Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-09-2016, 08:50 AM

Default Opening day down south

Had a good day, friend and i fished my favourite dino hole on the Bow River, lots of minnows jumping to avoid the pikes, no bites./ headed over to number 2 hole, on the Bow again, and it was on. 3 or 4 times we couldnt even get a bell on the rod because there was already a fish biting. walleye must have been stacked up too they were hitting my sturgeon bait contantly. ended the day with 3 species of suckers, a nice goldeye, a pike, a whole bunch of walleye, and finally after 9 hours my first lake sturgeon of the season. the river looks really bad for water quantity, hopefully we get some this spring from somewhere, maybe all you upstream city people could start flushing twice?
This is the Bow river believe it or not, every fish that swims upstream from here has to go through the one tiny channel and the pelicans like to line up right across the river from side to side there.

the water is already warming up fast, starting to wonder if we will get shut down again this year

most if not all the walleye had fin leeches. also had one on my hook and it was chased right to shore by a second walleye.

first dino of the season! very fat 49 incher, absolutely gorgeous brown/bronze coloring, very dark

How did everyone elses opener go?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-09-2016, 08:59 AM

I was out at McGregor, a little breezy but with the kicker/bow mount working in conjunction we managed some decent boat control while bouncing. When we finally found the fish we got about 20, nothing huge (14-20") but a fun first day.

I'm not surprised by the shape of the Bow upstream of the forks, I've surveyed that stretch a few times and it is shocking how low it gets.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:38 AM
Banned

Looks like a nice season opener Wayne. I don't know if it's normal or not for the Bow to be that low at this time of year, but it really looked shallow.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:22 AM

We just hit Tilley. 4 smallish pike, 2 around 26". Lots of bites, missed landing 3, also looked small. The guys farther down packed it in around 10 with a nice haul of whitefish. Wondering how the hell they managed that lol.

Hitting the Bow next weekend, give my new Ugly Stik Tiger a break in
Old 05-15-2016, 12:27 PM

Bow was a bust for us, too shallow. Managed one 65 cm pike all day. Walked around 5km or so. Just shallow everywhere.

I did hit one of my favorite spots, can see why it's productive when the waters higher. Rocks form a big underwater break from the current.

Going to head out and see what the Red Deers like next weekend. No big secret spots, just hit Dino park and walk around lol.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:10 PM

Burbots broke my losing streak. They were on a feeding streak this morning. Friend and I each took one home to try. First time keeping a fish for me. Did a good job cleaning it up and didn't waste any meat. Just as delicious as everyone says