Default Do you care?

http://globalnews.ca/news/2106366/mo...atened-survey/
Old 07-12-2015, 03:37 PM

Yes, it is sad to see.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:00 PM

Default Old Man River

I was fishing this week in the Old Man River & Race horse creek area. The fishing was good. A good mix of large to very small fish (17" - 4"). My biggest concern is the amount of quadders driving up, down and across the creeks. At one point I saw a group of 7 quads and side by sides parked literally in Dutch Creek. I didn't have my phone or a camera for any proof but I did report it to F&W anyway. Right where I camped there is a sign saying that is illegal to cross the river but people just drive right on by and cross. I have nothing against people who enjoy ATV'ing, I am sure it's a lot of fun. Just wish they would stay out of the rivers. In my opinion, it can't be good for the fish.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:09 PM

And when (not if) the Castle is redesignated those acting with no respect for the area will be asking "Why??", "It's not fair!!", "The government has no right..."....

It's sad to see for sure...
Old 07-12-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bowhunter View Post
I have nothing against people who enjoy ATV'ing, I am sure it's a lot of fun. Just wish they would stay out of the rivers. In my opinion, it can't be good for the fish.
Your opinion is backed up by facts. It is absolutely not good for the fish.

Smitty
Old 07-12-2015, 04:57 PM

I am sure that Lack of water and fish etc is what is going to be the end of the world one day so this concerns me big time My 2 Cents
Old 07-12-2015, 06:16 PM

They don't have much for solutions and recovery plans do they.. And do they have plans for northern mountain river drainage basins? Hopefully the change in government helps recover the damage that's been done.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:23 PM

the only question i have is why is rainbows also protected along with the bull? almost every lake pond stream or creek has them????
Old 07-12-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
the only question i have is why is rainbows also protected along with the bull? almost every lake pond stream or creek has them????
I albertas only native population of rainbows is the athabasca strain. A fairly small population. Probably trying to protect that strain. Most of those waters with rainbows were transplanted.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:57 PM

Goldeye have vanished????
Old 07-12-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Goldeye have vanished????
I wonder if they meant walleye haha
Old 07-12-2015, 07:04 PM

Default Athabasca rainbows and more...

True comment there about Athabasca rainbows; they're the only native rainbows found east of the Continental divide and have been in AB for thousands of years.

And they're not to be confused the 4 or 5 types of strains being used to stock pothole lakes in AB.

Actually, in contrast, you can volunteer and pass a fish ID test to be a part of the Stewardship Project to remove brook trout and non-native rainbows in targeted watersheds in southern AB in an effort to restore the native cutt-bull-whitefish ecology.

Back to the point; there is no question that industry and quads are ruining fish habitat. We need FAR MORE enforcement on both industry and recreational users, and make it painful when riparian areas are damaged. Personally, I'd like to see quad use banned in most of the Eastern Slopes, levies on every quad sold, and where quad use is allowed, only on designated trails that are regularly patrolled. Quad users should have some fun, and they should bear the cost of funding man made bogs they can slop around to their hearts content far away from fragile watersheds.

As for industry, the fines should be not a one time thing, but a fine/cost PER day when they ignore or fail to mitigate the damage.

Tired of the free-for-all wild west mentality that the AB gov't has had for years now. Hopefully the new gov't might actually do something about it.

Smitty
P.S. And yes, I will be writing letters and contacting my MLA.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
True comment there about Athabasca rainbows; they're the only native rainbows found east of the Continental divide and have been in AB for thousands of years.

And they're not to be confused the 4 or 5 types of strains being used to stock pothole lakes in AB.

Actually, in contrast, you can volunteer and pass a fish ID test to be a part of the Stewardship Project to remove brook trout and non-native rainbows in targeted watersheds in southern AB in an effort to restore the native cutt-bull-whitefish ecology.

Back to the point; there is no question that industry and quads are ruining fish habitat. We need FAR MORE enforcement on both industry and recreational users, and make it painful when riparian areas are damaged. Personally, I'd like to see quad use banned in most of the Eastern Slopes, levies on every quad sold, and where quad use is allowed, only on designated trails that are regularly patrolled. Quad users should have some fun, and they should bear the cost of funding man made bogs they can slop around to their hearts content far away from fragile watersheds.

As for industry, the fines should be not a one time thing, but a fine/cost PER day when they ignore or fail to mitigate the damage.

Tired of the free-for-all wild west mentality that the AB gov't has had for years now. Hopefully the new gov't might actually do something about it.

Smitty
P.S. And yes, I will be writing letters and contacting my MLA.
Well said.

One solution to eliminate ATV use in many areas would be land mines.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post

Back to the point; there is no question that industry and quads are ruining fish habitat..
Agreed, but industrial development has destroyed an order of magnitude more fish habitat than ATV's. ATV'ers are just easier to go after than logging and resource companies. Maybe now that an oil company can't donate any more to a political party than a single ATV'er we will see that change.