Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2016, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Not as much time as you have had by the sounds of it...

Sorry for posting factual information, forgot that was a no no here...
Yes but mostly by choice I may bark but I rarely bite and although it's a sticky topic, just remember we all come here to get away for a bit and I kind of like you.
contact me, I can possibly hook you up in your line of work if you don't mind moving to red deer.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:56 PM

Man I regret starting this whole payback string in this thread

For those old enough to remember years ago this was the reason why, although it seemed heartless, many companies did their layoffs on Dec 15. A guy got his last 2 weeks pay plus lump sum severance, then he could apply for EI on Jan 2 of the next year and not be hurt by the fact he made good money the year before.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post

For those old enough to remember years ago this was the reason why, although it seemed heartless, many companies did their layoffs on Dec 15. A guy got his last 2 weeks pay plus lump sum severance, then he could apply for EI on Jan 2 of the next year and not be hurt by the fact he made good money the year before.
Are you sure about that? I'd always been under the impression that your severance package always counted because it is "pay in lieu of notice" (that's the definition of severance)... That if you got, say, 6 months worth of severance, your EI eligibility would begin after the six months, because you were effectively being paid until then. Wouldn't matter if the payment was made in December.

And don't regret starting the thread. It's actually been quite educational.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Are you sure about that? I'd always been under the impression that your severance package always counted because it is "pay in lieu of notice" (that's the definition of severance)... That if you got, say, 6 months worth of severance, your EI eligibility would begin after the six months, because you were effectively being paid until then. Wouldn't matter if the payment was made in December.
This is correct. Once you're severance runs out you can collect EI. Any vacation paid out upon termination is also added to that period.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:46 PM

I'm thinking about Union guys whose severance was only a few weeks to a month. Maybe they didn't apply right away and had to wait a month or so for EI, but I remember a sledding buddy was the president of the Local at a mill I worked at and he made the comment of "at least it was not mid-summer when the guys would face claw backs".
Old 02-26-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:

This is not true. It does not matter when you get laid off. They calculate your average weekly salary and then divide your lump sum severance by this average to determine how many weeks your severance covers. You have to wait until that determined number of weeks is up and then wait an extra 2 weeks for the waiting period before you start receiving EI.

I know this because it is how my situation worked out and I didn't start receiving EI till later in January because of my severance.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:00 PM

So what if I'm making $125 a year and get laid off in July. I've already made $70k, I'm Union and me severance works out to about only 4 weeks pay. That means in Aug I can apply for EI, except that my income for the year is now about $75k already and I face a clawback and face several long months with a reduced EI payout due to me already making too much money that year.

If I had been laid off in December and apply in Jan my yearly income for that new year would be almost nothing, meaning I could get full EI payments for my full 40ish weeks.

Honestly trying to understand this and not cause an argument. I fear many of us may be in this boat come mid-year this year if things continue. I had always been under the assumption I'd be better off to get let go at year end as at least I'd have full EI come the new year. Even more important I had used that understanding of how EI works to say my Emergency fund had to be 6-8 months expenses so if I did get let go in July I'd wait until the next Jan to apply for EI. Looks like I may have to rethinking my planning if my assumptions are wrong.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
So what if I'm making $125 a year and get laid off in July. I've already made $70k, I'm Union and me severance works out to about only 4 weeks pay. That means in Aug I can apply for EI, except that my income for the year is now about $75k already and I face a clawback and face several long months with a reduced EI payout due to me already making too much money that year.

If I had been laid off in December and apply in Jan my yearly income for that new year would be almost nothing, meaning I could get full EI payments for my full 40ish weeks.

Honestly trying to understand this and not cause an argument. I fear many of us may be in this boat come mid-year this year if things continue. I had always been under the assumption I'd be better off to get let go at year end as at least I'd have full EI come the new year. Even more important I had used that understanding of how EI works to say my Emergency fund had to be 6-8 months expenses so if I did get let go in July I'd wait until the next Jan to apply for EI. Looks like I may have to rethinking my planning if my assumptions are wrong.
First case laid off mid summer.

If this was your first time applying for EI you will get full benefits and will not have to make a repayment.

If you have received EI in the past 10 years you would receive EI maximum of 537 weekly but would have to repay 30% meaning would only get 376 in weekly benefits.

Second case laid off in December, you receive full 537 weekly.

But...

NEVER EVER WAIT TO APPLY FOR EI.

If you do not apply for EI within one month of being laid off they do not have to pay you benefits. You are supposed to apply as soon as you are released not when you feel like it.

If you are making that good of money and afraid you might get laid off. Start saving your money if you don't already have a bunch saved up.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:09 AM

A long time ago I once made the mistake of not applying for UI when I was first laid off. I waited till I really needed the money, to late then, they would not give me anything. If you get laid off apply right away, do not wait.