Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-04-2017, 12:08 PM

Default "Dressed" Trebels on your spoons / cranks.

Hey all. Another question for the group.

I have been throwing spoons and cranks for years, pretty much one of the first types of presentations I learned how to fish. They work fine with normal trebles, sometimes if its a bad brand I will switch them out and add new ones.

This weekend I was checking out the WSS clearance sale and picked up some "dressed" treble hooks. They are like a normal trebles except they have a bunch of colored fluff tied to them.

My question is twofold:
A: do these trebles negatively effect the action of your lure?
B: what kind of spoons or cranks do they work best on?

I slipped one on one of my red devil spoons and the fluffed skirt looked so enticing wobbling gently behind the spoon. It looked so good it just has to work doesn't it?! Haha. I picked up a couple dirrent types. One has red/white dress, the other a white/black/chartreus dress.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

-Ben

PS: I might be wrong but these seem deadly for a topwater lure, where the skirt would be fluttering just under the surface.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:47 PM

Default Dressed trebles

Very, very many factors involved with this scenario. Water depth, clarity, sunshine, overcast, fish are aggressive or passive. The dressed trebles should not affect the action of the spoon if the proper size. No different if you attach a piece of bait or a minnow, sometimes it works sometimes not, have to adjust to the situation or feeding habits. Try and try again the fish will tell you what is working and what isn't. Good luck with your experiments, the only way to find out.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:15 PM

I've always questioned the effectiveness of these hooks. With well over 10,000 pike caught through the years I can honestly say anything on the back end of a treble will turn off a pike in an instant. The smallest piece of weed and not a chance... Through the ice we used to jig a spoon with a shiner and it was deadly for ling, never for pike though...

Mepps spinners with the feathers work.

Can't say for certain on trout, but I wouldn't do it for pike or walleye.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:51 PM

I would think it's the type of lure as much as anything a slow working spoon like a Len Thompson dressing will hurt. Where as a deadly dick which works faster can handle. Some jerk baits have dressed hooks where other cranks don't .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 10-04-2017, 09:26 PM

Stop and go type cranks, spinners, and top waters - yes. Suspending baits are balanced, so the ones that have them are ok but I wouldn't add it after the fact.

Spoons, trolling cranks, rattle traps - no, it messes up the action.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:38 PM

I like dressed trebles , you can add scent to them (where permitted) and they hold the scent a lot better.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:57 PM

I have never used them but their effectiveness would depend on the lure.

Many crankbaits would have their action compromised by the extra drag and weight.

Spoons it would depend on the size of the spoon and lure.

All you can do is test it out and see what lures they work well on.

Only thing I have ever used dressed trebles on is the little spinners that come that way. For some reason I have always had better luck with the ones that have bare hooks.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:12 AM

thanks for the posts guys. I agree these would work better for stop & go jerk baits and things of that nature. Maybe a larger spoon that won't be as effected by a bit of extra drag.

For trolling cranks / spoons I will stick to bare hooks as I agree it might mess with the action.

I will report back with results. Next time I fish i will try one lure with and one without.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:54 PM

Update... just got back from the NSR.

The dressed trebles work!

Got 3 fish on shore, had a couple more bite including one that bit me off.

2 Pike and 1 walleye, 1 of the pike was nice and chunky probably about 5 pounds.

Was using an Agila spinner xtra deep (with the long blade) with the dressed treble. I even used some minnow scent spray on the dressing and it held the scent really well.

I tried a spoon with a dressed treble but didn't get any action on it. Definitely seems more suited for spinners anyways. The way the dress flutters behind the spinner leaving a little trail of scent was just perfect!

I caught the walleye on a 3.5" swimbait though, so it was only the pike that took the dressed spinner.

Might head back this evening with Timidhc and give it another shot!
Old 10-10-2017, 06:57 AM

I think it depends on how your fishing them and what mood the fish are in. For wallys i do like them normally, especially in the early spring where they follow lots but wont bite until you give it a twitch or 2. But if theyre really aggressive then i find it better to not have any so that they are focusing on the whole lure and not just the tail...

With pike i think someone already mentioned - ive always found if they have a trailer of some sort i have never done well with them on anything but a crankbait... i find they get distracted by the tail and start nipping at the back of it instead of coming at the entire hook. So once again if theyre feeling very lethargic and i cant get them to commit i will normally have a hook with a feather trailer that i can stop once in a while and give it some twitches.

On a side note - if you have 2 hooks on the crankbait dont put it on the front hook, only the back. Im going to guess that it would throw the action off.

At the end of the day i find that the hook i do well with is the one i have confidence in, so decide what you like and go from there!!!

Good luck man!!!