Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2016, 08:21 PM

Default Edmonton Drivers

hey everyone the snow has pretty much all gone from the major road ways. lets get risky and frisky and try to go the posted speed limit plus 5 KM per hour,, minor rant.... FS
Old 02-24-2016, 08:23 PM

Have a snickers
Old 02-24-2016, 08:51 PM

Then when it snows next they'll have forgotten how to drive on winter roads again!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon Slayer Lenny View Post
Then when it snows next they'll have forgotten how to drive on winter roads again!
Forgotten how to drive in snow?

You have a group of people that can't drive on dry roads - and thrown snow at them - it's not that they are forgetting. Some folk can't drive - and shouldn't be on the roads.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:09 PM

If the driver has two hands on the wheel ALL the time. Then You have a nervous driver, beware. Just Sayin!!
Old 02-24-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Forgotten how to drive in snow?

You have a group of people that can't drive on dry roads - and thrown snow at them - it's not that they are forgetting. Some folk can't drive - and shouldn't be on the roads.

Ain't that the truth. Even on dry roads, folks can't stay off the shoulders when using I ramps etc. Then being crappy drivers, they try to make up for it by speeding....
Old 02-25-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Some folk can't drive - and shouldn't be on the roads.
And yet someone is still giving them a licence saying they can, time to crack down on the issuers. Been sayin for years that half the people on the road in the winter should be on the bus as they lack fundamental winter driving skills
Old 02-25-2016, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
hey everyone the snow has pretty much all gone from the major road ways. lets get risky and frisky and try to go the posted speed limit plus 5 KM per hour,, minor rant.... FS
You knew it was coming ....... "posted speed limit PLUS 5 km/ hr."?????

Somebody had to ask why you want to rant about such a thing.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:13 AM

Some peoples idea of being a good driver, means staying between the coloured lines and watching for brake lights in front of them.

How's that saying go about sticks and dead dogs?

There are no absolutes
Old 02-25-2016, 04:16 AM
Banned

I was in Edmonton last week. I know I live in a slow little village, but you guys are nuts. That area around the world's largest highway project at Anthony Henday is not a race-track for Suburbans and day-cab delivery trucks and there is no "fast lane" on the Yellowhead these days.

Free
Old 02-25-2016, 05:34 AM

Go with the flow and you'll be ok. I take the henday every day. You have the slow lane drivers, fast lane drivers and "drive it like you stole it" drivers. Most fast lane drivers are 10km over limit
Old 02-25-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Go with the flow and you'll be ok. I take the henday every day. You have the slow lane drivers, fast lane drivers and "drive it like you stole it" drivers. Most fast lane drivers are 10km over limit

10 over?..........more like 20-40 over. Henday in the morning is like the Deerfoot 500. The higher lift kit on your truck,,,,,,the faster ya go. Make sure ya got all the brightist lights on the market too.........and all turned on.

What people do to gain one car length is unreal. Rarely see any enforcement for speed on either the Henday or Deerfoot.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 02-25-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Ain't that the truth. Even on dry roads, folks can't stay off the shoulders when using I ramps etc. Then being crappy drivers, they try to make up for it by speeding....

Some drivers amaze me! You see it all the time nice sunny day in the middle of the summer, and they lose control and hit the ditch.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Yes and usually only 2 lanes for all 3.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
Some drivers amaze me! You see it all the time nice sunny day in the middle of the summer, and they lose control and hit the ditch.

But like I said.... They seem to think they can make up for poor knowledge and skill by driving really fast. Gotta be at the head of the line don't ya know.... Especially at the next lite!
Old 02-25-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
If everybody went with the flow, slow or fast we would have less accidents.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
If everybody went with the flow, slow or fast we would have less accidents.
This times ten but for some people it is much to difficult to grasp...
Old 02-25-2016, 08:01 AM

Saturday is supposed to be wintery. Gonna be lots of fender benders.
Have to wonder where the driving testers get there licence from. A lot of drivers out there that should not have a licence ! I know someone that got there licence on the 5th try. Had an accident within two weeks, there fault ! Should never ever have gotten it .

Gonna get me a 16" perch.

Last edited by Kim473; 02-25-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:02 AM

I can appreciate how frustrating it is to be following someone driving under speed when the conditions don't warrant it.

Bear in mind, though, some vehicles actually don't have their speedo's calibrated correctly from the factory - that is, some will read up to 10% over the actual speed, making the driver think that they are at speed, when in reality they are driving 10 km under on the highway. Some European cars bad for that - such as VW - and the shops won't correct them for you either, citing that it's Transport Canada's rules etc. Of course, that irritates me, since I am used to German instruments being the hallmark of precision.

Sadly, at "5 over" or even "ten over" You'll still have some loser tailgating you. Can't make everyone happy.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
10 over?..........more like 20-40 over. Henday in the morning is like the Deerfoot 500. The higher lift kit on your truck,,,,,,the faster ya go. Make sure ya got all the brightist lights on the market too.........and all turned on.

What people do to gain one car length is unreal. Rarely see any enforcement for speed on either the Henday or Deerfoot.
While I agree that the henday can be crazy, I totally disagree about enforcement. I drive the East side of the henday and hwy 16 a lot and let me tell you that it is a gold mine for the RCMP and Provincial Sherriffs. They are out there a lot.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:33 AM
Banned

I always get a chuckle out of the person who is always 5-10 over the limit, weaving in and out of traffic to gain spaces...and we end up stopped at the same red light 2 blocks down the road.
The other thing that amazes me. The number of times I see a fender-bender on the way to work (Edmonton) at 6:45AM. Next to no traffic on the road yet they manage to hit someone.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I always get a chuckle out of the person who is always 5-10 over the limit, weaving in and out of traffic to gain spaces...and we end up stopped at the same red light 2 blocks down the road.
The other thing that amazes me. The number of times I see a fender-bender on the way to work (Edmonton) at 6:45AM. Next to no traffic on the road yet they manage to hit someone.

For sure, see it too.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
It's typical!
I see it in town all the time.
i got homked at and the guy gave me the finger the other day because i was in the left lane of a 50KIM zone.
The right hand lane ws turning right onto another street at the light , so I got in the left lane then got over to turn right.
The cowboy couldn't wait for 30 seconds and was right on my bumper, as it turns out the light turned yellow so I slowed down and hit the red.
I can never figure that bunch out!
Cat
Old 02-25-2016, 10:11 AM

I have come to the realization that people will do what they do and nothing is gonna change that. I try to get out of peoples way when I can and feel its better they are ahead of me instead of on my bumper.

Today on the east end of the Whitemud where it drops to 60klm a guy on the inside lane was trying to get in the outside lane to exit on 34st. A semi following close behind a car in the outside lane speed up to insure the car in the inside lane could not change lanes. The person in the inside lane slowed traffic down to 30 or 40 klm to get in behind the semi to exit on 34th. The semi also exited on 34th.

This most likely put the semi driver in a good mood for an hour or so due to this.

I drive in and out of the city a lot (outside sales) and see the craziest things going on out there. Some days it is hard to stay com and ignore the mayhem.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:08 PM

Default city drivers

I live in the country and dont have to look at a calender to know when its the weekend. The traffic habits change on friday till sunday night, then go back to normal by monday morning.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:54 PM

We occasionally have engineers come in from out of town/country and I end up having to apologize for the drivers here. Everyone drives at odd distances to the point you could land a plane between cars and then floor it if they see you changing lanes in front of them. No one can turn left across traffic again because of this strange 15 car lengths unwritten retard rule that seems to be going on.

If the light changes somehow only 8 cars can make it though the light because of god awful reaction times. Put a pearl necklace on the counter (not that kind) and pull on it. Notice how the last bead starts moving almost immediately after the front one starts moving...that's how it works in traffic almost everywhere else except in Alberta. It's sad actually when you have to praise Sask. drivers in comparison to here