Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-01-2017, 09:25 PM

Default Another ice shack built

Well i got bored this spring and decided to build a smal 6x8 ice fishing shelter! I used 3" channel for the skid,2x3 studs for the walls, insulated,wired for generator for lights and pluggins, camper door and frame, camper screw out windows and 2 small vents. ill use a big buddy heater for heat this winter and see if it will be warm enough and if it isnt ill probably install a micro wood stove for next year. I put 4 holes in it(1 in each corner).Also fabbed a 20 pound propane bottle mount on the outside of the skid and tubed supply inside, i bought a couple of sheets of aluminum diamond plate and cut them to size to rivet to the outside of the skid to reduce wind from blowing through the skid and freezing the holes faster.I sized the fishing holes on the floor so that the 5 gallon pails (bottoms cut out) would nicely slip in them for a sleeve. I forgot to take completed inside pictures, anyways enjoy the pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:33 PM

Thumbs up

That's bad ass!! Nice job
Old 10-01-2017, 09:44 PM

Amazing , right on!
Old 10-01-2017, 10:31 PM

Another great build!

Is this so you can use it closer to home then the other one?
Old 10-02-2017, 07:04 AM

Very nice, from experience, carry some 2x4 pieces to set it on when you found the spot. Also a jack all is a nice thing to have inside to help break it free from the ice. On ours, we also picked up some hole extensions to help keep the wind from coming through the hole. Black pails with the bottom cut off work also.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:57 AM

What’s the best way to leave it on the ice while your gone ? Should it be jacked up off the ice ?
Old 10-02-2017, 09:05 AM

Oh and where do you get those little windows ? They look slick and work good I bet
Old 10-02-2017, 09:26 AM
Gone Hunting

Beauty eh!!!!!

How do you secure it from vandals? There was a time when that would never be a concern, but it is a big one for me today.

Hope you enjoy yours lots of good fishing days ahead with that "shack".

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-02-2017, 10:00 AM

Default Ice shack

Beauty Eh? That's gonna be awesome. What thickness of plywood did you use for the walls? Any idea on a final weight?
Old 10-02-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru fisher View Post
What’s the best way to leave it on the ice while your gone ? Should it be jacked up off the ice ?
You always want to leave at least a 2x4 width from the bottom of your skid to the ice so that it does not freeze in with any flood ice.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:01 AM

With our shack we lay the skids on some 2x2's to keep it off the ice. Then skirt it and done.

Not much you can do to secure it from vandals. Best bet is to take anything out you don't want to go missing.
Although, I do have one friend that has a cellular trail can inside and if someone enters the cabin it triggers the cam and sends him a few pics. Then he knows if someone is inside.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru fisher View Post
Oh and where do you get those little windows ? They look slick and work good I bet
I found an auction place outside of Sherwood park that had some of these windows off of an old camper, you could also try an RV auto wrecker or kijiji, kijiji is where I found the camper door and frame from a guy that was parting out a camper, and yes they work good, not big enough for someone to squeeze through! lol
Old 10-02-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Beauty eh!!!!!

How do you secure it from vandals? There was a time when that would never be a concern, but it is a big one for me today.

Hope you enjoy yours lots of good fishing days ahead with that "shack".
The camper door has a lock on it and I wont keep anything in it so if someone does break in there will be nothing to take, the part of the lake I will have it always has a guy or a part of his family on the lake that keeps an eye on things but I am not too worried about it.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzibar View Post
Beauty Eh? That's gonna be awesome. What thickness of plywood did you use for the walls? Any idea on a final weight?
I used 3/8 treated for exterior walls and 3/8 standard for interior walls,1/2 treated for the roof and 3/4 treated for the floor and put a 1/4 rubber floor gym type matting in the interior that is non slip. (http://www.perfectsurfaces.ca/Gator-Floor-~-Rolled.cfm)
As far as the final weight I would have to guess that it has to be between 1200 and 1600 pounds but I do not know for sure, I know that my side by side will be able to pull it around.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekka View Post
With our shack we lay the skids on some 2x2's to keep it off the ice. Then skirt it and done.

Not much you can do to secure it from vandals. Best bet is to take anything out you don't want to go missing.
Although, I do have one friend that has a cellular trail can inside and if someone enters the cabin it triggers the cam and sends him a few pics. Then he knows if someone is inside.
That's a neat idea with the cell trail cam! I wouldn't care if someone wanted to use mine as long as I knew they would leave it as they found it, CLEAN!!
Old 10-02-2017, 02:44 PM

Looks great. Metal skids are the way to go easy to get a torch on them to free it from the ice if it freezes in. Only thing I would add is some reflector tape or colour as it will be hard to see in the dark or in the blowing snow.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:13 PM

That looks great! Nice work.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Default X2 on the reflector Tape!!!

You are Too White on that build. Wrap it all around with reflector tape. Do it at two levels, one low and one high. OR, just Paint in red or orange a couple of stripes.

A Skidoo doing 100 KM an hour will have little reaction time in the dark if you do not have one tape set high to catch the headlight from a distance.

Now, you have one more step to go. If you can afford a 100 watt Colman Solar Panel at CT, bolt it to the roof, and then put a deep cycle battery in the shack. Use LED strip lights around the walls to allow you to see inside. They use next to no power so the battery will easily last all day or all night for you.

As for putting the steel skids on planks, get some old pallets and use the 1 x 6s to park the steel skids on. Steel gains heat and in next to no time your steel skids will be 6 inches into the ice and next to impossible to pull out.

Most important, put in a battery powered CO detector. You have no ldea how CO builds up, and even if you think the Shack has a proper chimney a wind will push the exhaust from a heater back in.

Drewski
Old 10-08-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
You are Too White on that build. Wrap it all around with reflector tape. Do it at two levels, one low and one high. OR, just Paint in red or orange a couple of stripes.

A Skidoo doing 100 KM an hour will have little reaction time in the dark if you do not have one tape set high to catch the headlight from a distance.

Now, you have one more step to go. If you can afford a 100 watt Colman Solar Panel at CT, bolt it to the roof, and then put a deep cycle battery in the shack. Use LED strip lights around the walls to allow you to see inside. They use next to no power so the battery will easily last all day or all night for you.

As for putting the steel skids on planks, get some old pallets and use the 1 x 6s to park the steel skids on. Steel gains heat and in next to no time your steel skids will be 6 inches into the ice and next to impossible to pull out.

Most important, put in a battery powered CO detector. You have no ldea how CO builds up, and even if you think the Shack has a proper chimney a wind will push the exhaust from a heater back in.

Drewski
Thanks for the concern and advice Drewski, a CO detector is installed, putting reflectors on it is a good idea because I am NOT going to repaint it. I also thought about the solar panel thing but I cant be bothered so a small generator is what its going to be to operate the LED bulbs and a couple of outlets. I have a LARGE ice hut I built last year that is fully decked out and this small shack is for friends/kids when they come out or if the fishing gets slow in my large ice hut. I have lots of cross ventilation if needed to ensure lots of fresh air, like I mentioned I am going to try a big buddy heater in it this year and probably install a micro wood stove next year. I had no issue with the steel skids on my other shack, I just made sure that I at least had a 2x3 width when I left it so that when I went back on days off that it wouldn't have sunk and froze in.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:39 AM

I get mine up off ice with some 4x6 blocks then skirt all four sides with 3/8 inch plywood . Every time you open the holes up overflow splashes underneath and builds up. For cross flow ventilation I bought 2 toilet flanges short piece of 4 inch plastic pipe and 2 clean outs just glue them in screw flanges on either end of shack with appropriate holes cut out. You just unscrew plastic cleanouts to open or close for fresh air.