Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Default Satellite view

I would like to fish the North Sask River a bit more. I would like to learn the channels and sandbars better. There are aerial pics available but all the ones I have looked at are out of date. Anything in the last month or two would be good.

Anybody got any suggestions?
Old 10-08-2017, 02:11 PM

The only way to get recent images that are good quality is to pay for them. It would have to be this year as a number of these spots changed this spring as they do almost every year.

It is not hard to find companies that offer satellite imagery but I don't have personal experience with any of them so can't be of any more help on which one to choose.

I just look at what is available on google/bing etc and then go explore. Some spots will be slightly different but you will get an idea of things.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:34 PM

We've been slamming giant Walleye on the South Sask river downstream of Medicine Hat all the way to the border in the past 4 weeks...couldn't have done it without Google Maps! Not only for river contours and deep holes but locating farm building and land owners for permission along with suitable launches for the boat, amazing tool!!
Old 10-10-2017, 11:23 AM

Where are you looking for? On a real nice calm blue sky day I could map it with my drone for you

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....