Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-09-2011, 07:49 PM

Erik im with SDF sockeyes are not hard to catch in the ocean, ive fished tofino, port alberni, rupert, and most places in between, we arent nessecarily hauling them in but i would not say they are rare, but i do agree with your comment about steelhead

Old 09-09-2011, 07:52 PM

but erik im not saying its you but in the ocean on multiple ocasions ive limited out on sockeyes in 2-3 hours
Old 09-09-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
Hey Sundance, what do you have to do the rest of the year for your wife to let you go salmon fishing twice a year,LOL. Looks like you had alot of fun.

take care
Goose
ummmm... What ever she wants...
Old 09-09-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofinofish View Post
Great report SDF.

Glad to hear the big Coho are still thick in the North as there must be a major body of these big hook nose demons all up the coast!

We are seeing 20-30 per day offshore, and the Saltwaater Fly program is unreal....big slab Ho's hitting flies with a vengeance.. Will try and post some pics here soon but limited time as we are still in peak season on the WCVI.

If you need any custom tied saltwaater Flies for next year, we will be going on full production all winter. I just received another beauty batch of Polar Bear, approx half a hide ready to be died, tied, epoxied and stripped in front of a hungry salmon.

Enjoy the Sashimi!

J.
I am definitely going to need a few to try. I did not have the best boat for flyfishing out of this last trip but I did get about 30 casts in to a needlefish bait ball. I had two good strikes...probably coho...then OMG!!!!! I saw a 18 lb Chinook rise up and swipe the fly...I think I pulled it away too fast...AHHHHHHH! But it was still worth seeing it happen. My heart raced for 20 minutes just on the memory alone.

I have to try a few different flies.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:31 PM

Hard to forget that big black mouth chomping a Fly in front of you!!!

Cool experience that few can say they have had - That'll keep you wanting more!!

I would suggest some articulated flies that really stick well when you hook up, even on spinning, twisting and jumping Coho.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ArticulatedClouser.jpg (18.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-10-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Hard to forget that big black mouth chomping a Fly in front of you!!!

Cool experience that few can say they have had - That'll keep you wanting more!!

I would suggest some articulated flies that really stick well when you hook up, even on spinning, twisting and jumping Coho.
Looks great.

Speaking of coho...guess what I am doing now... It has to do with wasabi and soya sauce...
Old 09-10-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Looks great.

Speaking of coho...guess what I am doing now... It has to do with wasabi and soya sauce...
Speaking of Coho, I'd like to be handling some with Wasabi too, but did manage to put a whole pile in the locker on ice this morning for my guests.... mentioned the wasabi option to them but they were not the Albertan sushimi types I guess

Also amazing how chrome the Springs still are offshore today..only 1 in 8 have even a hint of colour.

Enjoy the great grub and I will be posting some more detailed pics of Fly and Bucktail patterns on the forum when time allows.

J.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Speaking of Coho, I'd like to be handling some with Wasabi too, but did manage to put a whole pile in the locker on ice this morning for my guests.... mentioned the wasabi option to them but they were not the Albertan sushimi types I guess

Also amazing how chrome the Springs still are offshore today..only 1 in 8 have even a hint of colour.

Enjoy the great grub and I will be posting some more detailed pics of Fly and Bucktail patterns on the forum when time allows.

J.
I feel like a sea lions...packed full of coho... I did not think I could eat a half a coho sashimi style...but I guess I am a true carnivore. LOL