Old 09-18-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
Can Jeep guys read?
#*%! Spell correct on my phone
Old 09-18-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Bunny hunts! I forgot about those; that sure takes me back a few years, maybe even a few decades.
Never had a CB, but am curious...what is a bunny hunt?
Old 09-18-2015, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Never had a CB, but am curious...what is a bunny hunt?
The designated bunny which is a CB user, would locate themselves in some area within range. That bunny would then broadcast say every 3 or 5 minutes a short message, and the bunny hunters would try and find where the bunny was. That was done by attempting to find signal strength and direction.

The hunt could last anywheres from 15 minutes to where I've seen it last over an hour and a half. There was always a few adult beverages involved afterwards.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
You didn't use VHF?
May have been we had multiple types of radio systems in our house.
The old crystal based ones too. Those I remember building in the winter.
Not like I have used any of it in over 20+ years.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
The designated bunny which is a CB user, would locate themselves in some area within range. That bunny would then broadcast say every 3 or 5 minutes a short message, and the bunny hunters would try and find where the bunny was. That was done by attempting to find signal strength and direction.

The hunt could last anywheres from 15 minutes to where I've seen it last over an hour and a half. There was always a few adult beverages involved afterwards.
thanks!
Old 02-25-2016, 10:00 PM

Found some gear on kijiji . Small Cobra compact C.B. , Firestick antenna , about 15 feet of coax all for $50 . Nothing serious but can talk to friends on the trail . Was on the highway and listened to a long winded conversation between 2 truckers about a gals "Skills" in Red Deer .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (35.3 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by 88thunderbird; 02-25-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1960 View Post
Are the hand held models worth it, or do you need a external antennae for any decent range?
I have one of these units from Cobra

https://www.cobra.com/products/recreational/c-75-wx-st

It works ok but the range is not very good. I only have a small 4ft antenna on my truck so that I can get into parking garages easily. I got it from CB City at the Flying Jay truck stop in Edmonton about 10yrs ago. Very knowledgeable guys.

I would like to increase my range to make the CB more useful. Would be fun to get back into using it.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:15 PM

We had them in our pick ups and used them all of the time driving around on the weekends letting each other know where the cops were in town, and using them when at the drive in when there was triple features yackin about what parties to go to etc, Haha!! times sure have changed
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:01 AM

Does c.b. use constitute "Distracted driving" nowadays?
Old 02-26-2016, 07:50 AM

When I worked with my Dads plumbing company we had a base station at the shop with a 25' + mast on the top of our two story office, each service van had one installed, even the construction dept trucks when going way back pre-1991. Heck, my present service van was bought from Dad and it was once so equipped (yes, it is getting a bit old). Funny how a company with 38 vehicles all talked on the same channel. I recall it was a frequency we had a CRTC license for so it was rare to find an interloper broadcasting on our channel, but there would be the odd passerby pair of truckers talking to one another. It sure was handy pre cell phone. We had a few things we'd use our own code for to maintain security such as if a client left their key hidden somewhere for us to get access we'd not want to broadcast that to everyone. Another code we had was 'Shaganappi' which meant that the client was within earshot of the radio conversation and to conduct oneself accordingly.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 02-26-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:34 AM

Yes channel 19 was the bomb.

Back in high school ('07) my brothers and I all hard wired Cobra CB radio's into our vehicles. Driving QEII or Highway 11 was a lot of fun. We'd also pick up the odd transmission from CB enthusiats along the countryside, mostly in Lacombe county.

EDIT: Do most transport truckers still use these on the highway? My brother works in fracking and their trucks all have CB's but he says they only use them once they get out into the boonies.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:20 AM

I would have thought a bunny hunt was something else guess they just called seat covers
Old 02-26-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Does c.b. use constitute "Distracted driving" nowadays?
Yes unless you are a professional / commercial driver.

Regardless I still use one although they aren't as popular as they used to be. A few of my friends have them in their trucks as well. We usually convoy out together when we go on extended hunting / fishing trips. The CB's are handy for the trip. Especially so for one fella who tends to fall to the back of the pack due to the old motor home he takes. No blue tooth in that old relic. Its easy to check up on him. You don't get the range that a VHF gets but you defiantly get the nostalgia factor. The odd big rig driver has a CB in it or turned on, also nice for letting them know when they are clear to get back into the lane after a pass.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:41 PM

I still sell between 75 - 100 a year.