Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 PM

Default senneker snare

Does anyone use these kill spring snares? I picked up a few but not sure how to set them,can someone post a picture of one that is set?

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 12-21-2011, 09:16 PM
AO Sponsor

Go to martysenneker.com and click on SNARE PRODUCTS. There's a couple of pictures and some info on building snares and such things.

Good luck!
Old 12-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Banned

A few of the guys in our area have tried them on wolf sets. One guy said they froze up on him, one guy thought they were ok but doesn't use them anymore.

I haven't used any but had a look and as far as I can see it's just more iron to hide.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:34 PM
AO Sponsor

http://www.martysenneker.com/DSC02184B.JPG

Say 101, the new snare has a trigger now. I would imagine that your buddies haven't tried that yet. Good wolf men are killing wolves with 1/16" and 5/64" on a regular basis with the triggered version. Can't do that with a plain old snare lock snare. If you understand what that means, as in what can now be done in terms of snaring wolves effectively, well let's say the wolves now are in big trouble and the moose and the caribou are going to get a break, and I will spell it out (just in case), way more wolves will be captured with the lighter cable than the heavier, and you will also catch them faster due to less refusals; both statements made looking at the long term effect.

But everyone is always entitled to an opinion, ideally and educated opinion, not the contrary. Some like the simplicity of a basic snare with no junk, thick cable and no BAD function. Each to his own!

Happy snaring!
Old 12-23-2011, 04:19 AM

Marty, thanks for the link,turned out my snare didn't loop through the break away,ended up opening it up and looping it according to the picture....now its easy to see how things work....

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...