Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-30-2011, 12:36 AM

Default Highwood River

Fished the Highwood river today and managed 7 fish. 3 white fish, 2 cutthroats and 2 rainbows. The trout ranged from about 16 to 20 inches. Caught all the white fish on a Copper John and the trout came on an elk's hair caddis. I had a small trout on that a bull decided to come and try to take from me. Had them both on for a bit before the bull won and took the small trout from me. I have never seen this before so this was the highlight of my day. Also had a bull come and take my foam strike indicator, anyone have any suggestion for flies that I can use instead of my strike indicator and how to set it up?

Thanks

Mike
Old 07-30-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2_72 View Post
Fished the Highwood river today and managed 7 fish. 3 white fish, 2 cutthroats and 2 rainbows. The trout ranged from about 16 to 20 inches. Caught all the white fish on a Copper John and the trout came on an elk's hair caddis. I had a small trout on that a bull decided to come and try to take from me. Had them both on for a bit before the bull won and took the small trout from me. I have never seen this before so this was the highlight of my day. Also had a bull come and take my foam strike indicator, anyone have any suggestion for flies that I can use instead of my strike indicator and how to set it up?

Thanks

Mike
It happens on the Bow alot too. Just use a big foam fly like a Hopper pattern, orange belly ones work best for me, then tie a dropper to the shank for your nymph.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:03 AM

Thanks I'll try that. Do you just tie it on to the end of your leader or do you shorten your leader? Also, how long do you usually have the nymph from the hopper? Some of the pools were fairly deep and I have only been fly fishing for a year and not really able to cast really well with a long leader.

Mike
Old 07-30-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks I'll try that. Do you just tie it on to the end of your leader or do you shorten your leader? Also, how long do you usually have the nymph from the hopper? Some of the pools were fairly deep and I have only been fly fishing for a year and not really able to cast really well with a long leader.

Mike
just tie to the end of your leader....start with a 3 foot or less dropper if your just learning. Alot of fish will be attracted to the big fly and see your dropper and hit it. You can draw alot of bottom fish with this rig
Old 07-30-2011, 02:01 AM

okay thanks I'll try that next time. It would be nice to catch a bull. Don't have them from where I am from in BC and have never caught one.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
okay thanks I'll try that next time. It would be nice to catch a bull. Don't have them from where I am from in BC and have never caught one.
dont be afraid to use to use a big nymph ,like a stonefly or a bugger under the attractor fly.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:19 AM

Okay never really thought of using a bugger like that. I mainly use them in lakes. Any other tips to trying to catch a bull. I really appreciate the tips thanks.

Mike
Old 07-30-2011, 11:29 AM

If you must catch a bull on a fly rod, it's best to target them. Use sinking line and cast a white streamer into the deeper holes and runs. The streamer imitates a small whitefish, and will pull the bulls in from their hiding spots.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:45 PM

^^^
talking to the best bull trout fisherman IMO the deeper,bigger,heaver and Faster is Key words.
Use very heavey flies
fish deeper water
Fish the faster water (white or Blue/green pools)
Use Big flies starting from 6inch+
Cast into the seems on the whitewater side let it float across to you and when its straight start with 4-6inch fast strips.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Banned

Plain old wooly buggers from 2-4" worked fine for me past couple outings. Make sure you have some weighted buggers with you. Use 8-12lb tipet so you can bring the fish in faster, 6wt rOds do the trick.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:25 AM

Also, dont overlook those little "waterfalls" that are 1 or 2 feet tall. Bulls will sit right under those in only 18-36 inches of water waiting for smaller fish to come over the falls, lose their equilibrium momentarily in the whitewater and gulp, they get eaten by a bull...

M