Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-09-2016, 09:08 AM

Default Anyone need Wyoming antelope info

So I stumbled across a forum called long range hunting, joined it cause it took 2 seconds and discovered under the heading antelope that there's page after page of discussion on Wyoming antelope. Different zones, public vs private, outfitters etc unlimited good info there's also several ranchers on there that offer hunting for trespass fees, so ya if your thinking of going or just bored check it out.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:01 AM

We are headed down next fall in a DIY hunt. We've been building preference points for 3 years now so should get a decent zone with lots of public land. I'm going to check this out forsure before we apply for tags in January though. Thanks for the heads up though! Really looking forward to this hunt.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:05 AM

Thanks! I have 4 priority points but will be up to 6 by the time I'll be ready to head back down there.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhaulerhunter View Post
We are headed down next fall in a DIY hunt. We've been building preference points for 3 years now so should get a decent zone with lots of public land. I'm going to check this out forsure before we apply for tags in January though. Thanks for the heads up though! Really looking forward to this hunt.
We're headed down as well. Managed to line up 1,800 acres of free private land on the condition we take a doe or 2, and have opening3 days booked there, and also have 4,500 acres of trespass fee land (that also gives us access to 1,900 acres of landlocked blm land) as an alternate for a very good price ($250). The zone were hunting is majority private owned, So is heavily undersubscribed, so we're going to pick up second buck tags as well. I can say after planning this hunt out, I will never again bother applying in Alberta. I waited 15 yrs for the tag I drew here this year, but next year (and every subsequent year if things don't change) can go shoot 2 bucks in Wyoming.....and all in with scouting time/hotels/fuel etc, I don't think the price will be much different paying for trespass fees and everything down there. Good luck guys!
Old 12-09-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
We're headed down as well. Managed to line up 1,800 acres of free private land on the condition we take a doe or 2, and have opening3 days booked there, and also have 4,500 acres of trespass fee land (that also gives us access to 1,900 acres of landlocked blm land) as an alternate for a very good price ($250). The zone were hunting is majority private owned, So is heavily undersubscribed, so we're going to pick up second buck tags as well. I can say after planning this hunt out, I will never again bother applying in Alberta. I waited 15 yrs for the tag I drew here this year, but next year (and every subsequent year if things don't change) can go shoot 2 bucks in Wyoming.....and all in with scouting time/hotels/fuel etc, I don't think the price will be much different paying for trespass fees and everything down there. Good luck guys!
Very nice! Have discussed with a couple buddies about doing something similar. Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

LC
Old 12-09-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Very nice! Have discussed with a couple buddies about doing something similar. Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

LC
Thanks man, and ya were looking super forward to it. Took a lot of hours researching the zones, then actually finding decently priced or free land that worth paying for, but it's very doable. The nice thing about hunting undersubscribed zones is you can put in a really hard to get draw for your first choice, then the zone you know you will get (mainly private zones) and you save your preference point (it only gets used on your first choice if your successful). So in subsequent years once you have decent pref, you can hunt a mainly blm zone. I'm building elk pref points there as well, some of the private land outside the wilderness zones (so you can still DIY) have some slammer elk on them and trespass fees are very reasonable. I have a 9500acre ranch lined up for a couple years when I have the pref to draw it, and last year 9 guys hunted it and the smallest bull taken was 335, biggest was 382 and all were successful. If a guy plays his cards right, between Alberta and Wyoming a guy could be hunting really decent elk draws every 3-4 years, lol. That's the plan anyway, unless I get hit by a bus.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:07 AM

Should also mention to anyone planning a hunt there that it's worth your while to call the f+w officer and regional biologist for the area you plan to hunt. They are a wealth of info on game numbers and trophy potential. One of the bio's I talked to even went as far as to say what a guy should shoot size wise and what should walk in that area if you are looking for a decent sized animal for that area. Totally different than here, they understand the trophy hunter mentality and speak that language if you want the info.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:37 AM

Thanks, I will definitely check it out.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:31 AM

Montana can be done for cheap as well. Realise that you don't have the greatest chance at "bigger" lopes in Montana and Wyoming but I am sure there are some.
New Mexico last year was a ball and we were passing up 80 + inch goats every day I was there.
Hard part is figuring out what they score on the hoof. I may have passed on one or 2 bigger than I got but who knows.
Price will run about $4500-5500 but the quality is high.
Hunting Lopes is some of the greatest fun a guy can have. I can't wait to go back and got it booked again for 2018.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:36 AM
Banned

I drove a truck back from West Virginia and crossed the border at the Piegan crossing in 2012.I seen a min of 1000 lopes,majority were in Wyoming.They were everywhere!!
Old 12-15-2016, 12:20 PM

I am definitely going to check it out. I'm planning a hunt with my brother and two cousins for 2018. We were talking about going to North Dakota though as it seemed to be a bit cheaper then Wyoming, but we were going to go through an outfitter. We found a guy offering four day hunts for $1900. What do you guys think you've spent on a DIY hunt if you don't mind me asking?