Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2013, 10:47 PM

Default What the heck was that?...

...That's what I said after I heard a huge bang followed by me running over something in my vehicle. Well, that's basically what I said.

Was coming off Hwy 2 onto 32nd St in Red Deer, crossed the overpass, started switching into the right lane and "BOOM" followed by the car jumping. It was loud. My dog was beside me, ears down. No cell phones or anything else involved. There was absolutely nothing in front of me.

Looked in my mirror, didn't see anything, pulled over. I walked back up the road, didn't see anything. No pothole, no ice, no animals, no people, no debris, nothing. I thought a big ice chunk must have fallen out of my wheelwell, and I ran over it. I didn't see any crushed ice, but what else could it be, and made my way back.

As I got back to my car, I noticed something. Looked closer...dent...fur. So on my back door, near the top of the window is a bunch of fur. My back window is always open cause my Husky likes to hang out the window. I understand the stunned look on her face after the event now! I see further scuff marks and whatnot, but no blood (that I've found yet), no animal that I could find, no animal came in the window into the backseat that I can find.

I have a Rogue, so it has to be about 4 1/2 to 5 ft at that spot...so it's got to be a deer, right?

I can't identify the fur, but I simply have to assume. Not sure how I ran it over and it still was able to take off, or me not see it in my rearview after, but...

My adrenaline is still going. Crazy.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:26 PM

If it bothers you you can go back at sun up and have a look around. If you were switching lanes you may have been doing a shoulder check when something crossed your path unnoticed, hope you, dog and vehicle are well.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:02 AM

A deer probably ran into the side of your vehicle and then ran off, I've had that happen. If they just run into the side, and dont get hit, they're usually fine and run off.