Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-01-2016, 07:39 PM

Default Call for coyotes?

I'm going to start hunting coyotes a little more seriously this winter.... with the drop in deer numbers, I didn't fill my tags, so still having that hunting itch. Maybe I'll scratch it with a bunch of the song dogs!

Was at Bass Pro and cabelas looking at the electronic calls, decoys and other gear, and am wondering what guys can suggest... the prices ranged from $80 all the way to $800. Is it like most other things hunting related? "You get what you pay for"? Or would a $150 unit be just as good as one that costs $400?
How much of a difference does the little motion decoy make?

I've blasted my share of coyotes, but never really tried calling them too seriously - so any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:12 PM

Try the search function on this - there's quite a few threads on the topic. In short though, you do get what you pay for, and FoxPro has excellent customer service.

Here's a couple from last year around the time I was doing my research:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=269245

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=268195

FWIW, I went with the FoxPro Crossfire with FoxJack decoy.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:15 PM

You really do not need to spend money on an electronic call.
A mouth blown will bring in just as many and more if you are calling in a area were others have used e-callers during deer season.
They do have advantage of calling crossing wind and having the coyote come in down wind of the call rather than down wind of you.
I have both and use my e-caller about 30% of the time.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
A mouth blown will bring in just as many and more if you are calling in a area were others have used e-callers during deer season.
They do have advantage of calling crossing wind and having the coyote come in down wind of the call rather than down wind of you.
This ^^^^.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:57 AM

Mouth call is far better the only down fall is a bot of heavy breathing after and trying to shoot after a long sequence!
Old 12-02-2016, 06:53 AM

Hard to beat the electronic call for coyote group vocals. I started with mouth blown calls in the 70s but really like the advantages of using both nowadays.Buy yourself a 400$ FoxPro , a few mouth calls, howlers and a coyote decoy and you will be good to go.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
Hard to beat the electronic call for coyote group vocals. I started with mouth blown calls in the 70s but really like the advantages of using both nowadays.Buy yourself a 400$ FoxPro , a few mouth calls, howlers and a coyote decoy and you will be good to go.
I agree. I started with mouth calls and now use both, electronic and mouth.
I like the electronic because if you set the call and a decoy up down wind if you it takes the attention off you. I also have a small folding blind that I set up in front of me to block my movement. It has allowed me to turn 90 degs. When a coyote was 75 yrds away and it didn't even flinche. First time I used a 2d folding decoy coyote (kojo can buy at Cabelas ) my buddy laughed when I set it up. We were almost ready to switch stands and I see one on the tree line. I was able to rotate my rifle 180 degrees and wasn't noticed because he was very focused on the decoy. When my buddy grabbed the coyote and turned to come back to me he said he almost shot the decoy. They really help. Use young calls so they are less intimidating to other coyotes. I have recently bought a 3D decoy I'm going to try this weekend.
Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6949.jpg (35.0 KB, 165 views)
Old 12-07-2016, 09:49 AM

Redfrog should be along soon, takes a while to get a internet signal out to Bodo

He is one of the many Coyote gods on here.

I am intently watching this thread for tips as well. The boy and i would like to try it this winter too.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Thanks for the vote of confidence Sooner.

Some newbies as well as veteran callers sometimes over think this stuff. It's easy to do. we are told the coyote is smart and invisible and has super powers, but I've watched Saturday morning cartoons and I think the Road Runner is under rated. They are a lot like wimmen and hunting dogs. Not as smart as we think they are and certainly not as dumb as we think they are.

The last 2 things a dying rabbit worries about is "How do my screams sound?" "and how's my hare?" Sorry I couldn't help myself.

You don't need to make awesome sounds, actually you need to sound like something being torn apart alive.

I use mostly custom hand calls because they work every time you use them. They sound 'good' are easy to blow and don't take a lung full of air to get some volume. Most of the commercial calls take a lung blown to get any decent results.

Custom calls are user friendly and that makes learning to operate them easy.

I've had mixed crowds of kids from 6 or 7 yrs old to teens learn to howl and do pup distress in a couple minutes with open reed calls. Closed reed calls are easier, but will freeze up in the cold weather.

Distress sounds work well. Deer, rabbit, bird etc. You do not need the "new wiz bang, Texas, flat back, jack riding a burning motorcycle , call, in 'cactus camo'" to call predators. You won't ever see a coyote sitting out there listening to you blow your rabbit distress and say"Nah, I just had rabbit last week, I think I feel like chinese barn cat this week."

What you may find though is a coyote who hears an ecaller playing the "dying jack" and he thinks 'That sounds exactly like the same thing I heard last week when that idiot missed me 4 times on the run.

With open reed hand calls you have so many sound options, tempos etc. instantly without batteries.

This time of year howling works well. An open reed offers this option as well as all the distress sounds you can figure out in the same call. One call does it all. I also use horn or delrin howlers. after Christmas I pretty much just howl. coyotes are breeding and territorial then. They come in on the fight.

I have a small open reed call that I have called a ton or predators in North America and Africa as well as Elk , deer, bears etc. It is made from an antler and it can hide entirely in my closed hand.

Here's some open reed calls to give you an idea of size.

They are not short on volume and I blow them loud. Some callers start off low and increase the volume. I go hard. If a screaming rabbit scares a coyote, there's something wrong with the coyote.

Some places a decoy may help. The electric ones work well but again need batteries.

Here's one I built years ago. In Alberta the ground is frozen and I'm too lazy to dink with pounding and pulling stakes. I just set this down and pull out the antenna and call it good.

The antenna swivels and is extendable. Any little breeze moves the feather. It reminds me of a magpie on an dead deer.

I do not believe you will ever fool a coyote's nose. He makes his living with it, 24/7. If he smells you he will leave 99% of the time in a hurry. So I don't bother with cover scents etc.

I do like camo. I've shot coyotes when I just wore jeans or whatever but the camo puts me in the mood. Kind of like Victoria's secret but for killing stuff.
I mostly use a ghillie suit and it is deadly. I also like King'dd camo products. They look good and seem to stand up well.

Setup with some elevation if you can, and watch the wind. If they can come in downwind, which they try to do, [it's that nose thing], then they will bust you before you get the shot.

When you get to where you want to set up, get it done. don't stand there with your buddy talking and trying to figure out where you think 'they' will come from. I've seen guys stand out int he open on a hill and take turns pointing to which direction they think the coyotes will stampede in from. all the time in the distance I can hear the coyotes slapping their knees and laughing and the bozos in camo with scent control waving their arms like they are trying to get lift all while being inconspicuous.

Add binos and a rangefinder.

HOLD ON THE FUR and WATCH THE WIND. If there were two 'most' important things to remember.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-07-2016, 03:14 PM

I met Redfrog here in town a couple years ago as he was going up North for a hunt and he gave my son and me a demo on some calls he had with him. Hair standing on neck kinda sound, really cool to hear the custom made calls he talks about and i'm sure the neighbors did the what the heck was that to their spouses.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:51 PM

Default electric or mouth blown

I have both but I will bet that a little latex dollar store squeek toy has called in more coyotes and foxes than all the mouth and electric calls put together. On an incredibly cold day I lured a big white male coyote over 300 yards with mouse squeeks. Plastic ones get hard in cold weather but the latex ones work to well below -20.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:37 PM

When I get home, I'll post a pic of a custom call that I got from Redfrog as a prize in his name that puppy contest that he had a few years ago. It is sweet!
Old 12-07-2016, 09:16 PM

Just this past fall, I lip squeaked a nice male in from abut 300 yards as I was deer hunting and it was a slow night. I own numerous ecallers, from fox pro, to primos, to wildlife tech, they all work well. And personally, I do prefer mouth calls. You control everything.
The difference for me over the past couple years that has a add a huge difference is having a motion decoy to take the eyes off you. Increased our production ten fold.
You can fool their ears with calls, and their eyes with decoys, but you'll never fool their noses, so be uber mindful of the wind. I've recently started using coyote urine spray to help. I'll hit the trails and collect the stuff when it's frozen, put her in a bag, and then put it in a bottle. Spray liberally!
And I've turned to diaphragm howlers as well. Once you get the hang of it, man, they sound way better.
Be weary of your approach into stands. Watch the wind. Don't silhouette yourself over hill tops. Close your doors quietly. Let things settle down before you call. I've sat for 30 minutes sometimes before I start calling, because I felt I was too noisy coming in.
And this year, I'm experimenting with ammunition loads under 3000 fps, too minimize fur damage.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:33 PM

Redfrog, do you sell custom calls?

-Billy Molls
Old 12-08-2016, 07:42 AM

"I do like camo. I've shot coyotes when I just wore jeans or whatever but the camo puts me in the mood. Kind of like Victoria's secret but for killing stuff."

Best line, ever.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:40 AM

Hey redfrog. That second call from the right looks like a rr call. Am I right?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:13 AM

Never underestimate the power of what you have at hand, the lip squeak has called in many. This was in an area coyotes cannot be shot currently.

Click on the little pic below for video.

LC
Old 12-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
Hey redfrog. That second call from the right looks like a rr call. Am I right?
I have some of Rick's calls, but I don't think that's one.

Chuck I used to sell a bunch, but got away from it when grandkids started to pile up. I still have a few around, but not many.

The lip squeak is deadly and I'm always impressed with how far away that coyote can hear it..I've had coyotes come in often from 300 yards with a lip squeak when they "hung up" and nothing would move them.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:48 PM

Thanks guys - I bought a mouth call, - foxpro "wildfire" electronic call, and a movement decoy as well. I'll get out and try them out on coyotes this weekend (hopefully the batteries can handle this cold snap!).
To be fair though, I tried it out in my backyard a few times and it definitely got the neighbourhood dogs all excited and howling... listening to my b;tchy neighbour shrieking at her dog to shut up definitely made it worth the $300 investment - even if I don't ever call in a coyote with it!
Old 12-08-2016, 09:27 PM

Right on red frog. Appreciate the advice. Glad I'm west of bodo a few townships!
Old 12-08-2016, 11:20 PM

Sorry redfrog but gotta ask what's your weapon of choice for the dogs if you don't mind me asking I would way rather snare and trap but with the shoulder mite I would rather look at them first. If they got the bad shoulder I just let them eat mice. I am 223 with 55gr fmj just so you know and a bit hard on fur unless it's just my own bad luck.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Sorry redfrog but gotta ask what's your weapon of choice for the dogs if you don't mind me asking I would way rather snare and trap but with the shoulder mite I would rather look at them first. If they got the bad shoulder I just let them eat mice. I am 223 with 55gr fmj just so you know and a bit hard on fur unless it's just my own bad luck.
I really like the 220 Swift. 52 gr hp match. Graveyard dead and not a lot of damage if I shoot at 200+ and stay off the shoulder. Deadly much farther than that.

I have Ruger #1 in .223 that is just deadly to 300 yds consistently and out t0 400 if conditions are right. Ranged distanced little wind, standing target. They die surprised.

I don't like the FMJ cause I'm too lazy to walk after the runners and then drag the buggers all the way back to the truck. I do shoot American Eagle 55gr hp in my .223 and have no complaints. Dead coyotes and no damage.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:00 PM

Thanks for reply fella. Pretty handy with needle and thread but nice to keep it to a minimum. Appreciate all your info on calling as well. Electronic calls always sounded a little 'canned' to me.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:33 AM

Default foxpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolHammer View Post
Try the search function on this - there's quite a few threads on the topic. In short though, you do get what you pay for, and FoxPro has excellent customer service.

Here's a couple from last year around the time I was doing my research:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=269245

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=268195

FWIW, I went with the FoxPro Crossfire with FoxJack decoy.
Thanks for the advise! I'm curious of the range and sound quality?
Old 12-10-2016, 10:35 AM

Default mouth call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
which mouth call do you use?
Old 12-10-2016, 10:52 AM

Default redfrog

Great advise,
I live and hunt in a area quite flat and open, I'm curious what would be the best FoxPro or mouth piece to carry longer distances? I hate making a bad investment when there is a possibility of purchasing the right product!
Old 12-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkahunter73 View Post
which mouth call do you use?
I have several that I use, depending on time of year, my mood, time of day, etc.
With coyote calling my motto is 'Semper Gumby"......Always flexible.

I have horn howlers, one delrin howler that is awesome, several open reed calls made from wood or antler or delrin, or acrylic. a couple closed reed calls that I use before the weather gets cold enough to freeze the moisture that collects on the reed and I even have one commercial call. It is bite call from primos I believe. It does some exciting bird sounds.

I have 4 or 5 lanyards with 4 or 5 calls on each. I switch when I get tired of hearing them.

One howler, 2 or 3 open reeds and a closed or bite reed call. The open reed calls can do a wide range of coyote vocals as well as distress sounds.

The howls will be higher pitched than a howler and that can be a good thing as it is less threatening. There is a language to calling but some callers get hung up on worrying about it. Try to howl . If you say the wrong thing, he may come in to breed you instead of killing you.lol How bad can it be?lol

Barks and challenges have a place in the basket, but if you use them at the wrong time, the coyote may hang up or leave.

In a month I'll go back and forth with a coyote with a challenge. I'll try to mimic him but a little higher pitch, like a younger coyote would use. I want to build his confidence. We sometimes go back and forth for 10 or 15 minutes, with 'Yo Momma" this and "Yo Momma' that, until he's really stoked, and then I'll give him "Yep, That 's what she said last night" and then it's "Game On'.

Here' a pic of my delrin howler. It will do any coyote vocal I can come up with as well as a deer distress or moose or elk calf distress or a cow moose call.

And here's an open reed distress call. it will do distress as well as some coyote vocals. I've also had bull elk come in roaring and blowing snot in response to this call. It gets real western when you're on the ground between two big bulls and there's less than 200 feet between them.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I have several that I use, depending on time of year, my mood, time of day, etc.

With coyote calling my motto is 'Semper Gumby"......Always flexible.

I have horn howlers, one delrin howler that is awesome, several open reed calls made from wood or antler or delrin, or acrylic. a couple closed reed calls that I use before the weather gets cold enough to freeze the moisture that collects on the reed and I even have one commercial call. It is bite call from primos I believe. It does some exciting bird sounds.

I have 4 or 5 lanyards with 4 or 5 calls on each. I switch when I get tired of hearing them.

One howler, 2 or 3 open reeds and a closed or bite reed call. The open reed calls can do a wide range of coyote vocals as well as distress sounds.

The howls will be higher pitched than a howler and that can be a good thing as it is less threatening. There is a language to calling but some callers get hung up on worrying about it. Try to howl . If you say the wrong thing, he may come in to breed you instead of killing you.lol How bad can it be?lol

Barks and challenges have a place in the basket, but if you use them at the wrong time, the coyote may hang up or leave.

In a month I'll go back and forth with a coyote with a challenge. I'll try to mimic him but a little higher pitch, like a younger coyote would use. I want to build his confidence. We sometimes go back and forth for 10 or 15 minutes, with 'Yo Momma" this and "Yo Momma' that, until he's really stoked, and then I'll give him "Yep, That 's what she said last night" and then it's "Game On'.

Here' a pic of my delrin howler. It will do any coyote vocal I can come up with as well as a deer distress or moose or elk calf distress or a cow moose call.

And here's an open reed distress call. it will do distress as well as some coyote vocals. I've also had bull elk come in roaring and blowing snot in response to this call. It gets real western when you're on the ground between two big bulls and there's less than 200 feet between them.

Are these local products I can easily find? They look great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2016, 10:38 PM
Gone Hunting

The white delrin call is no longer made. I've had it about 12 years or more. Called hundreds of coyotes and had to replace the reed once. I may have a couple of the open reed wooden ones in 'my stuff'.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post

Right on ! It is also important to learn and understand the various Coyote vocalizations, what they mean and when and how to us them. Random howls will work some of the time but knowing how to respond correctly will often get you doubles .. or more.