regs, zones, crown land, ranges

Hello all,

Finally got around to getting a rifle (Browning .308 lever action) and I have some questions. I new to hunting big game in Alberta and I only particpated in a few hunts during high school (Sask) 11-12 years ago. Me a nd a buddy wanted to get into deer hunting. Was hoping to get some answers to questions I can't seem to find clear answers on here on the forum.

1. Can someone explain the crown land thing here in Alberta? I don't really understand where the public land is and what leased land means. Do I have to get permission on land down the forestry trunk road north of waiprous? I found this site, but I'm still confused on this. When do I can to call for permission or can we shoot on this land?

2. We need to site in our rifles. I was hoping that we could find a range to go to, but searching around has found nothing close. I saw that Sibald was flooded out, is that open? Is it open to public? How do we get there?

3. Looking through the regs, in lots of regions (412-424) is where we'd probably like to go. I'll assume I can just go to CT to get a white tail license? It doesn't look like I need to apply through a draw.

4. Does anyone on here near or in Calgary want to join a couple of Alberta rookies (but experienced hunters) to help us figure this all out.

Thanks in advance. I guess with the weather change that I'm pretty much done fishing for a while.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:08 PM

I think I answered #2 myself...http://www.albertarifle.com/homestead.htm
Old 10-04-2009, 07:12 PM

This site will show you where the leased land is:

http://xnet.env.gov.ab.ca/imf/imf.jsp?site=rec_access
Old 10-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Yeah I found that site....but still confused. It's my understanding that the "green" zones west of the forestry trunk road are crown, then if they are leased you can select the place you want to check and call the leaser. So if they aren't leased west of the trunk road, it's OK and public?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Yeah I found that site....but still confused. It's my understanding that the "green" zones west of the forestry trunk road are crown, then if they are leased you can select the place you want to check and call the leaser. So if they aren't leased west of the trunk road, it's OK and public?
yes Its open public access in that case.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:08 PM

OK great. I think I have that figured now. So if I wanted to buy a license for deer for 414 or 416, how do I do that? Was I supposed to apply for a draw or can I just go to CT and get a license?
Old 10-04-2009, 09:19 PM

Here is a link to the regulations.They will tell you what is open in each wmu with a general license,and what species require draw licenses.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/
Old 10-04-2009, 09:29 PM

Figure out which WMU you want to hunt, head to Maptown and buy the corresponding County/Area map(s). You will save yourself a ton of headache!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:01 AM

Thanks for everyone's help. A lot easier than a guy thought.

Question about maps. Can I get any maps for my handhelp GPS (topo maps)? I see some on the garmin site but they are expensive. Does anyone use them and are they worth the money?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Thanks for everyone's help. A lot easier than a guy thought.

Question about maps. Can I get any maps for my handhelp GPS (topo maps)? I see some on the garmin site but they are expensive. Does anyone use them and are they worth the money?
The Garmin topo maps are not bad. They will show you lakes, rivers, some service roads & cutlines. However, they will not show you WMU boundaries or land ownership.

There is a product called "Bushmap" that will show the WMU's, but I don't know of any GPS equivalent to the land owner maps.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:49 AM

I am also new to hunting this year, with a few hunts in the past five years getting me into it. This year I picked up a rifle, and completed all the necessary paperwork to get myself into a variety of game.

From a newbies point of view, memorizing the regs is essential. Getting into land that holds animals can be a challenge, the challenging part being if there are animals there!

The Mussio Adventures books show the hunting zones, and the boundaries are very clear. These have been a massive asset to ensure I am hunting in the correct area. As for crown land maps, I spent a small fortune at maptown, but they are more readily available, and more affordable from the local MD.

I go out about 4 times a week to a few different spots within 2h of Calgary. I have yet to take a shot, but I always see animals. I am always willing to see different areas, if you want to go for a drive this week, PM me. I am going out Tuesday night for certain.

Good luck, although if you are as good at hunting as you are at fishing, I doubt you'll need it.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangler View Post
The Garmin topo maps are not bad. They will show you lakes, rivers, some service roads & cutlines. However, they will not show you WMU boundaries or land ownership.

There is a product called "Bushmap" that will show the WMU's, but I don't know of any GPS equivalent to the land owner maps.
Thanks for the tip. Those Bushmap maps looks awesome, but $250 is too steep this year. I have to buy too much new hunting gear, but will probably pick that up in the next year.