Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-22-2024, 11:11 PM

Default Make it Mandatory

After watching the hunting chanel for a bit,I say its time for the sponsors EG=Sako,Ruger,Savage,Weatherby,Nosler,Hornady,Fede ral,to make the hunters they sponsor profesional marksmen,as in hit certain targets at certain ranges to obtain and or keep the sponsor.They all claim to sell the best products,and most of the shows shooters are less then average to bad.3"-4" group is horrible and i have seen so many of them brag up this kinda accuracy.I think making the hunters applying for or keeping there sponsors should be certified marksmen.Wouldnt this be better for all hunters overvall and the name we all carry.Sorry if this is not written the best,kinda pee'd off and rattled at what i witnessed on a wild chanel program.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:35 AM

I like more rules too. I wish they would just take everyone’s guns away.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-23-2024, 08:11 AM

I don’t care about what distance someone is comfortable shooting or if they are touching bullets doing so

What matters is the know their limits, they make ethical choices on shot selection, and they focus on making clean shots. Don’t care if the hunter is banging everything at under 20yards or is a sniper at 500yards

More times than not it’s nothing to do with ones ability with the weapon at the range but instead poor shot selection in the field. It’s usually nothing to do with distance but instead rushing a shot or poor shot angles

As long as they make realistic ethical choices I am fine with that. I have met plenty of hunters who can punch paper like a champ but suck at making good choices in the field or can’t control buck fever
Old 03-23-2024, 08:25 AM

I think everyone should pass a shooting test before they can buy a hunting tag. If you cant hold sub moa at 100 or moa at 400 no tag for you!

Lets just rule this sport to death.
Old 03-23-2024, 08:50 AM

I think we should have a rule that if you want to rant or gripe, on the forum you should know how to compose a proper sentence and use punctuation and capital letters in the correct place. Maybe we should have a breathalyzer attached to our internet keyboards as well.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, I believe is the proper saying here………

The sarcasm light has been lit……….

There are no absolutes
Old 03-23-2024, 09:05 AM

Default outside factors

Fine and dandy to shoot at paper and achieve bullets touching, but add adrenalin (aka buck fever in some!), or try making the same shot after a 200 yard uphill dash. Attempting to put all the dots in a row to catch it on camera complicates matters even worse.
Know your rifle and know your limits.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I think everyone should pass a shooting test before they can buy a hunting tag. If you cant hold sub moa at 100 or moa at 400 no tag for you!
Well that would get rid of at least 75% of hunters if they were shooting off a bench, if they are shooting offhand it would be pretty much 100%. Heard lots of guys say crap like that then they can't do it themselves.

How about we test you?
Old 03-23-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Well that would get rid of at least 75% of hunters if they were shooting off a bench, if they are shooting offhand it would be pretty much 100%. Heard lots of guys say crap like that then they can't do it themselves.

How about we test you?
I believe his comment was being made sarcastically.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post

Lets just rule this sport to death.
Here is the field test for a moose license in Sweden.
There is also a test for a shotgun license.
Cat
Precision Shooting
In precision shooting, the sampler’s ability to shoot two tight match pictures of four shots
each is examined. The first shooting series the sampler will shoot from a shooting bench
with good support and the other series is shot knee standing or sitting down. Shooting
distance should be 80 meters.
To pass requires the bullet holes in each series are fully covered by a circular result image
templates.
Series shot from shooting bench may have up to 12 cm spread.
Series shot knee standing or sitting down may have at most 17 cm spread.
If only one series is approved, the test is failed.
Practical big game rifle test
The practical big game rifle includes -
1. Shooting at a stationary moosefigure/target
2.Shooting at running moosefigure/target
Shooting distance is 80 meters.
At the time of the test the sampler may shoot a maximum of 9 series. One series consist of
4 shots, 2 shots at stationary and 2 shots at running target. For series to be approved, all 4
shots should be placed in the result field on the moosefigure/target.
Of these 9 series, at least 3 series must be approved for the test to be approved.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I think we should have a rule that if you want to rant or gripe, on the forum you should know how to compose a proper sentence and use punctuation and capital letters in the correct place.
This!!! First and foremost.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:30 AM

My own talents lie in hitting the front half of a deer real fast at 40 yards, more deliberation is generally required to miss things that I DONT want to hit, than actually putting a bullet in the boiler room...

To be fair though, If I owned Sako or Vortex I wouldn't sponsor me.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-23-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:31 AM

Folks tie success to their egos, that's why so many poor choices are made in the field. For a a few hunters it is just shooting their winter game, that is a whole lot less pressure.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-23-2024, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Here is the field test for a moose license in Sweden.
There is also a test for a shotgun license.
Cat
Precision Shooting
In precision shooting, the sampler’s ability to shoot two tight match pictures of four shots
each is examined. The first shooting series the sampler will shoot from a shooting bench
with good support and the other series is shot knee standing or sitting down. Shooting
distance should be 80 meters.
To pass requires the bullet holes in each series are fully covered by a circular result image
templates.
Series shot from shooting bench may have up to 12 cm spread.
Series shot knee standing or sitting down may have at most 17 cm spread.
If only one series is approved, the test is failed.
Practical big game rifle test
The practical big game rifle includes -
1. Shooting at a stationary moosefigure/target
2.Shooting at running moosefigure/target
Shooting distance is 80 meters.
At the time of the test the sampler may shoot a maximum of 9 series. One series consist of
4 shots, 2 shots at stationary and 2 shots at running target. For series to be approved, all 4
shots should be placed in the result field on the moosefigure/target.
Of these 9 series, at least 3 series must be approved for the test to be approved.
Many North American shooters would fail the moving target part of the course. Europeans definitely focus more training on moving targets than most here do.

The guys doing the driven boar hunts are actually very impressive to watch pick of running boar with clean shots minamal misses
Old 03-23-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Many North American shooters would fail the moving target part of the course. Europeans definitely focus more training on moving targets than most here do.

The guys doing the driven boar hunts are actually very impressive to watch pick of running boar with clean shots minamal misses
Worth mentioning, Sweden had mandatory military service at least into the early 90's IIRC... that in itself would raise the standard quite a bit.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:

A friend of mine lives in Sweden, hunting there is a very big privilege and not cheap, IIRC there is a two year apprenticeship under a liscen4d hunter before you can go out on your own, as well.
Most people could not afford to hunt there, and they are only allowed to own a certain number of firearms, hence the number of combination guns and drilling over there.
Cat
Old 03-23-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
My own talents lie in hitting the front half of a deer real fast at 40 yards, more skill is generally put into NOT hitting sticks than getting the bullet into the boiler room...

Then again, theres a pretty good reason even the most famous bush hunters never got sponsored by Vortex or Sako.
Yup fast shooting, small window, shooting from awkward positions, tough angles and often deer that are walking not completely stationary at close range is the name of the game with most of my hunts. Outside of my antelope(325yards) last year every animal has been under 40yards in the last 7years. Most are taken at 30yards or less

Totally different challenges and set of skills. The ability to break down tough shot angles quickly is a big one for this style of hunting in my opinion
Old 03-23-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Worth mentioning, Sweden had mandatory military service at least into the early 90's IIRC... that in itself would raise the standard quite a bit.
I know a few military guys family included that I would not call good shots lol

Sweden military might be different though
Old 03-23-2024, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
A friend of mine lives in Sweden, hunting there is a very big privilege and not cheap, IIRC there is a two year apprenticeship under a liscen4d hunter before you can go out on your own, as well.
Most people could not afford to hunt there, and they are only allowed to own a certain number of firearms, hence the number of combination guns and drilling over there.
Cat
Totally different world

I think it would be good if hunter Ed had more hands on training but I don’t know if going to the extreme of some European countries would be beneficial
Old 03-23-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Yup fast shooting, small window, shooting from awkward positions, tough angles and often deer that are walking not completely stationary at close range is the name of the game with most of my hunts. Outside of my antelope(325yards) last year every animal has been under 40yards in the last 7years. Most are taken at 30yards or less

Totally different challenges and set of skills. The ability to break down tough shot angles quickly is a big one for this style of hunting in my opinion
My cousin only hunts agricultural areas, and routinely makes shots at distances that I personally would not even consider... the few times he's hunted bush with me his shooting skills (as well as his nerve and sense of direction) have not been up to the challenge.

For some types of hunting sub MOA groups off the bench are somewhat relevant, for other types of hunting not so much.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:57 AM

Practice, practice, and more practice. Same as any sport, if you want to be at the top of your game send a lot of lead downrange.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:16 AM

I am against more restrictions , that being said, I have my own standards for taking new people out hunting. I don't let new shooters shoot past 200 yards, and I like to see them shoot first. When new shooters wanted to hunt waterfowl with us, I set a restriction that they have to come out to skeet and break more than 50% of the targets first.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty50 View Post
Practice, practice, and more practice. Same as any sport, if you want to be at the top of your game send a lot of lead downrange.

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-23-2024, 10:19 AM

Know your limits.

Mine is 300m with a rifle. 40m with a bow.

Im ok with that. I have no desire personally to shoot further.

Those that do I say rock on. Shooting is a great hobby. I fully support it in all ways and styles.

I've been part of the "sponsor gear" users. Leupold, Primos, etc. Good gear. Not a lot of "junk" out there, but you take all their chatter with a grain of salt.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 03-23-2024 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
My cousin only hunts agricultural areas, and routinely makes shots at distances that I personally would not even consider... the few times he's hunted bush with me his shooting skills (as well as his nerve and sense of direction) have not been up to the challenge.

For some types of hunting sub MOA groups off the bench are somewhat relevant, for other types of hunting not so much.
Yup totally different conditions demanding different skill set

I too have taken a few guys out bush hunting and I hear situations that they had where they couldn’t get a shot because of xyz. Now put myself in that situation and I commonly take animals under those conditions. Put me in open country longer shots I will pass on opportunities that person will do without a second thought
Old 03-23-2024, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Know your limits.

Mine is 300m with a rifle. 40m with a bow.

Im ok with that. I have no desire personally to shoot further.

Those that do I say rock on. Shooting is a great hobby. I fully support it in all ways and styles.

I've been part of the "sponsor gear" users. Leupold, Primos, etc. Good gear. Not a lot of "junk" out there, but you take all their chatter with a grain of salt.
Sounds about right to me
Old 03-23-2024, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Yup totally different conditions demanding different skill set

I too have taken a few guys out bush hunting and I hear situations that they had where they couldn’t get a shot because of xyz. Now put myself in that situation and I commonly take animals under those conditions. Put me in open country longer shots I will pass on opportunities that person will do without a second thought
Exactly. I turn down 400 and 500m shots that my boys do without issue. But I smirk because.the ammo they shoot is made by me....lol
Old 03-23-2024, 10:41 AM

[QUOTE=birdseye;4711267]After watching the hunting chanel for a bit,I say its time for the sponsors EG=Sako,Ruger,Savage,Weatherby,Nosler,Hornady,Fede ral,to make the hunters they sponsor profesional marksmen,as in hit certain targets at certain ranges to obtain and or keep the sponsor.They all claim to sell the best products,and most of the shows shooters are less then average to bad.3"-4" group is horrible and i have seen so many of them brag up this kinda accuracy.I think making the hunters applying for or keeping there sponsors should be certified marksmen.Wouldnt this be better for all hunters overvall and the name we all carry.

Did they mention how far they were shooting with these "horrible groups" ?
Most strive for tighter groups but if you can shoot a 3" group with the rifle and scope you can afford good on yuh. Deer , let alone Elk and Moose are a big target , excluding the ocassional long shot , Ive seen the majority of WT killed while hunting with buddies at less then 200yds.....lot of the time less then 100.
More rules in the shooting sports are like getting a root canal
Old 03-23-2024, 10:45 AM

I get a kick out of watching them playing with knobs on their scopes while the game walks away, imagine not taking the shot because you don't have your 'cheat sheet'. Sometimes the new tech does you no favours.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I get a kick out of watching them playing with knobs on their scopes while the game walks away, imagine not taking the shot because you don't have your 'cheat sheet'. Sometimes the new tech does you no favours.
Yeah I bought a scope with a turret by accident not paying attention. I think it might go up for sale as I have no use for that feature
Old 03-23-2024, 11:18 AM

I don’t care how others shoot. I only worry about myself. Just a question though, why would you watch “Wild” tv?